DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WILD CARD ROUND

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

and one play where there wasn't a penalty was the one where Mahomes had his helmet cracked at the end of the play

Holy cow did the refs butcher that sequence. First, they let Mahomes continue to play with a helmet that's jacked up and unsafe for opposing players (and himself). They don't pick up the broken piece on the ground. And then they don't force a timeout or substitution for having to remove his helmet? But I'm sure they'd totally have handled it the same way for Joshua Dobbs. 

I'd like to formally announce that teams are way overusing the WR Screen and they need to stop using it as a go-to play. I don't know the official count but it felt like Miami went for it way too many times tonight and it didn't work. Defenses have figured it out, time to move on to the next new exciting play.

And just so it doesn't feel like I am picking on Miami, I feel the same way about Buffalo as they went through a stretch of using it four or five times a game with similar bad results. In past years they had a fair amount of success with it but those years are gone, it needs to go back to being a special rarely-used play and not one used on a regular basis, just too much risk of a negative play if the defense is prepared for it.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'd like to formally announce that teams are way overusing the WR Screen and they need to stop using it as a go-to play. I don't know the official count but it felt like Miami went for it way too many times tonight and it didn't work. Defenses have figured it out, time to move on to the next new exciting play.

And just so it doesn't feel like I am picking on Miami, I feel the same way about Buffalo as they went through a stretch of using it four or five times a game with similar bad results. In past years they had a fair amount of success with it but those years are gone, it needs to go back to being a special rarely-used play and not one used on a regular basis, just too much risk of a negative play if the defense is prepared for it.

Oh man, Miami WAY overused it in the game tonight.  With multiple instances where they were lucky it didn't end up going backward for a fumble.

21 hours ago, hammerva said:

Also made funnier because the NY governor basically told Steelers you are better off not showing up.  Hey Steelers fans have no issues going to a blizzard to see a playoff game no matter the mismatch

At least it wasn't move to Cleveland.  That would have SUCKED

Yeah I'm sure all the yinzers would've had no problem going through this:

https://twitter.com/Sabremetrix/status/1746561197921485221?t=_gNKS0HU8rS8KWKTUwQGLQ&s=19

Oh wait.. the “almost throw the ball backwards to a receiver” play that kept getting botched is called the WR Screen?

but yeah, the best run defense is a lead. Chiefs kinda played that game like it was facing Jake Browning/JaMarr Chase two weeks ago

Yeah postponing the game was definitely the right decision.  just miffed me with my black and gold colored glasses that she is throwing shade on a team during a state emergency press conference.  sounds like the game happening tomorrow isn't a lock either.

Man looking at live at stadium. even if they could get the players and coaches there (which they couldn't), nobody could see it.  Like a much colder and windier version of the fog bowl game

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Oh wait.. the “almost throw the ball backwards to a receiver” play that kept getting botched is called the WR Screen?

I saw so many WR screens as a Bears fan during the John Schoop OC era in the early 2000s. 

Yeah I guess I’m way more used to the screens where you throw the ball forward to a guy just on the other side of the blockers.

Then again I’m also used to Hill getting the ball behind the line of scrimmage in a jet sweep than on a WR screen, the former seemingly had less risk of some defender crushing Tyreek as soon as he got the ball.

That bootleg that Tua ran once for a first down might be one of the 5 best plays the Dolphins offense ran last night, which might say something for how their offense played.

Looks like there’s a good chance the Steelers and Bills gets moved to Tuesday, at what point does the NFL say too bad Buffalo and moves the game to Detroit? Even if the stadium and roads gets dug out there’s still a chance the surface will be too frozen to play on, what do they do then move the game to Wednesday? Stand around Tuesday waiting for the field to naturally heat up since they don’t have underground heaters?  If it does get moved to Tuesday would the NFL move the Divisional round game the winner plays in to next Monday then the AFC Championship to a Monday if they win that game? 

• Like 1

Well I assume the Cleveland rumors started because even though Cleveland was in the playoffs nobody was playing a game in Cleveland.  The Lions playing tonight in Detroit really mess things up.   I can't remember if the Bills game in Detroit looked like a Bills game.

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man that first drive by Packers was way too easy

the exact thing they need to keep doing to win (spend 8 minutes scoring), they just did

who's the best HC who would be fine with Jerry Jones retaining power?

because I suspect that someone like Bill Belichick would want more power than Jerry would want to give and your team is only going so far if the GM is a non-football guy who had the timing/money to buy the team in 1989.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

who's the best HC who would be fine with Jerry Jones retaining power?

because I suspect that someone like Bill Belichick would want more power than Jerry would want to give and your team is only going so far if the GM is a non-football guy who had the timing/money to buy the team in 1989.

It depends, which would Belichick care more about at this stage of his career - getting to the overall wins record quicker or having control? He could get the record in two seasons with the Cowboys (three for the regular season record) and retire with every head coach record one could want, and maybe win some playoff games in the process. Less chance of that happening at any of the other current openings (except maybe Chargers).

• Like 1

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if he kept McCarthy as coach but he is the prefect cuck for Jerry Jones and let him have his power

Oh man now Micah Parsons is hurt and Ceedee Lamb is having his George Pickens moment.  

I really will laugh if Dallas axes McCarthy and signs Belichick.  As bad as McCarthy may be in the playoffs, he does have knowledge of a good offense.  Belichick would probably just hire BOB or McDaniels as usual.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

which would Belichick care more about at this stage of his career - getting to the overall wins record quicker or having control?

well Belichick has been the de-facto GM for pretty much his entire time as a head coach, so there's likely destinations that wouldn't involve having Jerry Jones be the GM of the team

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

well Belichick has been the de-facto GM for pretty much his entire time as a head coach, so there's likely destinations that wouldn't involve having Jerry Jones be the GM of the team

I agree, just don't know if he would want to play for a bad team to end his career with or would prioritize winning after a rough last few years with the Pats.