DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Detroit getting taken behind the woodshed again tonight.  Will tie them for 5th longest losing streak all-time.  Crazy the two closest calls they had the whole time were Milwaukee and Denver.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY TENTH, HISTORY WILL BE ON THE LINE! 

Spurs at Pistons.  Someone's gotta win, right?

Edited by Contentious C

16 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Detroit getting taken behind the woodshed again tonight.  Will tie them for 5th longest losing streak all-time.  Crazy the two closest calls they had the whole time were Milwaukee and Denver.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY TENTH, HISTORY WILL BE ON THE LINE! 

Spurs at Pistons.  Someone's gotta win, right?

Pains me to say it, but I'm gonna go with the Spurs. Wemby being the deciding factor. 

The Pistons are a goddamn mess, and frankly, the roster is the least of their problems. 

I wonder if these are the two longest concurrent losing streaks all-time.  I mean, maybe someone else lost 11 or 12 in a row when Philly lost 28 straight over 2 seasons, but two separate 15+ streaks is a bit much.  Spurs' next 2 are Lakers & Pels, so those are pretty decent chances to be Ls, which would put both at 20 (Detroit is on the road at Philly/MIL back-to-back nights, so let's just pencil those both in as drubbings).

Edited by Contentious C

Can we mercy rule the entire season for Detroit? This has reached fucking absurd levels. If they go a game above .500 the rest of the way (a nearly impossible thought to even entertain) they would still finish 30-52. They are already 15.5 games out of first place just 25 games in!

Are the Celtics ever going to lose at home again?

(answer of course is yes, don't be ridickerous (TM Balky Bartokomous)

but still, winning the second game of a back to back (Third in five days) against a bogey team, with a two-way player the only center available...)

No Horford, No Tingus Pingus, not even a Luke Kornet!

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Let's peek in on the Washington basketball organization:

Shades of Pat Burns refusing to send out a trainer to look at Claude Lemieux after he dove and faked an injury. 

I love it. 

I'm not at all surprised the Wizards are terrible, but I the one thing I was sure of about them I've been dead wrong on. I was positive Jordan Poole was going to inefficiently score a ton of points, maybe even make a run at the scoring title. Like Jerry Stackhouse the first year in Detroit after Hill left.

9 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

So the Lakers raised a banner for the IST? Pretty pathetic, especially for a team with their history.

Almost certainly done for Silver's benefit. It's also the only one they'll raise for it, they'll just add years on if they win it again. I think it was supposed to also look very different from the actual championship banners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

25!

"Sell the team" chants filled Little Caesars Arena tonight. The Jazz were missing more starters than they had.

We are getting very close to following No Win November with All Defeat December.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Maybe a Jobless January if that happens.

Troy Weaver has to be running out of time 

Monty Williams though... He's in the first year of what I believe is the largest coaching contract in NBA history, that's gotta be hard to buyout during the first year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Troy Weaver has to be running out of time 

Monty Williams though... He's in the first year of what I believe is the largest coaching contract in NBA history, that's gotta be hard to buyout during the first year.

Pop passed him up with a 5/80 deal. 

This all reminds me that I saw that Wes Unseld Jr was the "favorite" in Vegas to be the first coach fired

But I don't really see it since Washington is actively tanking and there is no reason to get rid of Wes (at least in season) since he is willing to coach that rabble

Billy Donovan's got to be the guy feeling the hot seat the most.  Practically everyone else on a bad team has changed coaches rather recently, or the team was expected to be bad, and the Bulls have been stinky ever since Lonzo tore up his knee. 

Milwaukee's playing better, but hey, crazy quirk of the schedule and their IST appearance: they've played 8 more home games so far than road.  They could be in for a brutal stretch once that has to even out. 

Edited by Contentious C