Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021


The Natural
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’d argue precisely what they had in mind was a modern take on Flair v Steamboat and any silliness lines up with Flair’s trademark goofiness. The match was a text book big Omega NJPW affair with Bryan’s flavour mixed in. It’s blatant ignorance, blinkers or personal feelings that argue against. I’ll give Last credit for pulling Cornette up on this but he’s dealing with a guy who has the trifecta.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve watched this match back 5 times now. Whilst there are certainly arguments for others, personally this is my favourite US pro-wrestling match since Cena v Punk at MITB. The combination of the work, the crowd and the things they did, and more importantly, didn’t do, it’s damn near perfect. I’m pretty convinced this is Omega v Okada all over again. The groundwork and breadcrumbs for 60 minute and longer rematches is mouth watering.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, matwarz said:

So bang on cue, Cornette loves the opener and credits it all to Danielson. At this point these things just write themselves. 

To be fair, he also said Dynamite Grand Slam was better than any WWE show in recent memory.

I mean, yeah, of course, but to hear HIM say that surprised me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Except for Flair matches. I can’t think of any singles matches that aren’t 25% of each wrestler, and 50% company house style.

I want to see this math applied to so many matches. For the sake of recency & topic I say start with Jericho/Gage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dog said:

To be fair, he also said Dynamite Grand Slam was better than any WWE show in recent memory.

I mean, yeah, of course, but to hear HIM say that surprised me.

He's softened on AEW on a whole recently. Whether because he honestly feels it's gotten better, or just that the tribute to Bobby Eaton touched him enough that he dialed it back, I can't say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if he's softened on his usual targets. But he's got plenty of good things to say about Punk and Dragon, who he calls "real stars," which is in opposition to the "indie talent" that fills the rest of AEW. Of course he never mentions that Punk and Dragon were indie talents for a LONG time, or explains how one transitions from one to the other. 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's softened on AEW on a whole recently. Whether because he honestly feels it's gotten better, or just that the tribute to Bobby Eaton touched him enough that he dialed it back, I can't say.

Tony's outreach to Bobby's family, CM Punk's return, and AmDrag have made him come around a little bit, but he still shits all over nearly everything else because I guess he just needs to keep feeding his followers red meat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leyla Hirsch’s theme really reminds me of the song in Jabba’s Palace.  I’m not sure what the title is but it totally didn’t need to exist as it replaced a far superior song in ROTJ.  I like Leyla’s song more if I can picture Cy Snoodle and Max Reno’s Band playing it.

I watched Kamilla vs Leyla when it happened a while ago and that reminded me of the Muppets as well.  That was by far Leyla’s best so far but it was like Muppet Fighting League with Miss Piggy taking on Sweetums.  Leyla vs Jade was a similar idea but I thought Leyla had more of a chance in the NWA match than she had in the match with Jade.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
I meant to put this in the other week to week thread
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, for real.  I saw it twice so far but feel this is one those matches I'll go back to every few months.  It's hard to tell when their rematch will be as Kenny needs to heal up for a while.  But luckily there's other incredible talents for Bryan to have killer matches with until that happens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Leyla Hirsch’s theme really reminds me of the song in Jabba’s Palace.  I’m not sure what the title is but it totally didn’t need to exist as it replaced a far superior song in ROTJ.  I like Leyla’s song more if I can picture Cy Snoodle and Max Reno’s Band playing it.

Lapti Nek

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 10:31 PM, jaedmc said:

I figured between The Elite becoming bigger with Adam Page and more nWo-ish, Hangman is being setup to be the Sting when he comes back.

I have a strong suspicion that they are going to make Hangman a bad guy when he returns. I heard from a reliable source that Tony Khan has licensed this song:

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, Dog said:

I don't know if he's softened on his usual targets. But he's got plenty of good things to say about Punk and Dragon, who he calls "real stars," which is in opposition to the "indie talent" that fills the rest of AEW. Of course he never mentions that Punk and Dragon were indie talents for a LONG time, or explains how one transitions from one to the other. 🤷‍♂️

Because they worked for Junior in New York, brother!  Can't be  true star in the business unless you've worked for the big leagues.  

 

12 hours ago, Gordberg said:

I have a strong suspicion that they are going to make Hangman a bad guy when he returns. I heard from a reliable source that Tony Khan has licensed this song:

 

I always thought "you can think about the woman or the girl you knew the night before" was such a blown opportunity.  As a lyric that exposes the awful, weary rock lifestyle, it should have been "you can think about your woman or the girl you knew the night before."  As in, you're out here on the road cheating on your old lady.  Thanks for indulging me bros.  This has been "Lyric Talk with TS."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...