DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL PRESEASON

Dolfan in NYC

On 7/23/2022 at 2:45 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Those Bengals white helmets are so good though.

When I was a kid in Ohio they had a white bengal cub born at the Cincinnati Zoo and it was a HUGE DEAL! Went to see it, bought one of those felt pennant souvenirs and honestly might still have it somewhere. It was actually right around the time they switched to the stripe helmet so it's double nostalgia for my days as a young Bengals fan before moving to NYC and an eventual Super Bowl winner.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

I guess orange Browns uniforms would be fair given that our pre 1981 uniforms were essentially identical to yours as an act of de facto trolling by Paul Brown.

The AFC North where 3 out of 4 teams are the Cleveland Browns, were the Cleveland Browns, or desperately want to be the Cleveland Browns.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Julio Jones to Tampa on a 1 year deal. 

Ugh.

Immediately Julio Jones is doubtful to play week 1 and, well, every other week this upcoming season.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Seahawks RB Chris Carson is retiring at the age of 27 due to a neck injury

That's a bummer. I figured it would be his knees that got the better of him. He was definitely one of the more electrifying RBs in the NFL when he was healthy. Sucks that he's done.

I know this isn't exactly an original thought, but is there a worse job top level professional sports than running back? 

You're pretty much guaranteed to get hit on every play if you're on the field.  That's got to put you at even higher levels of CTE risk than the average NFL player.  Plus it wears your body down insanely quickly.  That means you're not likely to get that second contract, which is where players really start to make big money.  And even if you do, the league doesn't value your position, so you're not gonna get nearly what you'd get at a position like WR or OT.

Carson was a pretty good RB, but he made substantially less in his career than Christian Kirk is gonna make this year.

• Like 4

It's amazing how much less value running backs have now than 20-25 years ago.

Like, in the late 90's when you had Terrell Davis, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Eddie George, and maybe still Emmit Smith who were all at least in the discussion for the twenty five best/most important players in the NFL.

• Like 4

Is there any possible way to interpret that clause? I saw on the 4 letter that it was for four hours a week?! I would think that would be closer to the daily amount for most of the other max QBs..  .  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Is there any possible way to interpret that clause? I saw on the 4 letter that it was for four hours a week?! I would think that would be closer to the daily amount for most of the other max QBs..  .  

I'd actually like to know how much film these guys are watching and the amount of time that is actually beneficial. I feel like most of these guys are probably watching tons of film,  but I doubt more time equals more benefit at about 4 or 5 hours. Football is a pretty complex sport,  but I feel like most NFL quarterbacks understand the fundamentals of most defense and everything else is just studying the tendencies of specific players and position groups. That probably takes a few hours of concentration, but I doubt 4 hours a day is anything but typical NFL obsessiveness.

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'd actually like to know how much film these guys are watching and the amount of time that is actually beneficial. I feel like most of these guys are probably watching tons of film,  but I doubt more time equals more benefit at about 4 or 5 hours. Football is a pretty complex sport,  but I feel like most NFL quarterbacks understand the fundamentals of most defense and everything else is just studying the tendencies of specific players and position groups. That probably takes a few hours of concentration, but I doubt 4 hours a day is anything but typical NFL obsessiveness.

Quite possible. That might be coaches levels, but 4 a week seems light.

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Quite possible. That might be coaches levels, but 4 a week seems light.

Remember this is combined with practice where you're actually playing against other people simulating what you're going see on film. I don't know if an extra 8 hours of watching film is doing that much. The concepts of a defense don't change that much, but they are going to show different teams different looks.  Kyler Murray's biggest strength is that defenses can't play Kyler Murray like they play everyone else. He can watch all the film he wants,  but the vast majority of the film he's going to watching isn't going to be that relevant to his defenses are going to try to play him. At a certain point you kind of just have to execute what you do better than they execute what they do and film doesn't actually help that much unless you can see a one for one comparison to how they're going to play you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The series of events caused by Adams signing his contract is pretty unreal, I mean just about every young top WR got a new deal this offseason with his contract used as a baseline. Good for them.

That Christian Kirk deal started out looking like the craziest contract in recent memory, and now it looks at least semi-reasonable.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Deebo Samuel has agreed to an extension with the 49ers.

3/73 (58 guaranteed)

No one mentioned it but DK Metcalf got his extension too earlier in the week

This lead to one unhappy AJ Brown