DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

On 6/8/2023 at 2:21 PM, Log said:

I honestly think that if I saw a report that I was dead, there'd be a minute or so where I thought, "Oh man. Am I actually dead and I just don't know it like some Sixth Sense shit?!?!"

I heard myself yesterday on Hair Nation Sirius XM doing a promo. That’s right. I did a promo lol! They kept running their own promos about how we should send our own in and I did. I had forgot about doing it so I wasn’t sure what was going on at first which was Twilight Zone enough for me. 

• Like 4

On 6/9/2023 at 12:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

THE SHEIK - FULL DOCUMENTARY | Pro-wrestler Khosrow Vaziri Story ft. Dwayne Johnson - YouTube

Here's the first Sheiky Baby doc in full if you haven't seen it (like me)

If that's the one being filmed during '13/'14, I heard Sheiky being interviewed on Opie & Jim he referred to the film makers and went on about his Twitter. A year later or so Opie and Jim imploded GLORIOUSLY(THANK YOU! ESTHER KU!) and we got Jim & Sam(and then Opie's own stupidity sealed his own fate, so Goodbye, Sirius). Opie was done even more with the deaths of comedian Vic Henley and chef Carlos Ruiz(aka The Mad Cuban).

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

PWInsider has confirmed that Darren Drozdov has died at age 54

One of the worst experiences I've had as a wrestling fan was being there live when he got paralyzed. We knew it was bad, just no idea how bad... 

Anyway, I hope he's found peace and rest. 

• Sad 14

I got back into wrestling shortly before he got hurt so I never saw much of his work, but what I'll always think about Droz is the incredible grace that he publicly extended to D'Lo after the accident.  May his memory be a blessing.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

One of the worst experiences I've had as a wrestling fan was being there live when he got paralyzed. We knew it was bad, just no idea how bad...

I had a similar experience and know what you mean: a local guy (about 20 years ago) when taking a Styles Clash from Chris Hero tucked his chin and got dropped straight on his head. He had a neck injury and was temporarily paralyzed. The show was almost immediately stopped (somehow they still did a finish - Hero put on some kind of chinlock). Thankfully, the guy's neck was only partially broken and he could walk again a couple of hours later or so. That was his final wrestling match though, he returned as a referee, however.

Regarding Droz: I guess he had a reduced life expectancy, I just hope he did not suffer in the end.

• Sad 1

And the last few comments make me think if I ever had any close calls or anything like that. I think the closest was seeing Owen Hart at a house show here just weeks before he fell. 

wow, that sucks. from his public appearances, it had always seemed to me that Droz took it all in stride and dealt with it as positively as possible.

his run as a "Legion of Doom" guy was kind of a disaster, but i don't think that's on Droz. he brought the energy and gave it his all. i always appreciated his uniqueness in this crazy life.

RIP

• Like 1

Just goes to show that in the crazy world of pro-wrestling, the good, the bad, and the ugly can all blur together and leave a lasting impression on countless fans. "Droz" was just getting started as a pro-wrestler really, which is why the accident was so tragic and should continue to be a reminder of just how dangerous pro-wrestling really is. 

In my last year or so in college, this was in 2005/2006, a couple of us had our wrestling fandom re-emerge after not really watching for awhile. Among a bunch of us, it was like we all just kinda turned to each other one night and said, "Wait, you were obsessed with wrestling growing up too???" And so our little crew started watching Raw again and going to the local bW3's to watch the pay-per-views and, because some of our friends/roommates were not wrestling fans at all, we also screened Beyond the Mat so that the non-fans could get a better feel for what us longtime/secret fans understood about wrestling having been avid viewers through the 90s (we also screened Wrestling With Shadows, 'natch). It was really amazing watching a bunch of art students/hipsters come around to enjoy wrestling - mostly for its campiness and ridiculousness appeal - even if, obviously, most were just hanging around for the beer and laughs rather than a love for the sport.

Of course, the Vince McMahon-Meets-Darren Drozdov scene from Beyond the Mat was, from that night on, quoted regularly by every one of us (male and female), multiple times a night, for the rest of the year and even to this day, though we're all now nearing 40 and most of us live hundreds of miles apart. Still, like clockwork, whenever a few of us are fortunate enough to be in the same town again and we attempt to drink like we did two decades ago and, inevitably, one of us doesn't look too good, you can count on hearing someone belt out "He's gonna...He's gonna...He's gonna...He's gonna puuuke!"

Like I wrote earlier - that's sort of the weird beauty of pro-wrestling. I'm not sure if that scene highlights something good (the joy a single moment captured on film can bring to fans for years and years), something bad (Vince exploiting what was probably a legit medical issue Droz had/reducing his entire personality to a disgusting party trick), or the ugly (we're talking about vomit after all), but for me, thinking of Droz brings a smile on my face regardless and I hope he'd be happy that that is the lasting memory I have of im way more than the tragedy that ended his career.

RIP Darren Drozdov

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

We were at the Chikara show when Lince Dorado landed on his head. His mother screaming "my baby's dead" was the worst part.

Accounts of this event run through my head every time I see the guy. Then I remember he got his big WWE paydays and I optimistically assume he bought his mom a car or two as an apology.

Exactly how true was the "Quackenbush wouldn't let the paramedics take his mask off" story? That always makes me kinda want to barf.

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Exactly how true was the "Quackenbush wouldn't let the paramedics take his mask off" story? That always makes me kinda want to barf.

Even after Lince stayed loyal to Quack after that, Quack still fired him a couple years later after Scott Hall wandered into a dressing room at the Florida indie he was working and filmed him with his mask off for Last Call with Scott Hall

Scott was just going around asking dudes their names, and Lince shook his hand and said "I'm Lince Dorado" - Quack saw it on YouTube and freaked out

Edited by Dolphman 3000

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This made me think -- I've seen Droz get paralyzed on TV live, I've seen Jose Estrada Jr. get his neck broke by Edge on TV live, and I've seen Buff Bagwell get his neck broken on TV live. Damn.

You missed the Villano injury? That’s prob the other similar injury (removing Austin since it wason ppv) 

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This made me think -- I've seen Droz get paralyzed on TV live, I've seen Jose Estrada Jr. get his neck broke by Edge on TV live, and I've seen Buff Bagwell get his neck broken on TV live. Damn.

The Droz injury never made TV since it was a taping. Also, I don't think Estrada Jr. broke his neck. I think it was combo of whiplash/pinched nerves. He was back like a month later. Can't keep those damn Boricuas down, baby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I coulda sworn I saw Droz get destroyed. Maybe they replayed it? I wouldn't put it past them. Also, Viva Puerto Rico! 

I have heard the particular move/accident and how it got screwed up enough where I may have as well seen what happened. I think because of the severity of the injury though, they never released the footage. A fancam version may exist somewhere, but I don't believe it made official TV unless it was briefly on LiveWire or some syndicated show.