DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 7/27/2022

The Natural

Oh AEW - just when I think it's ok to not pay attention to Wednesday night. Wow that was just a really fun show. The first 30 plus minutes was incredible to me. The Starks segment was some serious gold-the 10 years old me watching JCP flashback of a face turn for Starks. Hook gets the FTW title which feels important. 

Garcia gets a great rub in one heck of a match. I loved that the "vets" are all positioning themselves to elevate the younger folks. 

Christian-Jungle Boy is going to be great and we get Jungle Boy on the mic.  

Trios titles could be great, but man I wanted not belts but the trophy from WCCW days. 

The only thing that did not work was Anna Jay on the mic. She is just hard to see as a heel. 

• Like 6

While the main event was in picture in picture, Danielson handed his gig to Bryce, who took two attempts to hide it under the ringside mats. Right there on camera.

As soon as Dragon started selling the concussion, I knew Garcia was winning. You know Dragon's been BEGGING Tony to let him lose a high profile singles match.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That show rocked. Moxley/Rush was exactly what I hoped for, all of the Starks stuff hit 100%, HOOK is back baby (i am still sad at the breakup of Team Taz), and Daniel Garcia is out here beating Bryan Danielson in the main event. Jungle Boy did well too. Some stuff in the middle missed but the stuff that mattered the most really got the ball moving towards All Out.

Okay, what is going on with Rosa? She has regressed so badly and while I overrated her initial run with the company, she's wrestling like a different person right now. She's hesitant and looks like she's lacking confidence or something. A move as simple as a roll over the drop down early on looked bad. Huh? Sad to see and they need to get the belt off of her ASAP.

Daniel Garcia is incredible.

• Like 7

I think @For Great Justice and @Greggulator both raise good points about the FTW title segment. If you're going to do a hotshot angle with lots of surprises, that's about as good as it gets. But...for wrestlers on the come up, why not give them a longer story to sink their teeth in to and build up to it? Not enough TV time...?

Anyway. It makes sense that Starks would have to drop the FTW title sometime. It feels like they're on the cusp of something with him: his stock rises a little every match, and he is absolutely (sorry) ready for the big time. I don't know how he gets slotted in elsewhere (probably not immediately), but that man should be holding a more prominent singles title before long. At least for me, he's appointment viewing, and I will not say that about many wrestlers. Would've liked to have seen him and Hobbs establish themselves with a more significant tag run, but honestly, Hobbs seems like he's ready to break out too. 

• Like 3

Forgot to mention, I can't wait to see the brackets for that trios tournament. Is 16 teams possible? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, please do not jam up the thread by listing all the teams)

• Like 2

I have never made a list of my favorite AEW performers but I'm pretty sure that Ricky Starks is in my Top 5. He's up there with Mox and Danielson and Orange and FTR for me. He really just owns the screen whenever he's on it. He's really good at announcing. He has all of the tools. The segment they had for him tonight was good. But I think it was just such a missed opportunity to build up to where it ended tonight.

27 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I think @For Great Justice and @Greggulator both raise good points about the FTW title segment. If you're going to do a hotshot angle with lots of surprises, that's about as good as it gets. But...for wrestlers on the come up, why not give them a longer story to sink their teeth in to and build up to it? Not enough TV time...?

Anyway. It makes sense that Starks would have to drop the FTW title sometime. It feels like they're on the cusp of something with him: his stock rises a little every match, and he is absolutely (sorry) ready for the big time. I don't know how he gets slotted in elsewhere (probably not immediately), but that man should be holding a more prominent singles title before long. At least for me, he's appointment viewing, and I will not say that about many wrestlers. Would've liked to have seen him and Hobbs establish themselves with a more significant tag run, but honestly, Hobbs seems like he's ready to break out too. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Forgot to mention, I can't wait to see the brackets for that trios tournament. Is 16 teams possible? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, please do not jam up the thread by listing all the teams)

Oh fuck that, LET'S FUCKING GO!

Young Bucks/Kenny Omega

Wheeler Yuta/Jon Moxley/Bryan Danielson

Malakai Black/Brodie King/Buddy Matthews

John Silver/Preston Vance/Evil Uno

Austin Gunn/Colton Gunn/Cole Karter

Tony Nese/Josh Woods/Smart Mark Sterling

Brian Cage/Kaun/Tao Liona

Mark Briscoe/Jay Briscoe/COLT CABANA!

QT Marshall/Aaron Solo/ Nick Comoroto

Adam Cole/Bobby Fish/ Kyle O'Reilly

Bear Bronson/ Bear Boulder/ Leon Ruffin

Keith Lee/Swerve Strickland/ LANCE ARCHER!

Matt Menard/ Angelo Parker/ Daniel Garcia

Eddie Kingston/Ortiz/ HOMICIDE!

STING!/ Darby Allin/ Miro

Dax Harwood/ Cash Wheeler/ KIP SABIAN!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I loved that episode.

What I really liked about that opener was that the pinfall attempts made sense. You saw Rush attempt one mostly out of exhaustion and that was it for a while, then you move into that area where you've got a genuine nearfall, but instead of doing the overdone shocked face, they didn't react and kept going at one another. It felt real. It felt consistent with their characters that they just wanted to fight, and the pinfall was there because they believed that the other guy was done/had had enough, not because they saw it as the ways and means of bettering the other guy in the ring.

Which bled nicely into the contrast of the main event where two guys in the ring exchanging holds and trying to get the three off a flash pin or an unknown hold made sense to their respective characters and the story of one-upmanship they were trying to tell. I think one of the biggest flaws AEW has is their match finishes, either down to them being very repetitive, or require a suspension of disbelief. Great night for neither occurring. Similarly - glad they didn't do the Hobbs turn with Luchasaurus turning on Jungle Boy twenty minutes later either. 

I like that we've moved on to the next phase of storytelling - new programs being developed, for better or worse. I'm not rapt we've essentially seen the end of Kingston/Jericho, and a result a redo of Mox/Jericho, and Guevara/Kingston doesn't massively thrill me (although colour me curious about a six person intergender, Ruby/Sky Blue/Kingston vs Sammy/TayJay), but hey, that's down to individual taste. Hobbs/Starks came out of nowhere a little bit, and I'm really excited for that - and I hope that the payoff is Starks giving Hook his first loss - and I think that may answer the question of those wondering whether they've gone way too early in doing this angle in twenty minutes rather than weeks ahead. If that's the long term booking, I'm all in.

Main event was really cool - I think everything is left undefined. Garcia could absolutely hang with Bryan. Could he have beaten him without Hager? Maybe? Was Bryan going to win without the interference? Not 100%. Well laid out match that really put the guy over. It's worrying though that Bryan has had that many head injury concerns, and he's not even the most concerning neurological decline on the broadcast at that time. Pretty sure JR was smelling something burning and tasting copper during that one.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Oh fuck that, LET'S FUCKING GO!

Young Bucks/Kenny Omega

Wheeler Yuta/Jon Moxley/Bryan Danielson

Malakai Black/Brodie King/Buddy Matthews

John Silver/Preston Vance/Evil Uno

Austin Gunn/Colton Gunn/Cole Karter

Tony Nese/Josh Woods/Smart Mark Sterling

Brian Cage/Kaun/Tao Liona

Mark Briscoe/Jay Briscoe/COLT CABANA!

QT Marshall/Aaron Solo/ Nick Comoroto

Adam Cole/Bobby Fish/ Kyle O'Reilly

Bear Bronson/ Bear Boulder/ Leon Ruffin

Keith Lee/Swerve Strickland/ LANCE ARCHER!

Matt Menard/ Angelo Parker/ Daniel Garcia

Eddie Kingston/Ortiz/ HOMICIDE!

STING!/ Darby Allin/ Miro

Dax Harwood/ Cash Wheeler/ KIP SABIAN!

Best Friends/Orange! 

Hook/Danhousen/Ricky Starks!

• Like 4