DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I thought they held off on ringing the bell with Taker/Lesnar?  I'm watching the replay and the bell clearly rings right as the three is counted. Oh, by the way, the report that the ref hesitated to make the three because he didn't know the finish..  I don't believe it. There was no hesitation. I've seen it three times now. He continues right through with his normal cadence, if you will.

Currently watching No Way Out 2001, kind of a forgotten show because everyone always talks about WM 17, but the WWF was on an amazing roll with the Rumble, NWO and Mania that year.

Damn good card overall.

I've been going through WWE's list of top 15 PPVs of all time, and NWO 2001 is probably my favorite complete show so far.  It may very well be the best secondary PPV of all time.

• Like 1

There are two pretty good midcard matches on the 10/22/84 MSG show. Valentine battles a returning Tito Santana, who seemed to be a surprise opponent, in a hate filled battle. Their are very few if any holds in this match and it closer resembles a boxing match. The hatred is so rich and so strong that it is all that is needed for a great match. In a nice spot Valentine tries to go for Santana's injured leg but Tito fights him off. I gave this ***1/2 even with the BS DQ finish, though it continues the feud building to the eventual cage match.

I gave a Nikolai Volkoff match *** which is something I never thought I would say. The match has a good story and the high rating is as much for the greatness of the Sarge as it is for the suckiness of Volkoff. Nikolai works the back in a variety of hold though the problem comes from most of his offense being rest holds. When given the chance Slaughter does all he can to make Volkoff look like a killer bumping all over the place. This match also ends in a BS finish with Sarge getting counted out after he gets the cobra clutch locked on while he is on the ring apron. This is worth a look.

I'm watching the 93 Rumble, and the crowd is quiet as it starts with Flair and Backlund, stays quiet as Shango comes out and quickly gets eliminated, remains quiet as DiBiase comes out and he and Flair double team Backlund, but then they lose their shit for the fifth entry... Brian Knobbs.

Jerry Lawyer comes in a few spots later to a lot of heat, only to Flair immediately run over to attack him, which seemed odd, but was awesome.

Edit: Right now, Flair, Lawler, Backlund, Tenryu, DiBiase are all in the ring, along with Wrestling Superstar Virgil.

Macho shivving Flair at Starrcade '95 is one of the grossest and most nonsensical blade jobs ever. I remember reading that Savage did it without Flair's permission too which is all kinds of insane if true.

Just watched Starrcade 83 earlier this week. Kevin Sullivan blading Scott McGhee was mighty hard to watch too. Really looked like Sullivan was digging in with the blade, and sure enough, was a substantial amount of blood coming in the result.

Just got the network and after 3 hour I decided to settle with the

WCCW TV I wanted to discover that territory. I plan on watching WM30 tommorow but I'm still mourning Warrior. I think I'll watch a few Shield matches instead

I'm watching the 93 Rumble, and the crowd is quiet as it starts with Flair and Backlund, stays quiet as Shango comes out and quickly gets eliminated, remains quiet as DiBiase comes out and he and Flair double team Backlund, but then they lose their shit for the fifth entry... Brian Knobbs.

Jerry Lawyer comes in a few spots later to a lot of heat, only to Flair immediately run over to attack him, which seemed odd, but was awesome.

Edit: Right now, Flair, Lawler, Backlund, Tenryu, DiBiase are all in the ring, along with Wrestling Superstar Virgil.

I liked that Rumble right up to the nonsensical elimination ending.

Watching Mania IX, and is that terrible looking Rana that Shawn Michaels goes for on Tatanka the first time he ever tried one? He takes forever setting it up, is awkward as heck getting on Tatanka's shoulders, and the final execution is pathetic looking. Unless Michaels was wasted, I hope that was his first time and that explains away how awful the move looked.

I am watching luger/flair at Great American bash 1988 and I was wondering if Luger messed up the blade job? because if he was covered in blood then the finish would of made sense.

I always figured that it was supposed to be a kind of wussy blade job to hammer home how stupid the rule was and Flair narrowly escaping.

Watched Bryan vs Shaemus @ ER

Punk & Bryan vs. Wyatts @ SS

Bryan vs Punk @ OTL

What other Bryan WWE PPV matches would you recommend viewing?

vs. Ziggler - Bragging Rights 2010

SD MITB - MITB 2011 (easily the best MITB match ever imo)

SD EC - Elimination Chamber 2012

w/Ryback & Kane vs. The Shield - TLC 2012

vs. Cena - Summerslam 2013

Also, all his PPV (and RAW) matches against Orton were excellent if you don't mind the bullshit endings. My favorite being the No DQ match against Orton before Summerslam last year.

Just watched the Rey vs. Psicosis from BATB 96 and holy shit at everything, especially that CRAZY senton from the top rope to the fucking floor by Psicosis.

That is one of my favorite spots of all time.  I don't know what went through his mind before he did that, but that had to take balls the size of Madagascar to even think about doing it.

• Like 1

Starrcade 84 is just plain bad. There is a good Blanchard/Steamboat TV Title match but it isn't as amazingly mind blowing and the main event just blows. Not an event that I wish to revisit anytime soon.

Working on Wrestlemania now and I have been wondering what was the deal with the rubber bands stuck to Albano's face? Also I wish the Santana/Valentine match would have been blown off here even if it would have shown up the main event.

Watched Bryan vs Shaemus @ ER

Punk & Bryan vs. Wyatts @ SS

Bryan vs Punk @ OTL

What other Bryan WWE PPV matches would you recommend viewing?

vs. Ziggler - Bragging Rights 2010

SD MITB - MITB 2011 (easily the best MITB match ever imo)

SD EC - Elimination Chamber 2012

w/Ryback & Kane vs. The Shield - TLC 2012

vs. Cena - Summerslam 2013

Also, all his PPV (and RAW) matches against Orton were excellent if you don't mind the bullshit endings. My favorite being the No DQ match against Orton before Summerslam last year.

I'll support all these.

I'd add:

vs. The Miz. Night of Champions 2010

vs. The Miz and John Morrison. Hell in a Cell 2010

Skimming through some of the ECW tv I'd like to start watching the shows in order, where should I start. 93 seems skippable I the Summer of 94 seems really be good over with Cactus & Funk and Scorpio is the man.

Watching a 93 Raw and just watched Scotty Steiner bust out a rather sloppy Steiner Screwdriver on a j-brone. They both looked terrified in that way that only enhancement talent facing the Steiners in that era could. The Steiners might be unprofessional dicks but they make for great TV.

I also have been watching early ECW and it is mostly pretty skippable at this point. Waiting for the show where Shane wins the NWA title, renounces it, and then dubs ECW as EXTREME to start really following on a regular basis. I don't think that's been put up yet, has it? I know it's pretty close to that point now.

• Like 1

Skimming through some of the ECW tv I'd like to start watching the shows in order, where should I start. 93 seems skippable I the Summer of 94 seems really be good over with Cactus & Funk and Scorpio is the man.

1993 isn't great at all. There's some cool stuff like Sabu and Shane Douglas, but a lot of it is pretty bad and Joey Styles hadn't yet found his commentary style (pardon the pun). I think the show following The Night the Line Was Crossed is a pretty good starting point since that's the match that started to get ECW really over within the internet/smark community.

I also have been watching early ECW and it is mostly pretty skippable at this point. Waiting for the show where Shane wins the NWA title, renounces it, and then dubs ECW as EXTREME to start really following on a regular basis. I don't think that's been put up yet, has it? I know it's pretty close to that point now.

Episode #72, which is uploaded on the website version of The Network, is the one that features Shane winning the NWA Title.