DVDVR Message Board

2023 Puroresu General Discussion

RIPPA

With one post (not a video, not an in-show angle - just essentially a blog post), NJPW got everyone from the wrestlers named - Tsuji is all "don't lump me in with those losers" - to everyone else - even Fujita was like "wtf man?" - worked up. And this is all probably just to promote Strong Spirits.

In recognition of their quick ascension in the ranks of New Japan Pro-Wrestling, and clear desire to lead a new generation within NJPW, Shota Umino, Ren Narita and Yota Tsuji will together be officially named the Reiwa Three Musketeers.

The distinction harkens back to 1988, where Masahiro Chono, Shinya Hashimoto and Keiji Muto were named the original Three Muskeeters of the Fighting Spirit. As rivals and partners, the three spearheaded NJPW at the end of Japan’s Showa period and into the Heisei era. 

2004 would see Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura and Katsuyori Shibata labelled the New Three Musketeers, with each becoming indelible figures in New Japan Pro-Wrestling history. 

Reflecting the current Reiwa period in Japan under its current emperor, Tsuji, Umino and Narita will now be considered the Reiwa Three Musketeers. With hopes high for all three, they look forward to your continued support. 

To celebrate this distinction, Tsuji, Umino and Narita will all soon be available to play int he NJPW Strong Spirits mobile game. 

6 hours ago, lostinube said:

2004 would see Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura and Katsuyori Shibata labelled the New Three Musketeers, with each becoming indelible figures in New Japan Pro-Wrestling history.

I have totally forgotten about this. I only hope that I live long enough to forget the Reiwa version.

On 6/29/2023 at 10:31 PM, Horangi said:

NJPW are now calling Narita, Tsuji & Umino the 'Reiwa Three Muskateers'

Interesting that they've left out Uemura, but also perfectly sets up his return as the forgotten one with a chip on his shoulder. 

Both Tsuji and Shota rejected this, BTW.

The GLEAT show on 7/1 had a big surprise in the main event, with Fujita "Jr." Hayato winning the Lidet UWF Title from inaugural champion Takanori Ito. Ito won the tournament to become the first champion on 6/7, and his run lasted all of twenty-six days.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:01 AM, Evil Otto said:

FantasticaMania from Arena Mexico is up on New Japan World, if you're so inclined! I had no idea they would be posting it.  Reports are this was a really great show.  What a pleasant surprise.  

It is blocked for me right now (USA).

1 hour ago, ka-to said:

It is blocked for me right now (USA).

Ahh, I'm in Japan, so I hadn't thought about that.  Maybe it's blocked in North America?  Hopefully, it'll be up on CMLL's Youtube page in a week or so, but I'm not sure since they have apparently made some changes there as well.  

I did watch it, though.  The Mascara Dorada 2.0-El Desperado match was outstanding, and the LIJ 6-man was quite the spectacle as well.  The main event was worth watching, and I love Rocky, but the previous two matches were a bit better for me.  Overall, a really great show.  

Douki getting a tie-up with a major shampoo brand in Japan is both random and great. He had been using it for years but he also tweeted that he brought some with him on this past trip and that might have been what got their attention.

• Like 2

Today/Last night was an embarrassment of riches of kickass matches.

The ones to check out:

TJPW: Mizuki vs Miyu Yamashita

NJPW: Will Ospreay vs Taichi & Yota Tsuji vs Kaito Kiyomiya

NOAH: Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Kento Miyahara

• Like 1