DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK SIX

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Who has had the worst run of QBs? I know the Browns sound awful and all, but the Bears have NEVER had a franchise worthy QB in my entire lifetime. Not McMahon, not Harbaugh, not Grossman, not Orton, not Cutler, not Trubisky, and I'm pretty confident with saying not Fields. Like, this is a team that had shitty fucking QBs like Craig Krenzel or Cade McNown, or Mike Glennon. MIKE GLENNON, that fucking long necked alien.

At the very least, the Bears are neck and neck with the Browns for having the worst history with QBs.

Thankfully with the Colts I'll always have that time with Peyton and I suppose that time with Luck.

The Bears haven't had a franchise QB since Sid Luckman and he retired in 1949.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Who has had the worst run of QBs? I know the Browns sound awful and all, but the Bears have NEVER had a franchise worthy QB in my entire lifetime. Not McMahon, not Harbaugh, not Grossman, not Orton, not Cutler, not Trubisky, and I'm pretty confident with saying not Fields. Like, this is a team that had shitty fucking QBs like Craig Krenzel or Cade McNown, or Mike Glennon. MIKE GLENNON, that fucking long necked alien.

At the very least, the Bears are neck and neck with the Browns for having the worst history with QBs.

Thankfully with the Colts I'll always have that time with Peyton and I suppose that time with Luck.

The Bears are worse. The aforementioned Bernie Kosar,  Vinny Testaverde,  and Otto Graham were all better than any Bears quarterback. Being that one of those guys is a hall of fame, one was very good for a couple years and the other is 1990s Kirk Cousins that is not a huge endorsement. 

• Like 3

When Jay Cutler is hands down the best quarterback a franchise has had in the Super Bowl era, there's really not a debate to be had. McMahon was good not great but couldn't stay healthy. Harbaugh was okayish but his two best seasons were both in Indy. After that... Grossman has a really fun five or six game stretch where he looked like a superstar but it ended and never came back. Orton was a decent stopgap kinda guy, but no more. Trubisky was a bust.

Yeesh

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I don't know how much better Jim McMahon would have been in an era with less QB hits and less astroturf, but he certainly wouldn't have sustained as much brain damage in the process if he played 20/30 years later than he did

He would have needed to be on another team in his “prime”, the Bears were always going to be running team with a game manager QB in that era. 

The Broncos lost their 2 games to the Chiefs last year by less combined than their loss tonight (11 points tonight and 9 combined in 2 games last year). Payton keeps doing things the opposite of Nate Hackett.

The whole lack of wide receiver targets thing does sorta get overshadowed by the 3rd/4th and short play calling with the idiotic trick plays that don't do anything. Chiefs have the best QB in the league and don't play call like they believe Mahomes is the best QB in the league. That's an Andy Reid thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Texans have had terrible QBs. Schaub maxed out at okay and Deshaun was a rapist. There are no other candidates for even competent QBs. 

Thank God for CJ

Schaub led the NFL in yards one year. Had 4000 another year. He's light years ahead of Jim McMahon, Kyle Orton and the cast of garbage Chicago has had. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

Schaub led the NFL in yards one year. Had 4000 another year. He's light years ahead of Jim McMahon, Kyle Orton and the cast of garbage Chicago has had. 

he also set the record for consecutive games with a pick 6.  I loved Schaub!  He also underthrew every bomb to Andre Johnson and robbed him of TDs (Arian Foster would always run it in from the 1).  He got screwed by Fat Albert Haynesworth twisting his foot on the bottom of a pile that gave him the Lisfranc injury that ended his best season.  He never recovered from that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

he also set the record for consecutive games with a pick 6.  I loved Schaub!  He also underthrew every bomb to Andre Johnson and robbed him of TDs (Arian Foster would always run it in from the 1).  He got screwed by Fat Albert Haynesworth twisting his foot on the bottom of a pile that gave him the Lisfranc injury that ended his best season.  He never recovered from that. 

Schaub is the kind of quarterback that if he's your backup you want him to play,  but if he's your starter you don't. This is a dated reference,  but he's like one of those video games you rented over and over again,  but don't want to buy. He's Burnout 3 Takedown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Oh, I remember the pick-6 thing. I don't think he was anything special, he was just a lot better than the JV squad that Chicago has had for 50+ years. 

But before everything terrible about Watson came out, I don't think there's any question he was a better QB in Houston than anybody Chicago has had in our lifetimes.

I mean, I personally hope he continues to suck until every dime of that contract is paid out and then somehow gets sued for every penny he has, but he was good in Houston.

• Like 3