DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 5/6 - 5/12/2024 - We'll Never Be Royals

Rosters lock today, I believe so we may get one more surprise before this is all over.  However, today is all about the beginning of the Regents of the Ring titles.   And frankly, this may be a year where the first round matches are better than the potential finals...

Yeah, and we haven't even talked about the Smackdown side yet.  Also a very good chance of Ilja vs. Gunther (or Sheamus!) in the quarters.  People may die!   ❤️  They'll never be royals...

Enjoy the week

• Like 2

From PWInsider by Mike Johnson

"WWE's Chris Legentil, who came over to the company at Nick Khan's behest after working for DAZN in April 2021 and has headed up WWE's Communications in recent years before adding Talent Relations to his plate, was recently promoted officially by the company, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

Legentil, who held the position of Senior Vice President, Head of Global Communications at WWE is now titled officially as Executive Vice President, Talent Relations and Head of Communications."

Jerry Lawler's announcer contract was not renewed.  

So when he shows up at Double or Nothing, you know why. 

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jerry Lawler's announcer contract was not renewed.  

So when he shows up at Double or Nothing, you know why. 

Supposedly he still has a Legends deal.

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

Poor Kofi. He's a former WWE champion and they don't spell his name right.

Nah not a misspelling just a spoiler, because he's about to be King son. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So the tournaments start tonight and we still don't have full brackets.  You'd think with how crazy people get over March Madness they'd release the brackets early and do some kind of bracket challenge contest to get a little more interest into them, allow people to share their brackets on social media and compare.  Have some prize if anyone can predict a perfect bracket for both the men and the women, then book a couple of crazy upsets to bust brackets, it would be fun.

• Like 1

Woke up in time for Gunther vs. Sheamus. Great match. One of the best this year. Both battered each other. Sheamus actually had Gunther's handprint on his back. Will seek out Ilja Dragunov vs. Ricochet.

• Like 3

Ricochet match was really a Ricochet match. They dragged out the end and Ilja overemotes like always, but it was still good. 

Gunther/Sheamus was what you expected. Nice finish and diversion from the neck to the leg, just so Sheamus didn't get chopped right between the shoulder blades anymore, Jesus Christ (or "Jeez Louise" if you are McAfee). It was funny how Kaiser was initially treating the match like he was watching TV in the WWE style, standing sideways to get that camera profile. 

Also, I didn't think I'd get the opportunity to flip off my TV and say "Fuck you Nixon!" to my TV tonight, but there you go. 

Hot damn that was some quality professional wrestling tonight. I did not that we’d get anything better over the next few weeks than Ricochet/Ilya. Great way to bring Ilya onto the main roster and awesome showing from Ric. But then here comes Sheamus/Gunther giving us an all-time great Raw match. Those two are just a perfect pairing for each other. Neither man cares about their health at all and we are better off for it. Iyo/Natalya was also real good. Sami with a quick banger promo, too. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Jey/Finn was good. 

Dug the backstage confrontation between Pearce and Drew and how it bled into Punk appearing right after Drew left. The Punk promo right after was solid and fun even if it felt just a pinch long.

Io/Nattie was pretty nice with the two meshing pretty well. Wouldn't have guessed this was a first time match. Was happy to see Io take the win.

Ricochet/Ilja was great with tons of nice action and a wonderful showcase of what ilja is capable of to the main roster crowd.

Zoey/Ivy was solid and decent showcase for both women.

Reed/Gable was nice while it lasted before Sami appeared for the predictable non-finish. Would be annoyed normally, but this was the most sensible way to go with how this feud has been building. Glad they finally pushed for the triple threat officially. Sami's promo for it backstage was good.

The Becky/Liv segment was solid. Dug Damage CTRL getting involved and how it bled into Lyra/Dakota which was pretty solid itself. 

Gunther/Sheamus III was fantastic. This echoed the brutal hoss fight like their first match with the two giving each other as good as they got, Sheamus having some good fighting spirits moments, and some great nearfalls before the end finally came. Didn't quite hit the level of their first match, but damn, was it close.

Pretty good Raw with solid segments and some fine wrestling. All of the tournament matches were solid at worst with Ricochet/Ilja & Gunther/Sheamus really standing out as one might expect.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

To me this was a one-match show with Sheamus/Gunther even if the stuff beforehand was good.  But man that one match brought the goods so I was quite happy with that.  Though I will say I don't know if it was a TV sound issue for me but the crowd sounded really dead for most of the show, especially during Punk's and Becky's promos.  Was kind of hard to get into most of the show though they did wake up a bit for Ricochet/Druganov and the main.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

GUNTHER is taking the KOTR, right? Who else is in his way?

Also in two weeks when GUNTHER lightly taps him on the shoulder.

For those that didn't see, here' s the full bracket for the men's side:

gm8y_z5xmaeobxk.webp

I'd wager on a Gunther/Jey final on Raw and a Carmelo/Knight final on SD.