DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Cinderella made all the money

$70 million domestically

$62 million overseas

Poor poor Will Smith - if it wasn't for its overseas total, Focus still wouldn't be past its $50 million budget

Will: Son, is my career dead?

Jaden: Dad, your career was never alive in the first place. It, like everything, was a reflection of another reflection from the fourth dimension. Step out of the time space continuum vortex and see the truth!

FF7, btw, is the third movie to ever make 1 billion in just the foreign markets, behind the two Cameron blockbusters.

It's doing really well but not like notably amazing overall domestic, but foreign it's one of the biggest hits of all time.

It's a bubble. The international markets just haven't gotten overexposed to our brand of blockbuster filmmaking yet. Eventually people around the world will get numb to all the cartoons fighting each other and cities being destroyed just like we have.

FF7, btw, is the third movie to ever make 1 billion in just the foreign markets, behind the two Cameron blockbusters.

It's doing really well but not like notably amazing overall domestic, but foreign it's one of the biggest hits of all time.

FF7? 

It's weird. You always hear how there's, like, a lot of anti-American sentiment in the world (and, yeah, there is) but people in China and everywhere else are always lapping up the most American films (cars! explosions! hot chicks!) ever.

Literally movies called 'Captain America' can make a fortune. Very odd. I'm sure a sociologist could have a field day with the juxtaposition.

Or maybe Vin Diesel is so amazing he just transcends all languages and cultures.

As you may or may not recall, Avengers was the movie that eventually led to the box office thread on the previous iteration of the board.

So here we go again.

84.4 million opening day, about 4.5% up on the first film, second best single day ever behind Deathly Hallows part 2 doing an insane 91.

Early estimate is 210 million for the weekend, which would be the new record. Even if it does fall a bit short of the 207 million record the first one set, it will still be only the second movie to go over 200 million domestic on opening weekend, and will give Marvel Studios the top three non-adjusted weekends ever.

On a slightly related side note, I loved the film.

Scratch that, estimate is "only" 187 million for the weekend. Which is still second best ever. Whether the fight hurt it or it was just more front loaded... Who knows?

There's no doubt the fight took something out of it, but ultimately, the fight was a max investment of 2 hours late at night for most people - there was ample time the rest of the day to work in AoU if it was something you felt like you urgently needed to see.

I think the key difference is that the first movie really felt like the culmination of something, whereas AoU just feels like the next step to CIVIL WAR, which is the next step to BLACK PANTHER, and on and on to INFINITY WAR, which is what everyone really wants to see. Like, you can see this movie at any point between now and CIVIL WAR, or INFINITY WAR even, and you're good, because it's clear from the slate of movies Marvel laid out that nothing is going to significantly rock the status quo between now and then. You don't have to worry about showing up to work on Monday and getting spoiled that Iron Man or Captain America died, because you know they've got to open another movie next year.

As triumphant as Feige must have felt up on that stage when they revealed their full slate of movies for the next 5 years I really thought they were doing a disservice to the individual films by laying out all their cards like that. And I think that's coming home to roost a little bit.

It'll still make a lot of money in the end, though, obviously.

Yeah, I mean it's floor is still probably about 450 domestic and 1.2 billion worldwide. Could still do 550+ and 1.7 depending.

A lot like Dark Knight Rises, it's a huge hit domestic even if a bit disappointing, and will likely make up the difference in the expanded worldwide market.

I'm pretty sure Furious 7 was only available in 3D overseas so it's a real possibility that just as many people went to see Furious 7 opening weekend as Avengers: Age of Ultron which I never would have thought to be possible. 

I expect Star Wars to do over $200M opening weekend but I have nothing to back that up. It just feels right.

Furious 7 doing well overseas didn't surprise me.  It's one of the few mainstream, blockbuster movies with a diverse cast and a couple of times they've set the story out of the United States.

I'm also interested to see how much Age of Ultron drops next week.  I don't think it's going to have the same type of legs as the first Avengers flick.

Yeah, Avengers has the best second weekend by like 27 million over Avatar. Only dropped around 50%. I can't imagine Ultron does that well, but 75-80 million seems realisticly possible given the lack of competition and the A CinemaScore.

It's weird. You always hear how there's, like, a lot of anti-American sentiment in the world (and, yeah, there is) but people in China and everywhere else are always lapping up the most American films (cars! explosions! hot chicks!) ever.

Literally movies called 'Captain America' can make a fortune. Very odd. I'm sure a sociologist could have a field day with the juxtaposition.

I thought those movies weren't called "Captain America" outside English-speaking North America. They were just "The First Avenger" and "The Winter Soldier".

At least in China's case, American movies have always been fairly popular - a lot of Mainland films are dull dramas so they can be in line with government censorship and US big dumb action movies are an anthesis to that - it's just now you see box office numbers versus people watching the movies on bootlegs.  The Chinese government has relaxed their rules about how many foreign films play in theatres and there is a growing middle class with disposable income.  Shit blowing up in Furious 7 translates universally versus something like Birdman.

I'm pretty sure Furious 7 was only available in 3D overseas so it's a real possibility that just as many people went to see Furious 7 opening weekend as Avengers: Age of Ultron which I never would have thought to be possible.

I expect Star Wars to do over $200M opening weekend but I have nothing to back that up. It just feels right.

Hopefuly, the mouse does not require theaters to be rebuilt for Ep7 the way they had to be for Ep1