DVDVR Message Board

THE FLASH - 6/16/2023 - SPOILERS

On 6/18/2023 at 4:16 AM, Ligerbusa said:

I liked it quite a bit. I thought Ezra Miller did a good job playing both characters, Supergirl was cool for the time she was around, and if Keaton didn't take his cowl off you wouldn't know how old he was. I liked the story, some of the comedy was a bit weird. Didn't find the cameos offensive because they were basically like cartoon characters. Not quite as gross as Peter Cushing in Rogue One. A stylistic choice as apparently Nicholas Cage actually filmed his scene. Didn't care for Keaton being the old crazy guy with long hair, a beard and flip flops as it feels like we've seen that a bunch. But I liked all the action with him as Batman.

Apparently they filmed three endings. One with Supergirl and Keaton Batman at the courthouse which leaked in set pictures. Another ending with Keaton's Batman, Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Henry Cavill as Superman. That makes sense as there was a behind the scenes picture of Gadot and Calle together. Then the ending we got with George Clooney. Wild.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:21 AM, TheVileOne said:

[spoiler]The original ending is somehow apparently Bat-Keaton and Kara somehow surviving into the new timeline. [/spoiler]

Wish we got those endings than the one we wound up with. Read another that Ben Affleck's Batman is trapped and needs rescuing. I wanted more Michael Keaton Batman and Sasha Calle Supergirl.

So Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 are the last of the "old" DC movies right? After that we switch to the Gunnverse? Because I can't imagine either of those is going to do very well either. BB looks dreadful and everyone knows Aquaman won't really mean anything in the long run. Flash was decent, but nothing about it made me want to see more of this universe.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

So Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 are the last of the "old" DC movies right? After that we switch to the Gunnverse? Because I can't imagine either of those is going to do very well either. BB looks dreadful and everyone knows Aquaman won't really mean anything in the long run. Flash was decent, but nothing about it made me want to see more of this universe.

Yes, that's right.

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Except DC Studios says they are making Waller starring Viola Davis and Peacemaker Season 2 with Cena and co.

I always thought Blue Beetle was supposed to be separate from the DCEU continuity? I was really hoping it was anyway.

As for Flash, I hear it's FINE, but it always had a lot working against it, and I'm frankly not surprised it failed. WB has a massive negative stench with the public, DC films have no equity, the star is a massive criminal who was never held accountable. Not to mention that comic book movies aren't guaranteed hits anymore, unless it's a legacy brand like Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Verse, etc.

• Like 3

I'm guessing there's maybe something at the end of Aquaman where he realizes Diana and Clark basically don't exist or don't exist as he knew them and that's your first inkling or telling that somehow the universe has changed and Aquaman was leftover in it. Why? Who knows. Enter some kind of hand wavy timey wimey reason here. It's Aquaman, who gives a shit.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought Beetle was the first new DC movie, based on social media headlines I saw.’

Said headlines also dubbed Flash and Elemental as opening week “disappointments.”

Blue Beetle is the first DCU character, per James Gunn. I don’t know why others are saying that movie is a part of the old continuity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Blue Beetle is the first DCU character, per James Gunn. I don’t know why others are saying that movie is a part of the old continuity.

Because Blue Beetle was not mentioned in his Chapter 1: Gods and Monsters plan. James Gunn says a lot of things. 

Too bad he explicitly said last week on Michael Rosenbaum’s podcast that Blue Beetle is the first DCU character and Superman: Legacy will be the first DCU movie under his leadership.

But make whatever excuses you want to. That video is months old, this is from last week.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic

I enjoyed it immensely.  

The CGI was very, very rough, no doubt.  Though, I think that may have actually been a deliberate choice on Muschetti's part, as you have to differentiate what it looks like to be in the Speed Force as opposed to regular life.  I think that was the point of the uncanny valley CGI people/dog.

I know you mentioned about Ezra being annoying, but that is part of the point.  Imagine going back and meeting your 18 year old self after you've lived through, everything you have, since then. I know I'd be super annoyed at this self-righteous kid who would blindly charge in without knowing or preparing for what's ahead. He's getting perspective on how other's view him and learning from that.  

Knowing when there's a lost cause is literally something he cannot do at the beginning of the movie. The main villain ending up being a version of himself shows that. He grows from the experience of continually making things worse to know that the only way to fix this is just to start over.  (Of course, being who he is, he can't help but still do a LITTLE something... and thus, George Clooney.)

The Christopher Reeve cameo was the thing I had spoiled for me, which I was very annoyed by.  (The spoiler, not the appearance.)  The Cage appearance was a very nice nod to the whole story of the development he (and Kevin Smith) did with that Superman.  I liked that A LOT more as a wink to the audience rather than the standard MCU "lol you fucking nerds love this shit?"   

This is a very low bar to clear, obviously, but it's my favorite DCEU movie since the original Wonder Woman. 

(Also the on screen debut of Jay Garrick!)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe basing future projects on the performance of a film that features someone that can't stop commiting various acts of assault isn't a good idea.

• Like 3

Supposedly for that Batman Beyond movie to happen, they wanted this movie to hit the opening weekend numbers of The Batman or surpass it. Which seems insane to me, since Flash ain’t fuckin’ Batman, even if it does have like 5 of ‘em in the movie.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Supposedly for that Batman Beyond movie to happen, they wanted this movie to hit the opening weekend numbers of The Batman or surpass it. Which seems insane to me, since Flash ain’t fuckin’ Batman, even if it does have like 5 of ‘em in the movie.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting those numbers for The Flash but I didn't think it would bomb badly at the box office as it has. Sucks we've had to wait so long for Batman Beyond, Batman of the Future where I'm from and said wait will be even longer.

Edited by The Natural