DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

That sounds okay to me - my favourite issues of the Lee/Ditko era were Spidey fighting a small army of ordinary mooks, so I'm down with a game that encourages you to recreate those scenes.

Oh yeah, you absolutely fight gangs of mooks on the regular.  It's fun.

Edited by Technico Support

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oh yeah, you absolutely fight gangs of mooks on the regular.  It's fun.

It can be kind of clunky too because the parry stuff and types of enemies can make it a challenge. I find that I don't use my finish option in a lot of the story stuff because I want to be able to heal on the go when I have a chunk of health taken away. As for where I'm at in the game:

Spoiler

I just finished the mission where you and Harry rescue Tombstone. It's interesting that the game advertised on Peter having Venom powers including the first gameplay showcase for the game demoing it because I'm closing in on about 25% completion and am surprised that it's a bit slow played even if it's normal act structure logic. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

It can be kind of clunky too because the parry stuff and types of enemies can make it a challenge. I find that I don't use my finish option in a lot of the story stuff because I want to be able to heal on the go when I have a chunk of health taken away. As for where I'm at in the game:

Reveal hidden contents

I just finished the mission where you and Harry rescue Tombstone. It's interesting that the game advertised on Peter having Venom powers including the first gameplay showcase for the game demoing it because I'm closing in on about 25% completion and am surprised that it's a bit slow played even if it's normal act structure logic. 

That’s crazy, because I just finished that part, too.  

I agree, the fights can be a chaotic challenge when you’re waiting for a weapon guy or big guy to attack so you can parry, because that’s the only way you can hurt them, but five other low levels are also after you AND some guy is trying to shoot you from atop a perch.  It’s wild.  

A new enemy group is introduced later in the game and lemme tell you, after having no real issue for the first bunch of the game (platimuned both the first game and MM), I definitely died a whole bunch in even random street encounters. 

Fully finished SM2 this week, overall really enjoyed it but totally agree on the clunky additions and hopefully they'll be smoothed out for the third game (or likely DLC). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coletti said:

A new enemy group is introduced later in the game and lemme tell you, after having no real issue for the first bunch of the game (platimuned both the first game and MM), I definitely died a whole bunch in even random street encounters. 

Fully finished SM2 this week, overall really enjoyed it but totally agree on the clunky additions and hopefully they'll be smoothed out for the third game (or likely DLC). 

Yeah, it's rare that the sequel has less satisfying combat than the other entries. (this could be more idealistic memory than reality). At its worst, the game feels like more of the same. The combat in this one has just been a step down for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yeah, it's rare that the sequel has less satisfying combat than the other entries. (this could be more idealistic memory than reality). At its worst, the game feels like more of the same. The combat in this one has just been a step down for me.

I think I ended up mostly just treating the fights the same as the first couple games and only occasionally used some of the extra stuff added in, and it got me through pretty much every encounter without major issues. I liked them adding a parry but the timing needs work, if they can tighten it up it will be a nice addition for sure.

I think I'll have to politely disagree with the arguments about Spider-Man 2's combat. IMO, it's far superior to the first Spidey or MM.

There is a point in this game where you have all your gadgets, all your bioelectric/symbiote powers, and you've gone far enough down the tech tree that you can find a flow where you can string together a series of moves in combat by switching between melee, gadgets, and powers, and it feels amazing, or spectacular, even. They took Arkham combat and thought about how to add more tools for you to keep up a constant flow of moves so that when you finish a group of thugs or hunters or **late-game enemies that Coletti is talking about**, you feel accomplished for being able to juggle all those threats at the same time.

I especially think the crowd control options you have make any encounter outside of boss fights fun to manage. 

I do think that it's rough in the early game on the highest level until you get enough upgrades, and boss fights are generally underwhelming because you lose access to all those tools (though there is a fight against Kraven that I think is amazing and one of the best boss fights around). I just can't agree overall, though. The combat is so much better that it's wild to me.

I think between the improved combat and the improved traversal, I'll find it hard to go back to Spider-Man PS4 or MM without also having all of Spider-Man 2's options at hand. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I play it (and I'm a member of a discord from another big name forum that runs tournaments and the like).

My personal favorites:

Empire : Bit of Shooty, bit of melee, bit of everything.

Dwarves: Anvil and Hammer, and some of the best damn war machines and infantry in the game. You pay for it in speed.

High Elves: Holy shit, they have units that can excel at anything, and their economy can go Warp 5 once you get the donut setup (the donut being the high elves island)

Orks: I hate playing as them (the troops will break fairly easily, but reform quickly), but you gotta love an army who one of the war machines is flinging a Gobbo wearing wings into the enemy army.. and you can control said gobbo to crash into the enemy units)

Bretonnia: If only because when you pull off a "FOR ZE LADY" Knight Lance formation charge, it's a beautiful thing

• Like 1

I bought Baldur's Gate 3 to add it to the pile of games that can be seen from space.

Also yesterday - the servers for Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 shut down. Pour one out for the OG kings of multiplayer. I managed to Platinum them both, but even then it's crazy that it's over.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Also yesterday - the servers for Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 shut down. Pour one out for the OG kings of multiplayer. I managed to Platinum them both, but even then it's crazy that it's over.

Those feel like two games they should remaster into this generation or take another stab at making. I never touched 2, but I really enjoyed the bits of the campaign from 1. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:05 AM, SirFozzie said:

Yeah, I play it (and I'm a member of a discord from another big name forum that runs tournaments and the like).

My personal favorites:

Empire : Bit of Shooty, bit of melee, bit of everything.

Dwarves: Anvil and Hammer, and some of the best damn war machines and infantry in the game. You pay for it in speed.

High Elves: Holy shit, they have units that can excel at anything, and their economy can go Warp 5 once you get the donut setup (the donut being the high elves island)

Orks: I hate playing as them (the troops will break fairly easily, but reform quickly), but you gotta love an army who one of the war machines is flinging a Gobbo wearing wings into the enemy army.. and you can control said gobbo to crash into the enemy units)

Bretonnia: If only because when you pull off a "FOR ZE LADY" Knight Lance formation charge, it's a beautiful thing

I actually like the Greenskins so far as the tribal witch doctor guy who specializes in Savage Orcs. Having bonuses to all the units who basically don't have armor is some 300 IQ nonsense where all those investments and upkeep into busting armor that other factions do is completely wasted on you, that's some good Orc thinking.

Slaanesh being able to just straight up steal units from the enemy army is gnarly but Jesus Christ all their units are made of tissue paper.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I actually like the Greenskins so far as the tribal witch doctor guy who specializes in Savage Orcs. Having bonuses to all the units who basically don't have armor is some 300 IQ nonsense where all those investments and upkeep into busting armor that other factions do is completely wasted on you, that's some good Orc thinking.

Slaanesh being able to just straight up steal units from the enemy army is gnarly but Jesus Christ all their units are made of tissue paper.

Yeah, The Slanneshi setup requires a ton of micro control.

you may want to try the Daemon Prince Chaos Undivided army, fun playing almost "dress-up" with all the upgrades you earn for the Daemon Prince, plus all the different Chaos benefits (including mini-versions of the other Chaos God stuff (like Slaaneshi)

Fun fact: The Daemon Prince's name amongst the TW community is "Daniel". (on the debut stream for him, the Developer recording the video named him Daniel as just a placeholder, and it stuck). It's funny to think, "I am the prince of the four Chaos Gods. I have wounded the god of Kislev unto death. And you may call me... Daniel."

I know it was looked down upon the last few years but man E3 was the shit for a good while.  Watching the coverage on G4 had me wanting to check that more than Comic Con and it just felt like a huge deal.  Granted it was 75% for the games and 25% for the booth babes (yeah, yeah I know) but it still looked very exciting.  As it and myself kind of matured E3 still felt like a great thing to check out but the internet made it feel more and more obsolete each passing year.  It sucks but that's how things go though they didn't help themselves towards the end.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Add to my list of Video Game Tropes that Need to Die: any boss fight where fighting the actual boss is interrupted by a gang of low level mooks, and then you have to fight off said mooks while also avoiding the boss.  Fuck all that shit.

What's worse is: 1) there's unskippable cutscenes and 2) no checkpoints for the whole boss fight and 3) you beat the boss but there's second (and/or third/final) form that reups the lifebar/HP of the boss. In addition to the mooks that join the fight.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 4

On 12/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, SirFozzie said:

Yeah, The Slanneshi setup requires a ton of micro control.

you may want to try the Daemon Prince Chaos Undivided army, fun playing almost "dress-up" with all the upgrades you earn for the Daemon Prince, plus all the different Chaos benefits (including mini-versions of the other Chaos God stuff (like Slaaneshi)

Fun fact: The Daemon Prince's name amongst the TW community is "Daniel". (on the debut stream for him, the Developer recording the video named him Daniel as just a placeholder, and it stuck). It's funny to think, "I am the prince of the four Chaos Gods. I have wounded the god of Kislev unto death. And you may call me... Daniel."

I've played Total War on and off since the late 00's and I still can't tell you how to win relatively even battles with any regularity. I am the most depressing military commander ever.

This game is very hard lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Crew has been delisted

Servers will remain up until March 31, 2024

I'll be working through The Crew for another Platinum during the break.

Rocket Arena just was announced as shutting down on March 21, 2024. Thankfully, I Platinum'ed that back in May.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'll be working through The Crew for another Platinum during the break.

Rocket Arena just was announced as shutting down on March 21, 2024. Thankfully, I Platinum'ed that back in May.

I hadn't looked recently but are you over 300 yet? It's pretty remarkable how efficient you are at getting platinums. Are you a professional gamer/twitch guy?

• Haha 1