DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

This will be different. Twice the drama and I’ll be even more awkward making occasional announcements.

You could have your commissioner’s office set up at the Applebees nearest the arena every week. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of text

@Octopus playing god (or Dario Cueto) it seems

Instead of a cross it was an Octagon

3 hours ago, Log said:

You could have your commissioner’s office set up at the Applebees nearest the arena every week. 

speaking of God, he truly blessed those delicious mozzarella sticks and bourbon street chicken and steak. Did you hear about the blessed endless boneless wings? Glory be, you can get it with a side of fries and your choice of blue cheese or ranch. The whole neighborhood is here having a great time. All hail Octo-God and Octo-God bless Applebees.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Octopus said:

speaking of God, he truly blessed those delicious mozzarella sticks and bourbon street chicken and steak. Did you hear about the blessed endless boneless wings? Glory be, you can get it with a side of fries and your choice of blue cheese or ranch. The whole neighborhood is here having a great time. All hail Octo-God and Octo-God bless Applebees.

Could God bless some endless options for those of us who can't digest most meat? I'd like an endless item as well. Just like... buckets of fries or something.

13 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Could God bless some endless options for those of us who can't digest most meat? I'd like an endless item as well. Just like... buckets of fries or something.

I’ll take to the higher ups at Applebees for a Countless Cauliflower 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

One can only do but so much in these trying economic times.

Our neighborhood friends at your friendly neighborhood Applebees cares about the struggles of the common hardworking individuals. Now all fries will come with a dipping sauce. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Consider converting to the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster for the endless breadsticks? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Our neighborhood friends at your friendly neighborhood Applebees cares about the struggles of the common hardworking individuals. Now all fries will come with a dipping sauce. 

Praise the Lord and pass the house-made ranch!

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Consider converting to the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster for the endless breadsticks? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Time to reset the “number of days since some All-In related drama” counter?

https://wrestlenomics.com/2023/09/13/aew-all-ins-turnstile-count-was-72265-according-to-local-government/

In response to a public records request about the attendance for AEW All In on August 27, the Freedom of Information office for the Brent Civic Centre responded today:

“The actual numbers registered entering [Wembley] Stadium through the turnstiles was 72,265 – this is reflective of what attended on the night and not the total number of tickets sold or no-shows etc.”

• Thanks 1

Also from the article:

Wrestlenomics was told by a source that a typical AEW event has a drop count (also known as a “turnstile count”) that is about 80% to 90% of the paid attendance or tickets distributed. In this case, 72,265 is 89% of 83,131.

The turnstile count for WWE’s Wrestlemania 32 in 2016 in Arlington, Texas, was higher than All In’s number. The number of fans who entered the building for Wrestlemania 32 was 80,709, according to the Arlington Police, a number more than 8,000 higher than 72,265.

I wondered why the official press release said it was biggest ever attendance in Europe, and not globally.

-- Global Pay-Per-View Event Becomes AEW’s Highest Grossing Event in History and Biggest Pro Wrestling Event Ever Held in Europe

--August 27, 2023 – All Elite Wrestling (AEW) announced tonight that “AEW: All In London” shattered multiple records across the professional wrestling industry. The sold-out event, which was broadcast worldwide, saw 81,035 fans from more than 70 countries converge on Wembley Stadium in London, marking the largest crowd in history to ever attend a pro wrestling event in Europe.

tl;dr They sold more tickets than WrestleMania 32 did, but fewer people actually showed up.

Edited by Dog
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't understand that at all unless it's scalpers buying in bulk.

Probably impossible to figure out where the tickets sold but not used were located but it would be interesting to find out the gaps were totally random or in blocs... but I guess if you had a website and you wanted to get clicks badly enough, you can say that the promotion was buying thousands of tickets to boost their numbers. Followed by comparing that to indy promotions giving workers tickets to sell/give out to boost numbers as if that's the same thing.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Announced attendance in any sport has always been paid and not turnstile.  And that gap is almost certainly a mix of secondary market and unused comps/corporate box tickets.

Or people bought tickets to support the company who had no intention of going.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

Announced attendance in any sport has always been paid and not turnstile.  And that gap is almost certainly a mix of secondary market and unused comps/corporate box tickets.

Some years back in MLB, the American League used one and the National League used the other. 

Or maybe there was a huge crash of the UK Air Traffic Control system that Bank Holiday Weekend, and flights were disrupted for days. And so anyone flying in from Ireland, or France or Uzbekistan couldn't make the show.

My understanding is that counting ticket sales instead of turnstile is a relatively modern phenomenon (80s or sooner). 

I was telling a UK friend about how NHL teams (like Detroit and Chicago) used to have 107% attendance because of standing room areas. IIRC, the top 7 or 8 teams had 100+% attendance when they listed it in the Hockey News.