DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

anybody wanna give an estimate on the % of people at WM40 who aren't Philly residents? that might be left out of the equation although the out of town might not be dramatically different from the crowd that shows up for arena shows when you consider all the British dudes

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Could they want/expect people to hijack the shows and then allow them to "force WWE's hand" like they did back in WM30, as others have noted?

hijacking during non-Roman, Rock or Cody segments would be interesting in regards to people-watching and seeing how the idea of stepping over people's matches goes over these days compared to when it happened for Cena/Orton.

In other words, how much of the reactions to hijacking during other people's matches would be some variant of "hey asshole, shut up, i'm trying to watch this DIY match without making any noise" backlash to the holy cause of Codymania?

Yeah, it seems like they are astro-turfing to save some face, and who knows where it'll go from here -- WWE is capable of rolling with the punches for a Wrestlemania moment and having things revert to the norm after a month or two when they feel like it -- but I cannot take anyone seriously who is like, "Ah yes, this was the brilliant plan all along. The audience is playing directly into their hands." Some people still say that about the Bryan Danielson run! As though he wasn't weirdly waffling around with the Wyatts for two months before Wrestlemania.

They've put themselves in a dumb position through bad storytelling that they are gonna have to wriggle their way out of one way or another and who knows, maybe it'll be compelling, but I refuse to attribute to genius puppeteering what is more than likely panicked flailing.

• Like 2

Another thing to keep in mind is they've been telling the story of Nick Aldis not taking any of Roman's shit. That might progress into Aldis telling Roman he's pulling double duty at WM or wrestling a three way or whatever else shoehorns both Cody and Rock in whether he likes it or not.

I wonder how "Cody, you're gonna wrestle Roman at Wrestlemania whether you like it or not" would test in a focus group of wrestling angles. Maybe the WM title shot is like resigning from Parliament and Cody can't just give it away.

Of course there's the whole thing where if Roman/Rock is on night 1, then Cody either loses on night 2 and makes people mad, or Cody wins because he faced a softened up Roman. And if Cody wins on night 1, then it's not night 2 and people complain that he wasn't in the real main event.

So it's deep enough that they really can't get out of this without using the Men In Black memory-wiper

My beautiful wife put on The Gameplan after hearing about the Rock pulling a Jungle Boy and ruining everyone’s fun. So after every zinger I’m saying “I wouldn’t laugh until Cody gets his match back.”

I think if they want to keep Cody from looking like a doof for giving up the Reigns match in the first place, he could cut a promo saying "I thought I was giving the people what they wanted. The People's Champ. But if you want me vs. Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania then the people have spoken."

Something like that. But with more words like "abundantly" and "apropos".

• Like 3

He won't do it because his team and himself are too worry about his image these days, but the Rock embracing the heel role (if they make it a three way) and trashing this lame "Poor Cody" movement would be a fun way to go here. So many ways you  could go with it.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 5

Cody Rhodes has an evil brother named Cory Rhodes. Cory is the one who declined the WM match to try and get revenge on Cody.

All "get us out of this angle" ideas worse than the preceding idea get auto-rejected.

Alternate idea: The Million Dollar Man used Mississippi welfare money to pay someone to get plastic surgery to be fake Cody Rhodes.

• Haha 3

The Rock had Pharaoh kidnapped. If he didn’t give up his opportunity then he’d pull an Elite and punt the puppy. Bring in Ace Steele to then bite the Rock and we got one armed CM Punk vs out of breath Dwayne. 

• Haha 1

Redo Wrestlemania 9. Yes, everyone wears Togas. The Bloodline pulls an Ides of March and take out Roman with chairs at the order of The Rock.
Before the show ends, Cody gives a speech over Roman’s limp body:

Friends, Philly Fanatics, WWE Universe, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Reigns, not to hype him

The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their chair shaped bruises;

So let it be with Roman. The noble Rock

Hath told you Roman was not the Tribal Chief:

If it were so, Reigns was mistaken as fuck,

And grievously hath Roman be wrong as fuck.

Here, under the TKO Board-member leadership of Dwayne Johnson and the rest–

For Dwayne is not a manipulative prick;

So are they all, all totally cool–

Come I to speak in Roman’s post match post beat down WWE style unnecessary soliloquy that fucking boot licking douches repetitively call “~Cinema~”

He was my story antagonist, a dick to me to overcome:

But The Rock says he was not the guy I should beat despite the two year build;

And The Rock is an honourable dude.

He hath brought many buy rates to us;

Who did he dramatically beat last year:

Did this not mean he was the one to finish the story with?

When I have cried, Roman busted a gut:

Tribal Chiefs should be made of sterner stuff:

Yet The Rock says he was weak as fuck;

And The Rock is a big draw.

You all did see that on the Royal Rumble

I fucking pointed at him,

Which he was like “oh ok that gonna happen probably: was this not clear?

Yet The Rock says I was pointing at someone in the stands to show where the bathroom was;

And, sure, he is the actual Tribal Chief.

I speak not to disprove what The Rock spoke,

But here I am to speak what I do know.

You all did want me to face him again, because that was the build:

What build withholds you then, to want The Rock?

O judgment! thou art fled to rocky beasts,

And fans have lost their passion. Bear with me;

My heart is on the mat pummeled with chairs there with Roman,

And I must pause till I win the Rumble for the third time.

Edited by Octopus

I like Cody (in WWE) but he isn’t beating The Rock. That’s reserved for Roman Reigns and Roman Reigns only, for sure.

Just do Cody/Roman and Rock/Roman. There’s no need for the title in the second match (but ultimate lulz if Roman beats Cody again).

• Thanks 1

My argument for Punk winning the Rumble, which I may have typed on here, is that Punk would have been somebody who could plausibly use a WM title shot on Seth Rollins without looking like too much of a doof (Punk would look like more of a tunnel vision fanatic). But, of course, Punk injuring himself makes this idea seem worse unless you're looking for an escape hatch.

Aside from that, I guess the only people who logically pick Seth over Roman would be non-cool heels looking to face a less formidable champ.

Considering the acoustics of The Trop, having a Rumble winner that wasn't Punk/Cody/Gunther would have come off more like death than a surprise.

So did they make a mistake on Friday night? yeah. Should they have to drink their medicine instead of slamming an undo button? Perhaps they should have to live with some of their mistake.

4 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

He won't do it because his team and himself are too worry about his image these days, but the Rock embracing the heel role (if they make it a three way) and trashing this lame "Poor Cody" movement would be a fun way to go here. So many ways you could with it.

Hollywood Rock 2003 is the best version of The Rock. Best theme as well.

• Like 1

What's the age difference between Hogan in 2002 and Rock in 2024? Because Hogan looked in better ring shape than Rock does now, and despite working 30 minute long matches Roman ain't exactly a workhorse who does the physical heavy lifting in his matches.

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

What's the age difference between Hogan in 2002 and Rock in 2024? Because Hogan looked in better ring shape than Rock does now, and despite working 30 minute long matches Roman ain't exactly a workhorse who does the physical heavy lifting in his matches.

Hogan was 48 Rock is 51