DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

Hey, it's a new year!   Let's see where we are!  

Samoa Joe is the AEW Champion!   Adam Cole is the Devil!

CM Punk is back in WWE!  Roman Reigns will tie Bruno Sammartino's 2nd reign length on Friday the 19th!   Next stop on the train after that is Backlund & Hogan in early September!  

And most importantly!   It's TNA again!   Now let us never speak of Impact again. 

Bundle up!   It's wintertime!    Get ready for Hard to Kill and the Royal Rumble!  

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone!

And RE: Jimmy Hart

On this week's Tony Schiavone podcast where they cover the XWF, they said that at that point Jimmy was dating Leia Meow/Kimona Wanalaya. Which is wild.

Good for Jimmy.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The two big Indie shows going head to head on New Year's Eve, they both put the heel over. In the last match of 2023 (EST time zone) Jun Kasai defeated Nick Gage in his home state of New Jersey, for GCW. In the first match of 2024 (EST Time Zone) The Atrocity Krule defeated Alec Price in his home state of Massachusetts, for Beyond, and is the new IWTV Champion.

• Like 1

now that I think about it, there's probably a timeline where if Jimmy Hart was 30 years younger, he wouldn't have been in wrestling but he would have been the DJ at a Strip Club doing his trademark lines and asking people to tip the dancers

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

BABY TODAY IS THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE BECAUSE KIMONA WANALAYA IS DANCING ATOP THE ECW ARENA BABY

I unfortunately left that show as soon as the ring broke and never saw the dance.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I only went to 1 ecw show in the arena but chikara and other companies run Sunday afternoons, so at least in the summer time, you might be done by 7 or 8 in the evening. 

now on YouTube on the Brian Turner channel-

The time that Jamie and Bill Dundee appeared on the Jerry Springer Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIzpxwyE90

edit: holy hell Bill Dundee's jacket is amazing.. meanwhile Jamie is in amazing form working his character here. Also since it's 2000, the crowd is pretty much booing everybody at one time or another except for Bill and maybe the sister.

Edited by Cobra Commander

21 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

They had ECW shows that started early enough to leave in daylight? But how did the vampires get to the show

When I was a kid I assumed all wrestling on TV was live, so it made total sense to me that ECW would run their Arena shows at 1 AM given the content (because that's when it aired on MSG). To be young and dumb again... Now I'm just old and dumb.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kaptain Kayfabe said:

Is it weird that Jimmy Hart's birthday got me to post something for the first time in almost 9 years? Holy heck, it's been a minute folks.

But yeah, Jimmy is the Dick Clark of wrestling. Youngest looking 80 year old I know.

I saw him a couple times when I lived in Tampa. Always had some free swag hat-shirt combo that was a combination of some 2000’s era PPV shirt and hat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

When I was a kid I assumed all wrestling on TV was live, so it made total sense to me that ECW would run their Arena shows at 1 AM given the content (because that's when it aired on MSG). To be young and dumb again... Now I'm just old and dumb.

I might have typed this before on here but finding out that some Raws were taped shortly after becoming a fan in 1997 was something that made me question the rest of these things because if they said it was live and it wasn’t then

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I might have typed this before on here but finding out that some Raws were taped shortly after becoming a fan in 1997 was something that made me question the rest of these things because if they said it was live and it wasn’t then

Ha, '97 was the year I figured it out finally. They had Dok Hendrix in the ShopZone hyping up a big cage match in Newark or New Haven or whatever for a Saturday night, which I assumed to be Shotgun. Now, as a grown man indoctrinated here over the last couple decades, I'd probably be psyched for the Papi Chulo/Scott Taylor match or whatever it was I actually ended up seeing - but as a kid I was HEATED.