DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF: Championship Week

Robert C

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Lol,  I'm trolling, but I think it's pretty clear that Georgia is the best team this year. 

HUGE GAP

Yeah, Georgia is a great team that would be a national title contender any season, but this season in particular seems to have been the perfect storm of setting things up for the Dawgs to finally break through and win the natty. There are like 5 really good offenses in college football this year, and even fewer elite QBs. And the way things have broken, Georgia is only going to have to play one of them (Bryce Young), and it’s the guy playing behind a Swiss cheese OL.

Last season, Ian Book was clearly and by far the least talented QB in the playoffs. This year, he would *arguably* be the best among the likes of Stetson Bennett, Cade McNamara, Desmond Ritter, Spencer Sanders...

If ever there was a year for a team with a great defense and not much else to win it all, it was this ones. Kudos to Kirby for having that team, I suppose.

This really has been a year where defense and semi-old school football has emerged. I don't think Michigan has been a great team, but they run the ball inside extremely well, rush the passer at an elite level, and their passing attack started the year more hypothetical than real, and has developed into being decently efficient as long as they don't have to rely on it too much.

Georgia bludgeons people on defense and then just does enough to win on offense, almost nothing flashy.

And barring upsets, those are going to be the top two seeds and favorites to make the title game.

• Like 1

So, Heisman

If Bryce Young has a big game and Bama upsets Georgia, he probably wins it easily

If he has a big game but they come up just short, he would probably still be the favorite.

But if Georgia stomps the Tide's teeth out and Young doesn't get much... Woah boy is it wide open.

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, Heisman

If Bryce Young has a big game and Bama upsets Georgia, he probably wins it easily

If he has a big game but they come up just short, he would probably still be the favorite.

But if Georgia stomps the Tide's teeth out and Young doesn't get much... Woah boy is it wide open.

This is the opposite of that year when Joe Burrow won the Heisman. That year,  he won by having perhaps the best season ever,  and beat at least 3 others who would have won in any other year. This year everyone is flawed,  and no one feels deserving. Can we just give it to either Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts as a make up? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is the opposite of that year when Joe Burrow won the Heisman. That year,  he won by having perhaps the best season ever,  and beat at least 3 others who would have won in any other year. This year everyone is flawed,  and no one feels deserving. Can we just give it to either Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts as a make up? 

I have to admit, the biased Michigan fan in me is hoping Young gets destroyed while either Hutchinson has another 15 pressure/3 sack type day or Haskins goes for like 175 yards and 3 more touchdowns and one of them goes from off the board two weeks ago to hoisting the trophy.

Prior to last weekend, the most watched college game of the season was Michigan/Michigan State, at 9 million and change.

Iron Bowl did almost eleven million viewers. Michigan/Ohio State did 15.8 million.

I think ESPN is wishing there was some way to get the Wolverines and the Buckeyes both in the CFP.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Colorado State fired Steve Addazio after two seasons

The best is it is clear they waited till today just to save $2 million bucks and Addazio's buyout dropped from 5 million to 3 million today.

And yes that also means that Addazio was ejected from the final game he coached at Colorado State

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And yes that also means that Addazio was ejected from the final game he coached at Colorado State

First one since Woody Hayes to go out on such an ignominious note.

Bronco Mendenhall is stepping down as UVA HC after their bowl game

He claims he isn't retiring but decided to leave despite both the AD and University President asking him to stay

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The NCAA literally added a bowl game so Hawaii could play at home

Are they even allowing fans yet? I remember the whole thing about Hawaii playing on-campus was they would have hot crowds, but the state enacted the strictest mandate in the country and so the stands have been completely empty to the best of my knowledge.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Are they even allowing fans yet? I remember the whole thing about Hawaii playing on-campus was they would have hot crowds, but the state enacted the strictest mandate in the country and so the stands have been completely empty to the best of my knowledge.

Since the beginning of Nov they don't have capacity restrictions

Fans are required to show proof of vaccine and wear a mask to attend though

• Like 1

Apparently when Brian Kelley got on the plane down to Baton Rough, somebody handed him an Ipod loaded with Jerry Clower routines and said "Lurrrrn tuh tahhhlllk lahhllk theeuuss".

I can't wait for his first postgame press conference.

Reporter:  Coach Kelley, Max Johnson seemed to be struggling with his reads in the first half.  What did tell him to get him settled down?

Kelley:  I told Maxy, I said 'just throw it in there amongst em.  One of em has gots to catch it.'

At this rate, by the end of next year he'll be shilling Magic Bait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Apparently when Brian Kelley got on the plane down to Baton Rough, somebody handed him an Ipod loaded with Jerry Clower routines and said "Lurrrrn tuh tahhhlllk lahhllk theeuuss".

I can't wait for his first postgame press conference.

Reporter:  Coach Kelley, Max Johnson seemed to be struggling with his reads in the first half.  What did tell him to get him settled down?

Kelley:  I told Maxy, I said 'just throw it in there amongst em.  One of em has gots to catch it.'

At this rate, by the end of next year he'll be shilling Magic Bait.

Starting out treating people like their stupid is a terrible starting point. I'm from rural,  small town Ohio,  and one way to alienate country ass people is to treat their downhomeyness as a lack of intelligence and/or sophistication. Putting on a false accent and thinking no one is going to notice is going to last about as long as his first loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Starting out treating people like their stupid is a terrible starting point. I'm from rural,  small town Ohio,  and one way to alienate country ass people is to treat their downhomeyness as a lack of intelligence and/or sophistication. Putting on a false accent and thinking no one is going to notice is going to last about as long as his first loss.

I was thinking the same thing.  It's condescending as heck and will start Kelly in a hole with people.  Literally no one would expect him to have, or acquire, an accent so why tell him that?  It makes no sense.

Edited by Tabe