Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules XIII - 9/26/2021


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

 

How so?  I mean, Becky is probably one of the most popular people in the company.  I'm not a fan of fans cheering the heel, but it was to be expected in this case.  Actually, I'm surprised how many people are cheering Sasha and booing Becky.

It's going to take a lot of work to get heel Becky over.  The Man was originally a heel gimmick, but people refused to boo her so the booking turned her back face rather quickly.  I won't be surprised if this heel run doesn't go mostly the same way.

She was getting plenty of boos in the weeks leading up. I think they will stick with the heel turn this time around since its what she wanted, and she has been doing a pretty good job at it. There are always going to be some crowds who want to cheer for her, but as long as it doesn't turn to boos for her opponents I think it will be generally fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If, as I've heard it described, she's doing a Conor McGregor, I'm not sure that gimmick will be universally booed. 

I still think Obnoxious New Mother is the gimmick for her to actually be booed. 

I wish I could say I wasn't completely serious but I don't trust wrestling fans with this type of gimmick.  Next thing you'll know they'll start talking shit about the baby and things go too far.  Besides, while I wasn't sure about it at first her doing a Connor gimmick actually is a nice progression from her boastful promos pre-pregnancy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't followed WWE for years, but I was interested in the two women's title matches, so I tuned in. Some random thoughts:

The opening six-man was fun. New Day are good.

Alexa vs Charlotte didn't make sense to me. I watched the back-to-back Alexa vs Asuka matches from Raw earlier this year, and they established pretty clearly that Alexa could squash Asuka like a bug when she goes "dark". So... does she just not do that anymore? Did they run an angle where she lost her supernatural powers? Regardless, an ordinary wrestling match where Charlotte no-sells and destroys Alexa's gimmick was not what I expected to see.

By contrast, I wasn't expecting anything but a normal wrestling match for the Smackdown Women's Title, and we got a really good one. Turns out Becky is really good at working heel, but then, Becky can do pretty much anything in a wrestling ring. I was fine with the ending until Sasha attacked Becky. Are we supposed to assume it was just a coincidence that she decided to launch her attack just when it looked like Bianca was about to win? Does she have some other reason to prefer Becky as champion that she'll reveal on Friday? As it stands, it didn't make much sense.

I didn't pay much attention to the main event - Reigns is great, but I've never had much use for Balor. I didn't catch what actually happened at the end. But the show closed with the commentators seemingly desperately trying to sell what happened as an acceptable ending, which isn't a good sign.

Edited by tbarrie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't usually think Meltzer and Alvarez are particularly funny, but I did laugh while they were talking about the main event on Observer Radio.  

Dave: Well, I think they said he (Finn) was dead and coming back to life.

Alvarez: Commentary said he was resurrected, so, yes, he was definitrely dead

Dave: Ok, so he was dead - he's like Jerry Lawler.......

This was about 30 secs before Alvarez described the Demon's hulk-up routine as "Demon New Jack".

I lol'ed.

Dave can't tell a joke to save his life.  He's funnier when he's not trying to be.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Alexa vs Charlotte didn't make sense to me. I watched the back-to-back Alexa vs Asuka matches from Raw earlier this year, and they established pretty clearly that Alexa could squash Asuka like a bug when she goes "dark". So... does she just not do that anymore? Did they run an angle where she lost her supernatural powers? Regardless, an ordinary wrestling match where Charlotte no-sells and destroys Alexa's gimmick was not what I expected to see.

They didn't really build Charlotte/Alexa up around Alexa's spooky shit. 

11 hours ago, tbarrie said:

By contrast, I wasn't expecting anything but a normal wrestling match for the Smackdown Women's Title, and we got a really good one. Turns out Becky is really good at working heel, but then, Becky can do pretty much anything in a wrestling ring. I was fine with the ending until Sasha attacked Becky. Are we supposed to assume it was just a coincidence that she decided to launch her attack just when it looked like Bianca was about to win? Does she have some other reason to prefer Becky as champion that she'll reveal on Friday? As it stands, it didn't make much sense.

Not sure where the lack of sense is. Its not like Sasha is friends with Becky. That is why Becky looked so damn nervous when she was giving a thumbs up. She knew Sasha was about to beat her ass as well. Presumably Sasha just chose Bianca first because Bianca is the one she lost her title to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, Dog said:

So wait ... is ROMAN REIGNS God's favorite champion??? Tell me Miro at least gets to keep his double-jointed wife.

He could still be 2nd favorite and get special treatment! And like Casey pointed out, against The Demon, you would very likely be getting some celestial perks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 4:31 PM, Iron Moose said:

All Elite Wrestling: where the ring doesn't collapse from regular use.

Or the announce desk doesn't collapse on itself from a self-proclaimed fat ass dancing on it earlier! Although, if JR, Wight OR Mark Henry did it, I wouldn't blame the table. That's not regular use for an announce desk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

They didn't really build Charlotte/Alexa up around Alexa's spooky shit. 

Okay, but if Alexa has a super mode where she's invincible, why wouldn't she use it in a title match?

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Not sure where the lack of sense is. Its not like Sasha is friends with Becky. That is why Becky looked so damn nervous when she was giving a thumbs up. She knew Sasha was about to beat her ass as well. Presumably Sasha just chose Bianca first because Bianca is the one she lost her title to.

The issue is the timing. If Sasha just wanted to beat up Bianca and Becky, presumably she'd attack at the beginning of the match, as soon as they were both in the same place at the same time, or after the match was over, when they'd be at their most worn down. Instead she attacked when it looked like Bianca was about to win. That doesn't make sense, unless she has some reason to prefer Becky as champion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When they released Bray Wyatt, they told Alexa to stop using Bray's moves and no-selling.  Presumably, that has something to do with why they're allegedly taking Alexa off tv for awhile to be repackaged.

Does Alexa still get "Bray" chants from crowds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

When they released Bray Wyatt, they told Alexa to stop using Bray's moves and no-selling.  Presumably, that has something to do with why they're allegedly taking Alexa off tv for awhile to be repackaged.

Does Alexa still get "Bray" chants from crowds?

I'm going to assume that in this case "they" refers to the evil spirits possessing both Bray and Alexa. They "released" Bray from the spell The Fiend had on him and then told Alexa she's not allowed to use their powers to win wrestling matches anymore. Now as to WHY this happened, and what made the spirits to act that way, but it may have something to do with the fact that it was Bray who they wanted and Alexa was just a special weapon they gave him. Once they let him go, they decided not to allow the use of their powers anymore, but forgot to release Alexa from under the spell! Now that the doll met her demise, maybe the spell will be broken.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

When they released Bray Wyatt, they told Alexa to stop using Bray's moves and no-selling.  Presumably, that has something to do with why they're allegedly taking Alexa off tv for awhile to be repackaged.

Well, that makes sense, but one would hope they'd provide some sort of in-universe explanation for the change.

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I'm going to assume that in this case "they" refers to the evil spirits possessing both Bray and Alexa. They "released" Bray from the spell The Fiend had on him and then told Alexa she's not allowed to use their powers to win wrestling matches anymore. Now as to WHY this happened, and what made the spirits to act that way, but it may have something to do with the fact that it was Bray who they wanted and Alexa was just a special weapon they gave him. Once they let him go, they decided not to allow the use of their powers anymore, but forgot to release Alexa from under the spell! Now that the doll met her demise, maybe the spell will be broken.

See, that works.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...