DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

You should watch some Yokai tag matches. Intergender tag team, but Yoya (the guy) is the undersized face in peril guy, and Janai Kai (the girl) is the asskicking death machine who gets the hot tag and destroys everyone.

• Thanks 1

Which is fascinating, since it’s two non-workers in a bloodbath. 

id be curious to go back and watch some of Sara’s matches in Chikara vs the guys to see how they hold up, since the size difference in not that great between her and most of the roster. 

The Natural's top ten Mick Foley matches:

10. Mick Foley/Edge/Lita vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer/Beulah McGillicutty. ECW One Night Stand 2006.

9. Mick Foley vs. Terry Funk. WWF RAW, 4th May 1998.

8. Cactus Jack/Raven vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer, ECW November to Remember 1995.

7. Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne vs. The Nasty Boys. WCW Spring Stampede 1994.

6. Mankind vs. The Undertaker. WWF King of the Ring 1998.

5. Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton. WWE Backlash 2004.

4. Cactus Jack vs. Sting. WCW Power Hour, 19th November 1991.

3. Dude Love vs. Steve Austin. WWF Over the Edge: In Your House 1998. *****.

2. Cactus Jack vs. Triple H. WWF Royal Rumble 2000. *****.

1. Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996. *****. Best match to ever end on a DQ, right?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Godfrey said:

What's the best intergender match out there? I've seen a few that worked but none that I'd call actually good

Bryan Keith and Masha Slamovich had a damn good match at this year's BOLA (night 2).  It never felt exploitative, and I typically don't enjoy intergender matches.  Jonathan Gresham and Jordynn Grace had a fun match on night 1, also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Which is fascinating, since it’s two non-workers in a bloodbath. 

id be curious to go back and watch some of Sara’s matches in Chikara vs the guys to see how they hold up, since the size difference in not that great between her and most of the roster. 

I wouldn't say Fonzie is a non worker. Is he a wrestler? No, but he clearly knew what the hell he was doing. That was something you would see in a Coen brothers black comedy or an early Tarantino movie more than a wrestling match.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wouldn't say Fonzie is a non worker. Is he a wrestler? No, but he clearly knew what the hell he was doing. That was something you would see in a Coen brothers black comedy or an early Tarantino movie more than a wrestling match.

I meant “not wrestlers”. I guess I could have said “a referee and a valet.” I don’t know if Fonzie was a wrestler first like Tommy Young or Nick Patrick. My memory says he wasn’t, especially give he started under Eddie Graham. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I meant “not wrestlers”. I guess I could have said “a referee and a valet.” I don’t know if Fonzie was a wrestler first like Tommy Young or Nick Patrick. My memory says he wasn’t, especially give he started under Eddie Graham. 

I would said referees, especially good ones, are taught to be the real position at the right time. Fonzie had been around long enough where he had picked up the requisite knowledge to smoke and mirror his way through that type of gimmick. 

And again, admittedly, it barely fits under the match category. For what it was, it was awesome. Also, extremely hard to replicate in a different environment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I'm super glad you mentioned this because I just caught a CWF match between Flair/Barry someone posted the other day, and it was driving me nuts why the ref looked so familiar. It's f'n Fonzie!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

The Natural's top ten Mick Foley matches:

10. Mick Foley/Edge/Lita vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer/Beulah McGillicutty. ECW One Night Stand 2006.

9. Mick Foley vs. Terry Funk. WWF RAW, 4th May 1998.

8. Cactus Jack/Raven vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer, ECW November to Remember 1995.

7. Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne vs. The Nasty Boys. WCW Spring Stampede 1994.

6. Mankind vs. The Undertaker. WWF King of the Ring 1998.

5. Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton. WWE Backlash 2004.

4. Cactus Jack vs. Sting. WCW Power Hour, 19th November 1991.

3. Dude Love vs. Steve Austin. WWF Over the Edge: In Your House 1998. *****.

2. Cactus Jack vs. Triple H. WWF Royal Rumble 2000. *****.

1. Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996. *****. Best match to ever end on a DQ, right?

Confession time: I've never seen the Sting match on Power Hour! I've always operated under the assumption that Beach Blast was their best encounter so I really gotta check that one out. (Side note: I caught them in a cage on a TNA rerun recently, and it actually was not nearly as clusterfucked as one might think for two cats of their age. I've gotta rewatch in full but I could see it becoming a bit of a guilty pleasure).

Thinking about this further, anything coming to mind where I'm like "Dude, how'd you leave off x, y, z" you have a different, better match between them - for example, the HHH Rumble streetfight easily beats the Cell at No Way Out the following month or their SummerSlam '97 cage match (though I also love both) and the Austin Over The Edge match is way more memorable than their match at Unforgiven. Hell, even for the IWA deathmatch stuff that's missing, you've got three other Funk matches!

In all, damn fine list. No complaints!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Confession time: I've never seen the Sting match on Power Hour! I've always operated under the assumption that Beach Blast was their best encounter so I really gotta check that one out. (Side note: I caught them in a cage on a TNA rerun recently, and it actually was not nearly as clusterfucked as one might think for two cats of their age. I've gotta rewatch in full but I could see it becoming a bit of a guilty pleasure).

Thinking about this further, anything coming to mind where I'm like "Dude, how'd you leave off x, y, z" you have a different, better match between them - for example, the HHH Rumble streetfight easily beats the Cell at No Way Out the following month or their SummerSlam '97 cage match (though I also love both) and the Austin Over The Edge match is way more memorable than their match at Unforgiven. Hell, even for the IWA deathmatch stuff that's missing, you've got three other Funk matches!

In all, damn fine list. No complaints!

Please seek out Cactus Jack vs. Sting on Power Hour. Such a hidden gem. Much better than the Beach Blast one. Thanks for the compliments on my list, mate.

• Like 2

Kinda wild that this match was booked so quickly if you forget that Jack was brought back in 1991 to be a Monster of the Month and then they realized that he’s really good.

Also, Submit or Surrender might be a better name than “I Quit”. Both kinda mean the same thing but.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also funny that originally, Jack had to be brought in as a job guy by Sullivan and JC, since they were allowed to book TV guys but not sign any wrestlers. That’s when they did the angle where Jack would attack his partner after losing a tag match. 

Also this video is sorta interesting, and considering how little there is for Cornette to talk about for the first time that isn’t current wrestling hot takes..

I don’t know if he thought his Tracy Smothers as a disillusioned small town boy idea was a heel or face idea, but it sounds like it would have gotten Tracy cheered from all the fans who can relate to a guy who had to stop listening to the local country music station when they stopped playing Waylon and George regularly.

• Like 1

I saw in the local news on TV today that there had been a Finnish Pro Wrestling show in a town some 60 miles away from where I live. Promoted by the same guy who has been behind most Finnish pro wrestling in the past decade and a half.

There is also a documentary/ reality tv show about aspiring young pro wrestlers in Finland. That's another thing I wish I could tell the 1993 Shartnado, who would probably not believe that for a second.

Weird times, indeed.

• Like 5