DVDVR Message Board

The Miami Dolphins Dumpster Fire Thread

Ryan

Statement from Jonathan Martin's lawyer:

Jonathan Martin's  toughness is not at issue. Jonathan has started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012. At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh's "smash mouth" brand of football and he protected Andrew Luck's blind side.

The issue is Jonathan's treatment by his teammates.  Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing.  For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment.  This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying.  Despite these efforts, the taunting continued.  Beyond the well-publicized voice mail with its racial epithet, Jonathan endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate, and daily vulgar comments such as the quote at the bottom.  These facts are not in dispute.

Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice. Despite his love for football, Jonathan left the Dolphins. Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation.

Quote from teammate: "We are going to run train on your sister. . . . She loves me. I am going to f-k her without a condom and c- in her c-."

I hope that unnamed teammate eventually gets named.

Jonathan Martin's  toughness is not at issue. Jonathan has started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012. At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh's "smash mouth" brand of football and he protected Andrew Luck's blind side.

The issue is Jonathan's treatment by his teammates.  Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing.  For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment.  This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying.  Despite these efforts, the taunting continued.  Beyond the well-publicized voice mail with its racial epithet, Jonathan endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate, and daily vulgar comments such as the quote at the bottom.  These facts are not in dispute.

Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice. Despite his love for football, Jonathan left the Dolphins. Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation.

Quote from teammate: "We are going to run train on your sister. . . . She loves me. I am going to f-k her without a condom and c- in her c-."

That's a free clinic trip no one needs right there.

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say it was a white player that used the female related C word. I don't use that word and nor do I know any other black people that use it. Maybe I live in my own, little bubble though. The phrase "run a train", however, is a different story.

So, you're saying you don't use the "c-word", but "run a train" is a different story, meaning you do use it and know other black people who do?

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say it was a white player that used the female related C word. I don't use that word and nor do I know any other black people that use it. Maybe I live in my own, little bubble though. The phrase "run a train", however, is a different story.

So, you're saying you don't use the "c-word", but "run a train" is a different story, meaning you do use it and know other black people who do?

Yes.

THere has to be accountability.. and there's been none.

There needs to be an established process for dealing with matters such as this.

His agent brought it up with the coach before Martin left the team.. and his reported attitude was "Go ahead and punch (Incognito)"

If there are multiple folks doing it, you can't punch them all.

It doesn't matter if the player was white or black. It was a vile message and something the organization should not tolerate under any circumstance.

Exactly, but the media is going to twist it no matter what to fit their viewpoint. It's going to turn into either "The Dolphins locker room has a racial problem" OR "See Incognito is not necessarily a racist! He's just the king of the bullies".

His agent brought it up with the coach before Martin left the team.. and his reported attitude was "Go ahead and punch (Incognito)"

The story about that has been amended to report that Ireland's suggestion came after Martin left the team.

If multiple people are bothering you, that's what guns are for.

The story about that has been amended to report that Ireland's suggestion came after Martin left the team.

If multiple people are bothering you, that's what guns are for.

yeah, that's all we need.

Agreed. The female c-word, male c-word, and gangbang aren't terms used by many blacks.  They simply aren't.

I hope that unnamed teammate eventually gets named.

My guess is his name starts with Tanne- and ends in -hill.

Posted Image

And I thought I said to shut up about it.

I heard it was the GM, not the coach, which is even worse. . .

I didn't realize Martin's attorney also represented A-Rod and Ryan Braun. That might change the narrative a bit now.

I'm pretty sure threatening to gang rape a player's sister and then have seemingly forced unprotected sex with her is bad.

Technically, he didn't say rape. That is unless she is underage where said train is going to happen. Then, we have entered a whole different territory of fucked up.

Now, I am thinking about that one episode from the first season of New York Undercover.

As terrible as a GM as Ireland has been, I can't find it in my heart to hate the guy after he asked Dez Bryant if he momma was a ho. That is some honesty for you.

I still don't really know what is going on with Martin and such, but maybe it is a good thing this came out so early in his career. A lot of the talk has been about a "culture change." If that's the case, I highly doubt the Phins are the only fucked up team in the league. It's just that Martin situation brought attention to it.

Who am I kidding, he is going to have a hard time convincing a team to sign him.

As terrible as a GM as Ireland has been, I can't find it in my heart to hate the guy after he asked Dez Bryant if he momma was a ho. That is some honesty for you.

I still don't really know what is going on with Martin and such, but maybe it is a good thing this came out so early in his career. A lot of the talk has been about a "culture change." If that's the case, I highly doubt the Phins are the only fucked up team in the league. It's just that Martin situation brought attention to it.

Who am I kidding, he is going to have a hard time convincing a team to sign him.

Gotta think Martin is DONE, no matter what the NFL finds, and he is probably counting on a big settlement with the Dolphins.  Not defending the behavior at all, but to take it public sounds like a mortal sin among NFL players who have commented. . .

If I was associated with the Dolphins ownership, I'd be saying to the coaches and players involved.. "You have a choice. You can quit, or be fired. Choose."

Is this Burgundy posting under another screen name? Usually she's behind all of the posts that make me cringe.

• Like 1