DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

56 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Didn't catch this while watching. Finding more and more reason to tune back out.
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/06/1168348949/wwe-wrestlemania-auschwitz-dominik-mysterio

I would guess (HOPE?!) that someone just thought it was prison footage. I mean, if I'd been in charge of adding stock prison footage to Mysterio's entrace, I wouldn't necessarily identify that as Auschwitz and just think it looked like a scary prison. That said, I WOULD like to think I'd look into it first before throwing it in there!

As an aside, it's actually really funny that they refer to him as Dominik Mysterio seeing as Mysterio isn't really his or his dad's real last name and he's basically Dominik Mystery.

• Like 2

Just now, caley said:

I would guess (HOPE?!) that someone just thought it was prison footage. I mean, if I'd been in charge of adding stock prison footage to Mysterio's entrace, I wouldn't necessarily identify that as Auschwitz and just think it looked like a scary prison. That said, I WOULD like to think I'd look into it first before throwing it in there!

Well, I think you'd get some shit, but be fairly excused. You're not a billion dollar company, with endless resources, that's either clueless or careless to let a clip of goddamn Auschwitz slide into a silly video package. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Well, I think you'd get some shit, but be fairly excused. You're not a billion dollar company, with endless resources, that's either clueless or careless to let a clip of goddamn Auschwitz slide into a silly video package. 

The apology they issued said they "had no knowledge" of the footage's history.  So they've admitted they're idiots, lazy, or both.  And, let's be honest, don't we all know the answer?

• Like 6

Some Meltzer ratings from WrestleMania  

Gunther vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus   *****

The Usos vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn ***** 

Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley **** 3/4 

Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns ****1/2 

Logan Paul vs. Seth Rollins ****1/2

Dom Mysterio vs. Rey Mysterio ****

• Like 3

1 hour ago, caley said:

As an aside, it's actually really funny that they refer to him as Dominik Mysterio seeing as Mysterio isn't really his or his dad's real last name and he's basically Dominik Mystery.

Like how people treat his name now as “Ray Mysterio” 

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Some Meltzer ratings from WrestleMania  

Gunther vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus   *****

The Usos vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn ***** 

Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley **** 3/4 

Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns ****1/2 

Logan Paul vs. Seth Rollins ****1/2

Dom Mysterio vs. Rey Mysterio ****

That's a hell of a rating for Paul vs. Rollins, I thought it was good,  but I petty much forgot about it as soon as it was over. I get that the rest of the matches had a little something extra from the storylines, but I don't see how any of the matches rated over Ripley vs. Charlotte were better wrestling matches. I loved the triple threat, but I would have rather watched a 1 on 1 match between any combination of the three. 

• Like 1

A really random thing: yesterday, we had an applicant for a position of software develop, who tried to get through almost exclusively using ChatGPT (which he screwed up royally, ChatGPT actually provided him proper solutions to a couple of exercises, but the guy was not able to use them at all. As I have not yet ChatGPT until now I thought this is now really the time to do so. After trying some random questions that could be answered in prosa form (which delivered shocklingly good results), I tried to query some wrestling knowlege and got some gems (in general the thing seems to have problems creating lists):

me: How many Germans are in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame?

ChatGPT: I apologize, but upon reviewing my previous response, I realized that I provided incorrect information. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter has actually inducted a total of 13 Germans into their Hall of Fame since its inception in 1996, not 12 as I previously mentioned. The 13 Germans in the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame are:

Fritz Von Erich
    Karl Gotch
    Otto Wanz
    Wilfried Dietrich
    Otto Von Krupp
    Kurt von Brauner
    Rene Lasartesse
    Wolfgang Strobel
    The Fabulous Kangaroos (Al Costello and Roy Heffernan)
    Black Gordman
    Franz Schumann
    Heinz Baumann
    Jumbo Tsuruta (German-born wrestler who primarily competed in Japan)

Again, I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused.

me: How many non-Japanese won the IWGP heavyweight championship?

ChatGPT: As of my knowledge cutoff date of 2021, there have been 15 non-Japanese wrestlers who have won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, which is the top championship title in New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW), a professional wrestling promotion based in Japan. The 15 non-Japanese IWGP Heavyweight Champions are:

Vader (United States)
    Scott Norton (United States)
    Salman Hashimikov (Bulgaria)
    Chris Jericho (Canada)
    Kensuke Sasaki (Japan, but he won the title while representing WCW)
    Scott Hall (United States)
    Genichiro Tenryu (Japan)
    Bob Sapp (United States)
    Brock Lesnar (United States)
    Kurt Angle (United States)
    A.J. Styles (United States)
    Kenny Omega (Canada)
    Jay White (New Zealand)
    Chris Bey (United States)
    Will Ospreay (United Kingdom)

Note that this list may not be up-to-date with any potential recent title changes or non-Japanese wrestlers winning the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in the future.

me: Which professional wrestler as allegedly killed the most people?

ChatGPT: To the best of my knowledge, there is no professional wrestler who has been linked to or accused of killing multiple people. It is important to note that professional wrestling is a form of sports entertainment, and while it can involve physicality and danger, it is not a form of actual combat or violence.

There have been instances in the past where professional wrestlers have been involved in legal or criminal issues, but these have typically been isolated incidents and do not reflect the industry as a whole. It is important to avoid spreading false or misleading information that may unfairly tarnish the reputation of individuals or organizations.
(I tried to rephrase the question a couple of times but did not get it to name a single murderer. When I asked about Chris Benoit specifically, I got a correct response, though the thing ended its answer with "It is important to remember that the actions of Chris Benoit were not representative of the professional wrestling industry as a whole, and that the vast majority of wrestlers are hard-working and dedicated athletes who prioritize safety and responsible behavior both inside and outside the ring." - )

me: Name ten Olympic medallists who participated in professional wrestling matches!

ChatGPT: Here are ten Olympic medalists who have participated in professional wrestling matches:

Kurt Angle - Gold medalist in freestyle wrestling at the 1996 Summer Olympics, and a former WWE and TNA World Heavyweight Champion.
    Mark Henry - Gold medalist in weightlifting at the 1996 Pan American Games, and a former WWE World Heavyweight Champion.
    Rulon Gardner - Gold medalist in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 2000 Summer Olympics, and a former professional wrestler who competed in Japan and the United States.
    Ken Patera - Competed in weightlifting at the 1972 Olympics, and a former professional wrestler who competed in the WWF and AWA during the 1970s and 1980s.
    Antonio Inoki - Competed in wrestling at the 1964 Olympics, and a former professional wrestler who founded the Inoki Genome Federation in Japan.
    Henry Cejudo - Gold medalist in freestyle wrestling at the 2008 Summer Olympics, and a former WWE Cruiserweight Champion.
    Dan Severn - Competed in wrestling at the 1984 Olympics, and a former professional wrestler who competed in the WWF, WCW, and UFC during the 1990s and 2000s.
    Jeff Blatnick - Gold medalist in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 1984 Summer Olympics, and a former commentator and occasional wrestler for the WWF.
    Artur Taymazov - Gold medalist in freestyle wrestling at the 2004, 2008, and 2012 Olympics, and a former wrestler for New Japan Pro Wrestling in Japan.
    Bruce Baumgartner - Competed in wrestling at the 1984, 1988, 1992, and 1996 Olympics, and a former wrestler and commentator for the WWE.

I asked it who the GOAT is:

"The question of who the greatest professional wrestler of all time is a subjective one, as different fans have their own opinions on who they consider to be the best. Some of the most commonly cited wrestlers as the greatest of all time include names like Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, and many others. Ultimately, the answer to this question is up to personal preference and is a matter of individual opinion."

2 hours ago, Goitre said:

I asked AI Essay Writer why Roman went over Cody at 'Mania and got a hybrid smart-kayfabe answer ten paragraphs long, ultimately saying it was the right move.

To sum it up in one (three) word(s): #bestforbusiness?

Edited by Robert S
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

That's a hell of a rating for Paul vs. Rollins, I thought it was good,  but I petty much forgot about it as soon as it was over. I get that the rest of the matches had a little something extra from the storylines, but I don't see how any of the matches rated over Ripley vs. Charlotte were better wrestling matches. I loved the triple threat, but I would have rather watched a 1 on 1 match between any combination of the three. 

I'd have had Charlotte/Rhea 4th actually.  I preferred both main events and the I.C. title match over the SD! women's title match. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nate said:

The apology they issued said they "had no knowledge" of the footage's history.  So they've admitted they're idiots, lazy, or both.  And, let's be honest, don't we all know the answer?

When someone went to oldprisonstockfootage.com, shouldn't the first thing they do is try to parse out stuff like that? Keep in mind, they have been using old time footage for decades now (especially for like Armageddon named or themed PPVs) with random despots where it probably warrants that. I always wonder if some of that footage is above board. This is the first time I remember them getting in hot water in like 25 years of doing that.

54 minutes ago, J.H. said:

hOW DID i MISS sCOTT HALL... iwgp cHAMPION?

jAMES

NJPW keeps their title histories next to the caps lock key? 😉

(Real answer: AI is not yet entirely reliable yet- it might have confused his tours over there with being champion; I saw it listed Jericho too, so it could be that, or just literally be spitting out a random IC or TV title history or something it crawled from an eFed or video game/fantasy booking page).

WWE Cruiserweight Champion Henry Cejudo is something.

Shit, if Spike Dudley can be that so can Triple C.

Speaking of Scott Hall:

There is a match where PN News, Papa Shango, and Razor Ramon teamed. What?

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

(Real answer: AI is not yet entirely reliable yet- it might have confused his tours over there with being champion; I saw it listed Jericho too, so it could be that, or just literally be spitting out a random IC or TV title history or something it crawled from an eFed or video game/fantasy booking page).

Yeah ChatGPT is severely limited by what databases it has access to, and even then it basically just ranks data by the likelihood it's correct and presents that in the middle of fluff writing

If you actually read how it works, it's not that impressive:

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

We're just so used to Siri and Alexa being so worthless that it seems like a leap forward in comparison

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is this worse than WCW not knowing what "The Final Solution" meant when they used it? 

Hulk Hogan stopping the Third Reich is a level of ego no wrestler would have had before or since.

There has to be a pretaped local promo of Hogan claiming to have brought down Hitler, Goebbels, and Himmler out there that just hasn't seen the light of day.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hulk Hogan stopping the Third Reich is a level of ego no wrestler would have had before or since.

There has to be a pretaped local promo of Hogan claiming to have brought down Hitler, Goebbels, and Himmler out there that just hasn't seen the light of day.

If Bugs Bunny could do it (albeit wearing a Josef Stalin mask), so can the Hulkster, brother. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nate said:

After the Gunther mini fiasco they really don’t get any rope with stuff like this

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If Bugs Bunny could do it (albeit wearing a Josef Stalin mask), so can the Hulkster, brother. 

I am halfway joking but keep in mind that Paul Ellering during the original Legion of Doom in Georgia with Jake and all those guys would casually compare the rise of his stable to the rise of Adolf Hitler.

That's fucking wild.

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

And 1986 Paul Jones and his slowly trimmed mustache and khaki fatigues.

It's obviously not national TV like TBS, but last week, I watched Killer Karl Krupp in April 1983 in World Class (btw looking old as fuck and possibly worse condition than Ric Flair in his last match if that's possible) out there goosestepping and doing the salute. At least you can say his gimmick was suppose to be a parody and part satire, but goddamn it threw me off.

• Like 1