DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

Quick aside since I haven't seen it specifically mentioned here: the National Pro Wrestling Day show will be streaming live, free, on YouTube, this Saturday at 1 pm eastern. Could potentially mark the return of Chikara.

http://nationalprowrestlingday.com/

Speaking of, anyone confirmed the rumored chikara sale?

It was a status update on the Barridoff Galleries facebook page that has now been deleted.  It said something like "Chikara acquired from Titor.  A different kind of art, but art nonetheless."

Titor is a fictional company, and Barridoff Galleries are owned by Robbie Ellis, a wrestler who's worked for Chikara, so I got the impression that it was all just storyline.  Chikara is no longer under Titor's thumb, so now they can start doing shows again.  In theory.

And 3.0 has finally found Archibald Peck, so it looks like it climaxes this weekend.

A lot of guys who have been unathletic have gotten crazy over. Jake "The Snake" Roberts isn't some athletic freak. Mick Foley's a slob. There have been a ton of big guys back in the day like Dick Murdoch who were huge stars. Eddie Gilbert isn't some athletic tour de force. Neither were the Rock'n'Roll Express. The Andersons were both pudgy ass dudes. Or probably 5,000,000 other guys, since I'm just rambling off the top of my head.

But all of those guys knew how to work a crowd and tell a story. I thought we were all at the point when we realized that was way more important than anything else? Punk has that in spades. He's one of the best in recent years in knowing the psychology part of stuff. He's had so many great matches with so many different opponents. How come all of a sudden everyone hates on him? Punk's stuff against Lesnar was terrific.

The aforementioned Titus O'Neal is a legitimate athlete. He played D-1 football and has crazy athleticism and a main event body. But guess what? Aside from his frat hand gesture thing, the dude doesn't connect at all. He doesn't know how to make his stuff work from spot-to-spot. I'm not slagging on him because I like that dude a lot but he's a pro-level athlete but doesn't click.

• Like 2

(I didn't make the statement)

But I think the comment is relative. Giants and super muscular dudes aren't the same. Guys like Cena, Michaels, Hart, Hunter, Rock, Austin are more athletic than Punk. They're all top guys too.

I said Bryan, not Punk, who isn't the best athlete, but being super athletic isn't really all that integral to what Punk does any way.  The Rock and Jeff Hardy are both guys who could rival Bryan in the athletism department, but you don't have to be an exceptional athlete to be a great pro wrestler.

• Like 1

LOL at the idea that Punk just walked out of his contract because he wasn't getting the Cena push.  The pipebomb promo is still working the marks, I guess.

Payday and injury issues make a lot of sense, though.  He was clearly burnt out and it showed in his ring work.

• Like 1

Reby was always a sweet gal the few times I've met her. Never expected that she'd kick the shit out of a dude(but it IS a Hardy, so I'm not shocked she can).

She would have to be tough considering she played lingerie football at one point.

• Like 1

LOL at the idea that Punk just walked out of his contract because he wasn't getting the Cena push. The pipebomb promo is still working the marks, I guess.

Payday and injury issues make a lot of sense, though. He was clearly burnt out and it showed in his ring work.

He left before the Mania payday, who's the mark here?

If Punk did walk-out (and I doubt he did), kudos to him. He managed to become the most talked about guy in the same week Daniel Bryan was victimized in the conspiracy to end all conspiracies.

Such a great friend too!

Whoever said those dudes were real-life friends? And wrestling's a world of sharks. Everyone SHOULD be trying to get their name out there like this.