DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, assfax said:

Follow up;  I know Senjo has a massively staggered release schedule but what about Chihiro and Poi on Sunday?  Will that be on stardom world?  Did that Himeka thing at Wave happen? 

50/50 on Chihiro/Poi on Stardom World. Its not a norm, but it matches from elsewhere have popped up on occasion. I'd lean towards no just because its a PPV. Even if it does it will be months away. The WAVE Himeka tribute show happened at the end of April. 

Well this was a genuine surprise!

Ganbare Pro's YuuRI upset Totoro Satsuki to take the Infinity title at today's Ice Ribbon show! She nominated Tsukina Umino to be her first challenger at Rifu Ribbon on July 30, and Tsukina accepted a match but said she has no interest in the title. Tsukina rejected Ice Ribbon's concept of "be happy with pro wrestling", and wanted to sour the title match by attacking YuuRI at the dojo on Saturday, causing her to lose to Totoro before YuuRI's match, so naturally YuuRI wants revenge.

Hikari Minami and Hinata lost their challenge to Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto for the International Ribbon Tag titles, but the match went just over 20 minutes and both looked really good for wrestlers that have been absent for as long as they have. I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming next for them!

The show also had trainees from their CHALLENGER series doing a public workout, as one will debut at the August 26 Korakuen show. I'm hopeful that we'll see quite a few of these trainees stick around because they look like they have some good basic talent and could become a good part of the roster.

I thought the show was pretty good! Replays are still streaming for the next ten days on their PPV site for 3500 yen, and the tag title match alone was worth it for me, IMO.

7.13.2023 Tomakomai: QQ VS. QQ.  What a joyous match.  When you got me thinking Amasaki ain't the shits yer doin' something right.  Seriously great stuff.  Dudes should fight more often.  This show also made me fully empathize with my friends who love the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns and the Cubbies.  Saya Iida was chopping the shit out of Tam for like a minute.  That one goes in the baby book.

Edited by assfax

The full card for Rifu Ribbon was announced and it looks like a bunch of fun! No streaming, but if recent months are any indication this might go up on Club Ice Ribbon a few days after the show runs.

1. Hikari Shimizu & Saran vs. Riko Kawahata & Arisa Shinose
2. Kyusei Sakura Hirota & Kiku vs. Misa Kagura & Sumika Yanagawa
3. Makoto & Totoro Satsuki vs. Yappy & ZONES
4. YuuRI vs. Tsukina Umino
5. Tsukasa Fujimoto, Aja Kong & Kaho Matsushita vs. Chihiro Hashimoto, Hamuko Hoshi & Ibuki Hoshi

Top to bottom it looks great. Kiku always fares best in comedy environments so being partnered with Sakura Hirota is a brilliant move. I've been wanting to check out the Evolution group so I'm looking forward to seeing ZONES. I'm also pretty thrilled to see more of Riko Kawahata, this is her first Ice Ribbon appearance since 2019. Then you've got the main event... if Tsukka is even half of what she was pre-layoff I'll be beyond excited!

Tsukka goes back on maternity leave after this, but hey, a little bit of Tsukka is better than none.

I'm officially sick of the Mina Shirakawa push and at this point just want her to go away. I don't know what happened to cause this but... it happened.

I used to like her in a way but the super push has turned me off. Her winning the Wonder belt just made me think of Billy Gunn winning KOTR for some reason

James

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'm officially sick of the Mina Shirakawa push and at this point just want her to go away. I don't know what happened to cause this but... it happened.

I used to like her in a way but the super push has turned me off. Her winning the Wonder belt just made me think of Billy Gunn winning KOTR for some reason

James

I feel the same way unfortunately. I really enjoyed her turn to a more technical wrestler working over the knee in matches. Then the injury happened. Since her reinvention as the leader of Club Venus, a unit I also don't care for all that much, I have lost interest. 

• Like 1

So the main event for Ice Ribbon's dojo show today was scheduled to be YuuRI & Ancham against Tsukina Umino & Arisa Shinose, but Arisa came down with a fever a couple of hours before belltime. Arisa's replacement was announced as Mia Friday, which caused me to go "who the heck is Mia Friday".

Turns out she's a 17 year old indie wrestler from Texas who flew herself over to train at the Ice Ribbon dojo a couple of weeks ago. I can't knock the hustle!

There were some miscommunication issues, but considering the language barrier and the fact that she wasn't even supposed to be wrestling until a couple of hours before the show she had a pretty good showing. No idea how long she'll be over there but I wouldn't mind seeing her get another match with more opportunity to prepare.

Also, Ibuki Hoshi and Yappy had an absolute slugfest that is worth tracking down. Yappy has really turned into a great power brawler since coming back from her injury! She's scheduled to get an International Ribbon Tag Title shot at Ice in Wonderland at Korakuen on August 26, partnered with AKARI against Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto, and if she keeps turning in performances like this I'd say put the belts on the two of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

So the main event for Ice Ribbon's dojo show today was scheduled to be YuuRI & Ancham against Tsukina Umino & Arisa Shinose, but Arisa came down with a fever a couple of hours before belltime. Arisa's replacement was announced as Mia Friday, which caused me to go "who the heck is Mia Friday".

Turns out she's a 17 year old indie wrestler from Texas who flew herself over to train at the Ice Ribbon dojo a couple of weeks ago. I can't knock the hustle!

There were some miscommunication issues, but considering the language barrier and the fact that she wasn't even supposed to be wrestling until a couple of hours before the show she had a pretty good showing. No idea how long she'll be over there but I wouldn't mind seeing her get another match with more opportunity to prepare.

Also, Ibuki Hoshi and Yappy had an absolute slugfest that is worth tracking down. Yappy has really turned into a great power brawler since coming back from her injury! She's scheduled to get an International Ribbon Tag Title shot at Ice in Wonderland at Korakuen on August 26, partnered with AKARI against Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto, and if she keeps turning in performances like this I'd say put the belts on the two of them.

Mia Friday I'm pretty sure is one of Booker T's Reality of Wrestling trainees, at least she's shown up around there. One to watch for sure and that's exciting she made the leap across oceans!

Awesome and unexpected to see Mia pop up in an Ice Ribbon main event so quickly. She was just working an indy in Dallas last Sunday. She was trained by Houston Carson and started training at age 13 and was 15 when she officially debuted. She's been on and off at ROW over the past couple years. Looking forward to seeing her continue to rise 

• Like 2

While you folks are slandering the good name of Mina Shirakawa, she is out here having a banger with Utami Classic complete with hair extensions.

And speaking of Utami, she has a bigger excuse now to dress like a female Piru again cause she's tagging with Maika as I and everyone else hoped for.

5 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Awesome and unexpected to see Mia pop up in an Ice Ribbon main event so quickly. She was just working an indy in Dallas last Sunday. She was trained by Houston Carson and started training at age 13 and was 15 when she officially debuted. She's been on and off at ROW over the past couple years. Looking forward to seeing her continue to rise 

I think it helps a lot that she went to Ice Ribbon because they have a built-in interpreter to help her out (Yappy, who is a fluent English speaker). For her experience level I think she did pretty well, although I could see there were some nerves... though like I mentioned I think that has a lot to do with the last moment nature of her substitution. There is some chatter that she'll be in another match on the next dojo show on Saturday so I think that might be a better showing of what she can do.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Starlight Kid's new mask has her hair out and real ears and no cat ears.

Mayu finally defending her IWGP Women's title, against the returning Utami.

Megan Bayne vs Tam (c) for the Red belt is next.

HALLOWEEN DARK NIGHT 2023 ~ STARDOM HORROR HOUSE" is on 10,29,2023. Spooky n scary eh.

8 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

HALLOWEEN DARK NIGHT 2023 ~ STARDOM HORROR HOUSE" is on 10,29,2023. Spooky n scary eh.

I'm really hoping for the return of the Costume Change Battle Royal.  OR a bunch of Momo's vs Grim Reapers.

• Like 1

Or or or...Saya Iida and Lady C and whoever else ain't doing nothing wrestle in every match as one of the Machines. Bringing back that 40+ plus year gag is very Rossy Ogawa.