DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

Bullshit.  I'm watching GODZILLA TOKYO S.O.S. right now and let me tell you when that little kid made the Mothra symbol out of school desks, and Mothra showed up and gave the "'sup" head nod before flying off to kick Godzilla's ass...well...it got a little dusty in my living room.

• Like 1

Man I am not an insane kaiju scholar like some of you (I have never even seen a Gamera movie for fuck's sake), but the two first films I ever owned on video tape were Night of the Living Dead, which I didn't get around to completely until I was about 11 and immediately became my favorite film for life, and Godzilla vs. Megalon. I know it is mostly hated, but I love that film to the core of my essence. I also love Godzilla's Revenge, just for the charming sentimentality of it. Godzilla vs. Mothra (OG) is great as I remember as well as vs. Ghidorah (OG)... or SPACE MONSTER ZERO if I recall correctly. TNT Network had the best Monstervision fests with all of these as a kid. Also much love for the Mechagodzillas for all the blood.

I promised my mom I will go with her to see the new one but we want to wait for the crowds to peel off so I turned down a friend of mine for an opening night invite. Probably a better Mother's Day gift than anything I could have given her :)

Oh, and of course it it pointless to talk about how great and heartbreaking the Japanese language version of Godzilla/Gojira is. That's just a masterpiece.

EDIT: holy shit Destroyah is on TV right now. Godzilla is a ticking time bomb/nuclear reactor? Pretty prescient after Fukushima. 

He was probably joking, Gareth Edwards comes across as quiet but he's a really funny guy judging by the panels and interviews I've seen.

Going to see this tomorrow, so pleased it's doing so well. More Godzilla! Fuck yeah!

He was joking.  I think he just doesn't take the question seriously, meaning it's just stupid movie shit we're not supposed to question because it's a stupid plot device.  A nuke that was powerful enough to make a 1954 bomb look like a firecracker was detonated offshore.  San Francisco was unaffected, just shut up basically.

But yeah Edwards has a very dry sense of humor.  Like when he said he cast Cranston because of Malcom in the Middle and said he never watched Breaking Bad before in his life.  People believed it.  Unfortunately, they get Cranston and totally waste him in a nothing role.

Man I am not an insane kaiju scholar like some of you (I have never even seen a Gamera movie for fuck's sake), but the two first films I ever owned on video tape were Night of the Living Dead, which I didn't get around to completely until I was about 11 and immediately became my favorite film for life, and Godzilla vs. Megalon. I know it is mostly hated, but I love that film to the core of my essence. I also love Godzilla's Revenge, just for the charming sentimentality of it. Godzilla vs. Mothra (OG) is great as I remember as well as vs. Ghidorah (OG)... or SPACE MONSTER ZERO if I recall correctly. TNT Network had the best Monstervision fests with all of these as a kid. Also much love for the Mechagodzillas for all the blood.

I promised my mom I will go with her to see the new one but we want to wait for the crowds to peel off so I turned down a friend of mine for an opening night invite. Probably a better Mother's Day gift than anything I could have given her :)

Dude, I have almost an indentical story. We had a tape of about 4 Godzilla flicks we taped off MonsterVision and I must have watched each of those about 50 times each.

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero is definitely one.

• Like 1

Went to see this yesterday.  Definitely struggled during the no-monster portions of the film and would've like to have seen more actual monster footage:

especially the Hawaii brawl and the female MUTO tearing through Vegas.

San Francisco payoff was pretty good.  Movie could've definitely benefitted from a couple more easter eggs but licensing may be a factor.  RT Freshness Rating of between 70% to 75% seems about accurate.

Saw this last night. Really didn't enjoy it except for the final half hour or so. Seemed like a lot of folks in the theater were also disappointed. Granted, I'm not some big Godzilla fan like the rest of y'all seem to be, so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much. I didn't care about any of the characters except Cranston who wasn't in it enough to help the story along. Overall, I was pretty disappointed.

Bullshit. I'm watching GODZILLA TOKYO S.O.S. right now and let me tell you when that little kid made the Mothra symbol out of school desks, and Mothra showed up and gave the "'sup" head nod before flying off to kick Godzilla's ass...well...it got a little dusty in my living room.

To be fair, I haven't seen any after Destroyah, so maybe Toho found a way to make a giant, cotton-consuming insect threatening enough. Maybe.

Count me in for those never understanding how a giant moth could ever be threatening. It's a fucking moth. Smush it and wipe the gross moth dust off.

• Like 1

It's a bug, Fowler.   With flamable wings to boot.

I also cannot fathom Mothra's popularity but there it is.  It is the only Toho daikaiju to helm it's own franchise other than Godzilla and is second only to Godzilla in total theatrical appearances.

A quality argument can be made that Gamera was pretty much a pastiche of Godzilla and Mothra:  gigantic lizard anamorph to Godzilla with Mothra's benevolence and compassion.

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it a good deal. I never found any of the acting or characters to be bad though I agree that Cranston was probably the strongest and his role was too short. I dug the build to the monster fights though that teaser in Hawaii was bs.

So, are Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson dating or something?   They're husband and wife here in Godzilla and they will be brother and sister in Avengers 2.

It's a bug, Fowler. With flamable wings to boot.

I also cannot fathom Mothra's popularity but there it is. It is the only Toho daikaiju to helm it's own franchise other than Godzilla and is second only to Godzilla in total theatrical appearances.

A quality argument can be made that Gamera was pretty much a pastiche of Godzilla and Mothra: gigantic lizard anamorph to Godzilla with Mothra's benevolence and compassion.

Its the two little ladies

Have we stopped just using "it's Japan" as an answer to those kinds of questions?

Look, I'm not denying that everything about Mothra is damnably weird.  Tiny twin faires that summon him in what are pretty much the only musical sequences in the entire damn genre, a giant moth (and sometimes a giant larvae) that is also a protector God of Infant Island, who has a shockingly good record in fights against Godzilla, and is also responsible for making Godzilla become a hero...  Damnably weird, but I love it.

Weekend estimates have it coming in way higher than was expected on Thursday, but a bit below where it appeared to be heading after Thursday night/Friday.  93.2, which does somewhat imply that it was heavily front-loaded on Friday.  Will put it slightly behind Cap 2, and slightly ahead of TASM 2, slotting it as the second best weekend of the year.

So, are Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson dating or something? They're husband and wife here in Godzilla and they will be brother and sister in Avengers 2.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson is married to some director who is 23 years older than him.

You fucking assholes.

Mothra watched her friend Battra die saving our stupid asses from ourselves.  And instead of lashing out and destroying us for the maddeningly ignorant monkeys that we are, she voluntarily flew out into OUTER FUCKING SPACE to SINGLE-HANDEDLY deflect an asteroid from coming to hit earth in 1999.  Abandoning her home and family and almost certainly at the cost of her own life...all out of loyalty to an oath she made.

AND WE WENT AND MADE ARMAGEDDON ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you...you ungrateful fuckers are complaining about wings and singing fairies?

IN A WORLD FULL OF MONSTERS WHO WANT TO KILL YOU A GIANT FUCKING MOTH IS PATROLLING THE SKIES WHILE YOU SLEEP TRYING TO KEEP YOU ALIVE11111111HOWIS TAHTNOTTHECOOLESTHTINGEVER

Also, Mothra is what suddenly made these movies makes sense to my wife so that I get to watch them whenever I want now...yeah...in the real world outside your internet wrestling bubble, chicks dig Mothra.

• Like 3