DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023/24 - WEEK SEVENTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

How do NFL refs keep fucking up so bad? Yes, The Lions tried to be cute with gamensmenship. All of the tackles went to the ref at the same time. So visually they could catch a few defenders sleeping. But the ref goes over and tells them who reported once that happens, so it's not like it's actual cheating. Brad Allen clearly did not do his job correctly. He ignores the two men in front of him for some reason. He then tells The Cowboys D line that 70 (he never spoke to him) was eligible. It appears he just assumed 68 & 58 were walking over to tell him 70 was eligible?

Regardless just an all time terrible reffing job. A man is speaking right to you and you're ignoring him and looking at someone else running onto the field. Made 3000x worse when the possibility of that was described to you before the game by the coach. The NFL needs to stop trying to do spin work in the name of "protecting the shiield" and start punishing these officials that are so royally messing up.

• Like 2

I wish in those cases they could at least do a re-do instead of the penalty. They couldn't let the play stand even though they messed up, since the Cowboys defense wasn't told who was eligible. But if there was a more useful "eye in the sky" that could quickly replay it and see he tried to declare himself, they at least could have given the Lions another go from the original spot. It wouldn't have erased their mistake but at least it would have given the Lions a better chance at the second try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I anxiously await video of Decker talking to a ref immediately before that play. I'm like 75% sure that's going to come out.

I knew it.

I knew there was no way in fucking hell he didn't report in that situation.

Lions are going to get an apology from the NFL that means nothing and the loss is going to stand because the refs are fucking idiots.

12 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Yes. The ref apparently confuses 70 and 68, maybe because Skipper had reported a couple times earlier in the game. There's video of Decker talking to the ref and Skipper heading towards him but the ref walks away and tells Dallas who reported before Skipper got near him.

It was announced as 70 because the ref fucked up. It strikes me as very possible in the heat of the moment lining up for the snap nobody even noticed what was announced.

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It appears he just assumed 68 & 58 were walking over to tell him 70 was eligible?

Yeah, except you can't do that. You can only report yourself. 

Brad Allen after the game:

"That conversation is where [Skipper] reports to me, and I then go to the defensive team, and I say to them, '[Skipper] has reported as an eligible receiver,' so they will be aware of who has reported," Allen said in the pool report.

He's literally describing a conversation that never happened. 

4 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, except you can't do that. You can only report yourself. 

Brad Allen after the game:

"That conversation is where [Skipper] reports to me, and I then go to the defensive team, and I say to them, '[Skipper] has reported as an eligible receiver,' so they will be aware of who has reported," Allen said in the pool report.

He's literally describing a conversation that never happened. 

Yeah it's pretty obvious at this point that he thought Decker was Skipper and thus the Lions got flagged for both illegal touching and illegal formation despite not having actually done that.

• Like 2

The wild thing about Allen from his Wikipedia:

When he made his NFL officiating debut in 2014, he was originally going to be an umpire, but when long-time referee Mike Carey announced his retirement on June 24, 2014, Allen was given the referee position instead; this was the first time since 1962 that an NFL official in his first year of officiating was given that honor

Basically this guy got a rocket strapped to his ass and it turns out that he might not actually be all that good

Or he’s corrupt. Who knows

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yes. The ref apparently confuses 70 and 68, maybe because Skipper had reported a couple times earlier in the game. There's video of Decker talking to the ref and Skipper heading towards him but the ref walks away and tells Dallas who reported before Skipper got near him.

It was announced as 70 because the ref fucked up. It strikes me as very possible in the heat of the moment lining up for the snap nobody even noticed what was announced.

The Lions shouldn’t have tried to be cute by sending three tackles over to the ref, there’s no need for 58 to even be over there, 70 runs to the ref and not the huddle, there’s no confusion on the refs part if 68 is the only one who approaches him. 

• Like 1

For today’s game and I almost went to the other thread for this…

So Washington benched Sam Howell and basically said he sucked

Then Jacoby Brissett pulled his hammy and is now out so Sam Howell is the starter again

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The Lions shouldn’t have tried to be cute by sending three tackles over to the ref, there’s no need for 58 to even be over there, 70 runs to the ref and not the huddle, there’s no confusion on the refs part if 68 is the only one who approaches him. 

I call BS on this. Dan Campbell specifically explained how they were going to run this play to the refs before the game just to be safe. Brad Allen fucked up. And he needs to be held accountable. Especially since it's his crew repeatedly that comes under fire for dicey calls. Blaming The Lions for the play design in a trick play when the ref clearly fucks up is pretty disingenuous. All 3 of them being over there is the whole point of the play design.

There's video evidence that he never speaks to 70. Stop making excuses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I call BS on this. Dan Campbell specifically explained how they were going to run this play to the refs before the game just to be safe. Brad Allen fucked up. And he needs to be held accountable. Especially since it's his crew repeatedly that comes under fire for dicey calls. Blaming The Lions for the play design in a trick play when the ref clearly fucks up is pretty disingenuous. All 3 of them being over there is the whole point of the play design.

Yeah, this is important. The Lions explained the play to Allen beforehand. They then had the right guy talk to Allen. And then Allen... said somebody else has talked to him. Detroit did everything 100% perfectly here and still got screwed. 

If it makes Lions fans feel any better, they massively messed up this call too and dramatically altered the last Cowboys drive. Not only calling it on the wrong player but the totally wrong team, the side judge didn't see correctly whose leg it was. The crew was just really, really bad.

Yeah, see. This officiating crew is just a pile of issues. I dislike The Cowboys, but this goes to show this gripe isn't biased. The video above shows them fucking up even worse against The Cowboys. How do you penalize the wrong team? How does NO ONE step in and say wrong team dawg. This crew is just the absolute worst and there needs to be accountability.

It's 2024. Why can't we increase the amount off officials on the field? Increase the amount of eyes in the NY command center watching each game. Give them real time assistance. Constant communication. Go from 7 refs to 9 or 11 on field. Why do we have to stick to the structure that isn't working? Fix it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Did they tell the ref before the game they were potentially going to run a tackle eligible or that they planned on sending the three tackles over to the ref when reporting before the tackle eligible? The Lions increased the chance of human error when they tried to be cute with how they had 68 report, had he been the only one to go over to the ref the goof doesn’t happen. 

Officiating has always been bad, it’s just that today’s technology allows us to see way more views of field with a crystal clear picture than ever before. They’ll be more cameras at todays Raiders-Colts game than there were at the Super Bowl 10 years ago. 

Well so much for that month long success that Baker Mayfield has done.  Lucky they are in a terrible division.   Pretty much everything else is falling into place although the Niners vs Commanders is a ton closer than I thought it would be

I figured the Ravens would win against the Dolphins but man this is getting ugly 

Edited by hammerva

Thank God the Bears are smacking around the Falcons (a statement I never thought I would say) because otherwise we would have had to suffer through a Falcons/Saints Sunday Night Game next week

Yeah but the Lions shouldn’t have tried to be cute is…….just not enough to cancel out what happened. They were screwed no matter what yeah but you pull out of your butt.

Also this stuff being gone over with the refs before the game isn’t something that you hear about alot, but it’s always went on and it’s basic stuff. Some people are talking like they’ve never heard of that type of thing.

https://youtu.be/BHuF0xTTCjg?si=sWdIk9tDnhibNkn2