DVDVR Message Board

Everything I wanted and several things I didn't know I wanted. There was even a friggin' LLOYD KAUFMAN cameo.

Somebody needs to manufacture

Dancing Groot

immediately.

It even passes the Bechdel test.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dug the hell out of this. 

Howard the Duck got quite the reaction where we saw it. Gasps and people laughing their asses off.

My reaction: "FUCK YES."

Cindy's reaction: "Oh hell no."

Did anyone else get a post-post credits surprise like we did in Long Island City?

Dolfan was waiting in line for the next viewing as we left.  :)

Thanos lackey killed by Ronan

Thanos lackey killed by Ronan

Really?  I knew Denisof was in the movie, but I thought he was the nerdy alien fence/pawn shop owner.

Nope, that was Christopher Fairbank, the mad scientist doctor who revives Leeloo in The Fifth Element.

I saw this yesterday and loved it.  Every main character was great and I was really surprised how well Cooper did as Rocket.  After the first few lines I stopped thinking who was voicing him and just got lost in it.  I didn't realize how many emotions a talking raccoon could get out of me.  I also look forward to another Nebula/Gamora fight.  Pratt was incredible and Groot was a lot of fun.

Yeah, I dug the hell out of this. 

Howard the Duck got quite the reaction where we saw it. Gasps and people laughing their asses off.

My reaction: "FUCK YES."

Cindy's reaction: "Oh hell no."

Did anyone else get a post-post credits surprise like we did in Long Island City?

Dolfan was waiting in line for the next viewing as we left.  :)

The beauty of the after credits is that someone pointed out

Howard the Duck is sitting in front of the cocoon that may have contained Adam Warlock from the after credits scene in The Dark World, and the cocoon is busted open

So where do they go with GotG2?  I'm not too familiar with other space villains or heroes that I'm not sure who they could introduce.  Again, I saw someone mention that one possibility could be

the search for Quill's father, who turns out to be Starfox, the brother of Thanos

Not sure if the second thing should be in spoilers since it is a theory, but it does involve a semi-spoiler from the film.

Who knew it was possible to make a comic book movie featuring a hero who kinda sorta had a tortured soul but still had a good heart and wasn't some brooding idiot?

My hat's off to James Gunn who actually remembered how to put a space opera on the screen.  Guardians of the Galaxy fucking rules.  The movie really is about the band getting together so I wasn't totally bummed about Ronan and Nebula not getting too much screen time.  Their materiel carried so much weight that you really couldn't deny their level of menace.

• Like 1

re: Star-Lord

I think they're sticking with his space king dad. They've pushed it to the forefront in the comic and that's something I think Bendis wouldn't have necessarily done if it wasn't part of the movie mythos. He's as tuned in as any writer at Marvel.

For the second movie, I'd go with the Universal Church of Truth. The Badoon works too though. There's a billion things they could do. I swear I thought the movie would end with Lonestar finding out he was a space prince.

I think they're sticking with his space king dad. They've pushed it to the forefront in the comic and that's something I think Bendis wouldn't have necessarily done if it wasn't part of the movie mythos. He's as tuned in as any writer at Marvel.

For the second movie, I'd go with the Universal Church of Truth. The Badoon works too though. There's a billion things they could do. I swear I thought the movie would end with Lonestar finding out he was a space prince.

According to Gunn, Marvel does not have the Badoon.

I would think they would add like Adam Warlock or someone like that for the next movie.  I'd really like Captain Marvel, but I think if they do Captain Marvel at all, it will be the Carol Danvers version.

According to Gunn, Marvel does not have the Badoon.

I would think they would add like Adam Warlock or someone like that for the next movie.  I'd really like Captain Marvel, but I think if they do Captain Marvel at all, it will be the Carol Danvers version.

How the hell don't they have the Badoon? 

They first appeared in Silver Surfer, I think but it's not like Adam Warlock didn't first appear in Fantastic Four and most of their appearances have been elsewhere.

I guess its because they first appeared in Silver Surfer and Fox has that.  Not sure how it all works.  Marvel apparently only partially owns Skrulls too.

I mean as I recall Black Panther first appeared in Fantastic Four as well, but I guess he's established enough as his own character that he would be licensed separately and he's not classified as a "Fantastic Four  character."  Have no idea how all this character copyright works though.

It's really weird to me that they can use the Kree but not the Skrulls, when both debuted in FF and have had significant impact outside that franchise.

A sick, evil part of me WAS kind of hoping for the Ruul, though. (I am the one person who legit loved Maximum Security, and I make no excuses.)

It has to have been mentioned already, but ... Lloyd Kaufman cameo! That just had to be a "I'll see your Stan Lee cameo and raise you" situation.

Absolutely wonderful film.

re: Star-Lord's father

Everyone in the theater assumed that Yondu's "star prince" insult was a slight directed at Quill's nickname, but I was under the impression that Yondu was directly jabbing Pete's real lineage as the son of J'Son of Spartax.

So, Annihilus in the sequel or straight to Thanos?