DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Doesn't really matter.  Buy whatever you buy, you can upgrade it if you want and it's a very easy process to do so.

That said, yeah, you want at least 250 gig but 500 is a lot easier.

Doesn't really matter.  Buy whatever you buy, you can upgrade it if you want and it's a very easy process to do so.

That said, yeah, you want at least 250 gig but 500 is a lot easier.

I second this as someone who Tabe guided via PM through the process.

Having 500gb is the was to go, especially if you end up getting Plus.

Another Rainbow Moon update:

So I've done just about everything in the game now except kill the last one or two super-tough monsters I haven't tried yet.  I need to grind some more leveling and hit points before I try those guys though.  I've earned all the trophies in the game and obtained most of the gear (one set of gear is tied to a collectible I don't feel like tracking down).  I must say that, despite the fact that I'm basically just grinding at this point, my enjoyment of the game has gone up a lot.  You can see actual progress in your characters at this point as they jump a level (or more) every fight or two.  It's also been fun to see how the characters ebb and flow from being relatively weak to relatively strong.  Early in the game, one particular character is very strong and useful because she has attacks that can be diagonal and other characters don't.  She then goes through a long stretch where she's weak as the other two characters become strong.  Now, late in the game, she's super-strong and useful.  The same thing has happened with my other two characters.  It's also fun to see how your characters improve relative to the enemies.  Like one particular group of 34 enemies, because they were so much faster than me (and, thus, got in their attacks before me or multiple attacks before me), took me nearly an hour to defeat the first time I beat them.  Now with my characters juiced up, I can walk through them without taking a lick of damage in under 60 seconds.

Having said that, the issues I've had with the game never really went away:

- The map system is atrocious, forcing me to rely on a map I downloaded and printed off the net and also constant googling on my tablet while playing.  This becomes quite the pain later on as you're told to go to specific places and really have no idea where they are.

- Battles, especially early on, are extremely tedious and repetitive.  There's pretty much no strategy to them and they're just a chore.  Really late in the game, strategy comes into effect but very rarely.  

- Difficulty spikes are huge, especially post-game.  This forces you to do a lot of tedious grinding just to get to a point where you can maybe take on the next-higher level of opponent

- Leveling up your characters requires the use of pearls that are gained when a character strikes a death blow on an enemy.  That's all well and good but the pearl drops are too low compared to what's needed to level up your guys

- The spell animations are reaaaaaaaly long.  The game allows you to "earn" the right to skip them by using each spell an indeterminate number of times but you get to be annoyed - big-time - before that.  And some spells can't be skipped at all until post-game.  That gets really, really, really annoying.

So, yeah, overall a very enjoyable game.  That's good since I've spent 160 hours on it and am seriously considering starting a new game just to get the damn trophy I got screwed out of.  And I'm going to spend a bit more time grinding so I can knock off the last couple super-enemies.  I'm hopeless.  My nephew may have a heart attack if he comes home and sees me playing a different game, LOL.

• Like 3

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188457844

I just discovered this and I want to hug this man.

I might actually go back and give this game a fair shot now because I won't have to hear STOP POLICIA every FIVE SECONDS FOREVER after you pick up your first wanted star in a session. Like holy fuck how does that not get patched in 8 years, what a top studio.

I remember half enjoying the rest of the game in a "not as good as GTA but still entertaining nonsense" kind of way.

Started Borderlands the Pre-Sequel tonight played about hour & a half got leveled to 4 so far very fun doing a solo play will be much funnier with more people. I picked claptrap as my character his special ability is very fun and random.

Yeah, I like it so far.  I'm playing as Nisha and her action skill is basically murder mode.  It took me two uses to absolutely destroy the first boss.  I think she'll be kind of squishy later on, though, as there isn't much in the way of defense in her skill trees.  The writing is pretty good, too.  I dig the framing device with Athena, and the dialogue between Nisha and Janey has been pretty funny.

I am finally getting a PS3 this week.

I am assuming I need to get - at a minimum - the 250 GB HD, with the 500 GB HD being preferred

Correct?

Yes, although I got the 150 when I got it, and upgraded it with a 750 GB HDD and its awesome.

If you're getting it now, there *might* be an extra step to upgrading the HDD that the older models didn't have.

For the record - I grabbed all 3 Uncharted games and God of War III. And I think I paid like $12 in total for the games.

The one great thing about getting it this late is the sheer number of games I can get for $5

• Like 1

Well I am only using my PS3 to play PS3 exclusives - most everything else is 360 for me.

Like I already played half the AC games and own the other ones (well not Black Flag but I am sure I would get it after beating the other ones)

Things I knew I was going to play no matter what when getting the PS3

- Uncharted Series (already bought all three)

- God of War III (plus I will probably get that release that was the bundled version of the two games released for the Vita)

- all Ratchet & Clank games (I played the ones on the PS2, loved them, plus my son will love the games)

- whatever the Sly Cooper game was that came out for the PS3 (I dont seem to remember it being called Sly Cooper 4)

There are other things that I know are praised that I will at least maybe try and find as a rental first are things like Last of Us and Heavy Rain

So yeah - for me it is making sure I play the PS3 exclusive games

And Jesus fuck - I forgot what a fucking ugly interface this system has