DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK ELEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

No - because they are still gonna be fighting too many 1 loss teams whose 1 loss isn't a double digits one to a really bad Pittsburgh team

Actually they worst Pitt team since the second Johnny Majors run when they had ads in the student newspaper looking for players.

Best part: the Big Ten statement literally says they have no evidence of Harbaugh having knowledge or engaging in wrong doing, and this isn't a sanction against him but that he represents the institution for purposes of the football team. (Unlike the new NCAA rule that holds head coaches accountable for things in the program, the Big Ten bylaws hold the Universities responsible.)

Normally courts are very reluctant to interfere with governing bodies where the membership has agreed to the rules, but between that and the Big Ten bylaw that says the conference can enact sanctions "subsequent to the NCAA investigation" I really think Michigan might win in court.

2 minutes ago, Log said:

I've lost track of some of the finer details with this Michigan stuff, but wasn't there evidence early on that this Stalions dude was rogue? Like, even to the point where he wanted to oust Harbaugh?

He had a long term manifesto to eventually be the head coach at Michigan, but I don't think it involved a coup on Harbaugh.

At any rate, there's apparently no evidence that Jim or the coordinators knew about the in-person scouting (which certainly doesn't mean they definitely didn't, but it's what you can prove yadda yadda yadda.)

26 minutes ago, Log said:

I've lost track of some of the finer details with this Michigan stuff, but wasn't there evidence early on that this Stalions dude was rogue? Like, even to the point where he wanted to oust Harbaugh?

Stalions wasn’t going rogue, if you think of this as Watergate he’s G. Gordon Liddy being told he can intact Project Opal of Operation Gemstone by whoever the U of M equivalent of John Mitchell is. 

Whether they have the right to do it or not I'll leave to a judge, but its kinda scuzzy to wait until the day before the game, on a holiday, to announce he wouldn't be able to coach this weekend in an important game. No reason it couldn't have waited until next week so Michigan could have prepared for who would take over for Harbaugh as far as game sideline decisions go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Whether they have the right to do it or not I'll leave to a judge, but its kinda scuzzy to wait until the day before the game, on a holiday, to announce he wouldn't be able to coach this weekend in an important game. No reason it couldn't have waited until next week so Michigan could have prepared for who would take over for Harbaugh as far as game sideline decisions go.

Hell they waited until he was on the plane to Pennsylvania.

On the one hand, part of me wants to say fuck Harbaugh and fuck his team. The other part of me thinks if this were ND and Freeman then I would be pretty annoyed.

But then again, ND is irrelevant as fuck so who cares anyway. I also think UM will prove to be irrelevant as well once they play an actual team.

I'm pretty much onboard that sanctions will and should come.

I'm not onboard with the Big Ten essentially changing the long held interpretation of their own bylaws in order to act before the NCAA investigation is finished, nor claiming they can suspend Harbaugh without evidence he knew or participated in the scheme, on the grounds of "we're punishing the university, not him, because he embodies the university in terms of football."

I'm no lawyer, but that feels like the kind of legal double speak that gets chewed up in court.  It's just such an ad hoc justification because the other members wanted Pettiti to do something, and he decided he was going to act* and then he was kinda committed before he really thought it through.

I expect Michigan will have the Temporary Restraining Order by 10 am, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1