DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 7/27/2022

The Natural

All you need to know about Starks is that he even got Cindy's attention with that promo, and she fucking hates wrestling. So that whole segment was full-on WIN. It flowed beautifully and was positively Wattsian in how it moved from match to match to promo to turn. Starks is going to be a megaface... the only downer is that we probably won't get any more of his glorious ropewalk stooging for awhile. Also thought Taz played the conflict between his boys beautifully, and he keeps getting the ROGUE TITLE over like a treat.

I love the Trios titles just because they could go in like 19 different directions. My hope is they do an 8-team tournament - four qualifiers and then they go full-on Toryumon/Dragon Gate with a four-team final. Maybe even bring in a team from DG, especially with the historic ROH ties.

• Like 11

Khan waited for Omega's return to do the trios titles for a reason and it was a pretty obvious setup for the belts that it'd be Omega and the Bucks vs. Cole and Red Dragon (never doing the stupid spelling!) in some fashion. I hope Best Friends get the big win in time though or that I'm wrong. Dark Order are so past their expiration date and are actively bringing Hangman down. They gotta cut that shit loose. Unless Bray is signing and leading them, they're done. At this point it almost feels like a disservice to Brodie to keep them around as loveable losers with fading crowd reactions. Silver was one of the hottest acts in the company last summer and now he's approaching Just A Guy status. 

I just hope the Bucks are not turning face again. They are so, so much better as heels. Omega has a redemption story that can be told but we will see how they handle his return. He's best with a chip on his shoulder either face or heel. The humble old school face they had him play year 1 wasn't a very good fit. 

• Like 3

DAMN, what a great show.

Mox and Danielson show you how to use big stars to build guys who are a step or two down the ladder.  Just two incredible matches.  Holy shit.

HOOOOOOOK!  Everybody knew it was coming and it was a little dusty in here when he won his dad's belt.  It was also really clear that Starks had outgrown it and is ready for the next step.  

PROMOS!  Moxley can sell ice to Eskimos.  Starks!  Jungle Boy!  Wow.

Excalibur trying to get over EL DIABLO GUAPO as as alternate nickname for Hook was great.

EEEEVIL Anna Jay handing out chokes like Oprah hands out cars.  Only the chokes don't leave you with a tax bill.

Dante and Sammy was clunky but maybe Dante was hurt?  And certainly Sammy isn't that good.  

Josh Woods is okay but I don't like tights with no kneepads.  And bicycle tights with no kneepads make you look like Milli Vanili.

We didn't need a return of two hours of JR.  There were times when he straight up just cut off/talked over the other announcers.  So much of his stuff is either nonsensical, not relevant to what's happening, or just takes way too fucking long to get out.

Rosa/Yamashita was allright but their Japan match was better.

I didn't love the worked concussion.  Kaybafe wise, when a dude just passes out in a match, that's when the match needs to be called.  It looks really dumb.

WE'RE GONNA PARTY ON YONGE STREET!  I've been there but it was during some work travel, I was by myself, and I was freezing cold, so it was not a party.

TRIOS titles!  And the Bucks vignette was so good.  Will Brandon bring Dustin Cutler and Malachai Jackson out of retirement to shock the Bucks?  (probably not)

BEST Dynamite in a while.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Khan waited for Omega's return to do the trios titles for a reason and it was a pretty obvious setup for the belts that it'd be Omega and the Bucks vs. Cole and Red Dragon (never doing the stupid spelling!)

Ahem.  ReDRagon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know Jungle Boy got the crutch of pushing the cable language boundaries, but I thought his promo was really good. Definitely not out of place for a big program, and night and day from where he started.

Everything else has been covered, but what a great show. The Hook win, Starks face turn, Mox/Rush, and Garcia getting a career win were all amazing pieces of television.

I'd love to see a 16-team trios tourney, and I think they have just enough shows to squeeze it in before All Out. Might need a couple Dynamites with 2 matches, but it'll be great for getting some different faces on tv every week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I couldn't agree with this more.  I feel like the JAS wins all of their singles matches and if it isn't the case, it's damn close.  

I feel like they sort of had to, at first, since when they started, they had little to no credibility (aside from Jericho, whose credibility was waning as well).

Now, it will become a problem if it continues for much longer, since now they have more credibility than they should have, given who else is available.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I feel like they sort of had to, at first, since when they started, they had little to no credibility (aside from Jericho, whose credibility was waning as well).

Now, it will become a problem if it continues for much longer, since now they have more credibility than they should have, given who else is available.

The crazy thing is Hager can be a credible big hoss - Hager/Lee/Hobbs/Brody King are pure UWF throw back gold

4 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

The crazy thing is Hager can be a credible big hoss - Hager/Lee/Hobbs/Brody King are pure UWF throw back gold

And funnily enough, I don't think Hager has actually won a singles match since JAS started! He lost to Eddie and Claudio, at least.

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I'm probably overstating it because I feel it was a MASSIVE mistake to have Kingston lose to Jericho in the barbed wire match, and like you said, Hager has dropped falls, but I can't put my finger on it, it seems that outside of Blood and Guts, they've dominated in the W/L department.

• Like 3

@DreamBroken if you think that caption is funny you should watch MLW sometime with the CC on, it's fascinating how broken and bizarre it reads. Like an alien translation or something. 

The winner of the tourney is gonna be ReDRagon and you are gonna like it. But shit, it'll keep Cole out of singles matches and going after other belts. A serious question is are we gonna get Freebirds Rules for regular tags? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm probably overstating it because I feel it was a MASSIVE mistake to have Kingston lose to Jericho in the barbed wire match, and like you said, Hager has dropped falls, but I can't put my finger on it, it seems that outside of Blood and Guts, they've dominated in the W/L department.

They have been on the winning side quite a bit, absolutely. Eddie got wins over Garcia and Hager, Yuta beat Garcia, Claudio beat Hager. Mox beat Garcia, but was that after JAS begun their run? Other than that, they have won everything. Jericho has now won every singles match since losing to Eddie at Revolution, right?

I wonder if Mox drops the strap to Jericho who then drops it to Eddie at Arthur Ashe. That would be a Stone Cold/Rock level pop. It's also convenient that he just happens to have problems with both Jericho and Punk.

I feel rewared for watching Death Before Dishonor. Watching Rush vs Dragon Lee helped me understand how violent the match with Mox could be and how important the mess with the bulls you get the horns was that missed. Also Daniel Garcia is slowly taking the moves that he's learned from fighting Mox and Yuta and that helped him win against American Dragon.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I couldn't agree with this more.  I feel like the JAS wins all of their singles matches and if it isn't the case, it's damn close.  

• Jericho since JAS: 3-0 in singles on TV/PPV
  • Garcia since JAS: 1-3 in singles on TV/PPV
  • Hager since JAS: 0-2 in singles on TV/PPV
  • No TV singles matches for Cool Hand Ang or Daddy Magic since JAS
  • Sammy since joining JAS: 1-0 in singles on TV/PPV

Just wanted to see the numbers for myself. Prior to last night Garcia was definitely a guy who dependably dropped falls in most TV singles matches, but like Yuta it seems that's about to change in a hurry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:
  • Jericho since JAS: 3-0 in singles on TV/PPV
  • Garcia since JAS: 1-3 in singles on TV/PPV
  • Hager since JAS: 0-2 in singles on TV/PPV
  • No TV singles matches for Cool Hand Ang or Daddy Magic since JAS
  • Sammy since joining JAS: 1-0 in singles on TV/PPV

Just wanted to see the numbers for myself. Prior to last night Garcia was definitely a guy who dependably dropped falls in most TV singles matches, but like Yuta it seems that's about to change in a hurry.

Thank you for looking into this.  I guess this cements that my issue with with Jericho, not the JAS itself.

I also want to make sure that I state that I'm beyond psyched at Garcia beating Danielson and what a goddamn match that was.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I didn't love the worked concussion.  Kaybafe wise, when a dude just passes out in a match, that's when the match needs to be called.  It looks really dumb.

I feel this way too. It served the match in that it slowed down Danielson's freakish speed but they could have done that without it. 

The Rush match made me convinced that the title could have changed hands right there and then. That seems a little more powerful than Garcia getting the win, even if he's only had Dark and Elevation wins prior. 

EDIT: Then again I don't know. It's more important for Garcia to be made than Rush because Rush was gonna get over anyway.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I’m catching up and halfway through the show now but HOLY SHIT that turn from Hobbs on Stark caught me of guard. First time I think in over a decade I remember gasping and covering my mouth in shock at a turn, good job everyone involved for getting me so invested.

Ricky looked like a start tonight I hope this is the beginning of him moving up even more.

• Like 5