DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

I read enough reviews to know what to expect from the human characters. They aren't hugely developed but I never found them annoying. And I like that Aaron Taylor Johnson's character acts as a guide to both the monsters and the audience. I'm hoping Ken Watanabe returns and is batshit crazy, to the point that he thinks Godzilla is his pet. The Godzilla vs MUTO fight is great, I kind of wanted to jump out of my seat and start cheering. Yes, the cutting from fights is a bit annoying but the final fight is worth the wait. 

Yeah, that's my real take away.  Whatever complaints I might have, the last half hour or maybe 45 minutes is damn near perfect, balls out kaiju action, with maybe the best finish to a movie fight I've ever seen.

• Like 1

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/godzilla-2-sequel-warner-bros-legendary-gareth-edwards/

Unsurprisingly, Warner Brothers is starting prep on a sequel.

What I am a bit unsure about is the statement from Deadline that WB and Legendary are prepping it together, given that this was the last film on the 9 year working relationship between the two, and Legendary is now signed up with Universal going forward.  It's possible that because they did this film together, they are still contractually both involved, but that wasn't the impression I had gotten from previous press statements.

At any rate, sequel is headed rapidly towards the inevitable green light.

Honestly, like I said before, if you start the franchise with Godzilla being a force for good, I'm not sure Mothra fits anywhere, no matter how much I love her.  She can't fight Godzilla now, and we don't need her to make Big G change his evil ways.  She could just straight team up with him, but you lose something there from her best stuff.

King Ghidorah is where it's at for this franchise.  And if they want a big monster rally melee at the end, then Rodan, Anguirus, maybe a Baragon or something really great like Titanosaurus would probably work better.

Of course, it's all a moot point if they don't shell out cash to Toho to get the licenses for the rest of the bestiary.  Otherwise, we might get stuck with more personality free new bad guys.  Not that I hate the MUTOs, but I certainly didn't love them.

(They could always go really crazy and bring back Gigan.  I mean, that right there is one hell of a crazy monster design.)

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/godzilla-2-sequel-warner-bros-legendary-gareth-edwards/

Unsurprisingly, Warner Brothers is starting prep on a sequel.

What I am a bit unsure about is the statement from Deadline that WB and Legendary are prepping it together, given that this was the last film on the 9 year working relationship between the two, and Legendary is now signed up with Universal going forward.  It's possible that because they did this film together, they are still contractually both involved, but that wasn't the impression I had gotten from previous press statements.

At any rate, sequel is headed rapidly towards the inevitable green light.

I believe Interstellar is the last WB/Legendary film since Warner Bros. has the rights to distribute it outside the U.S.

Rodan is nearly as good as the original Godzilla even though the storyline is pretty much Them! only with a radioactive pterodactyl.  It is arguably the best pure sci-fi daikaiju movie that Toho put out.

So Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen go from being married in Godzilla to being brother and sister in the Avengers movies, that seems kind of awkward.

So, are Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson dating or something? They're husband and wife here in Godzilla and they will be brother and sister in Avengers 2.

Aww.  You hate my post a couple pages before yours.

Which is okay since I seem to hate all of Rippa's movie posts.

So Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen go from being married in Godzilla to being brother and sister in the Avengers movies, that seems kind of awkward.

So, are Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson dating or something? They're husband and wife here in Godzilla and they will be brother and sister in Avengers 2.

Aww.  You hate my post a couple pages before yours.

Which is okay since I seem to hate all of Rippa's movie posts.

Maybe they'll have a Jaime-Cersei Lannister type relationship.

They could go with the incest storyline that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch had in the Ultimate Universe if they wanna sink Marvel Studios for good.

Disney will NEVER put that onscreen, but you already know this.

They could go with the incest storyline that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch had in the Ultimate Universe if they wanna sink Marvel Studios for good.

Disney will NEVER put that onscreen, but you already know this.

A man can dream.