DVDVR Message Board

The Miami Dolphins Dumpster Fire Thread

Ryan

This is rather weird.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9904868/jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-leaves-team

Miami Dolphins starting offensive tackle Jonathan Martin left the team following an incident with teammates, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

What apparently happened is:

Well, he's apparently dealing with more than that, according to FOX Sports 1, which just reported that Martin "kind of flipped out," and smashed a food tray on the floor of the team lunch room on Monday when a practical joke perpertrated by teammates didn't sit well with him.

Teammates apparently walked away from an ill Martin when he sat down near them in the lunch room. And not appreciating the joke, Martin went off ... like into the sunset.

And he hasn't returned to the team since.

Rand Getlin (@Rand_Getlin) tweeted at 8:07 PM on Tue, Nov 05, 2013:
Ruh Roh. RT @dkurtenbach: Dolphins coaches asked Ricky Incognito to "toughen up" Jonathan Martin http://t.co/DIDjfKoTW6
(https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/397908039870607360)

Posted Image

Ruh Roh. RT @dkurtenbach: Dolphins coaches asked Ricky Incognito to "toughen up" Jonathan Martin http://t.co/DIDjfKoTW6

Posted Image

Never took Joe Philbin as the Nathan Jessup type.  But here we are.  It's now a question of how many heads roll on this.  What a clusterfuck.

Posted Image

Never took Joe Philbin as the Nathan Jessup type.  But here we are.  It's now a question of how many heads roll on this.  What a clusterfuck.

Just from a public relations perspective, Philbin has to go, and maybe into the front office, if the paper trail goes there. It will really depend on the public reaction, because because the tough guy dinosaurs in the league won't do anything. . . .

Posted Image

"Son, we live in a world that has Quarterbacks, and those Quarterbacks have to be guarded by fat men with pads. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Martin, and you curse the Dolphins. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Martin's hazing, while tragic, probably saved Tannehill's career. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves Tannehill's career. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that sideline, you need me on that sideline. We use words like toughness, grit, intangibles. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very entertainment that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you put on some pads, and get in your stance. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

"Did I order Martin's hazing, YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I DID!"

• Like 8

As far as public opinions go, this is probably the worst topic for the league to look out of touch with.  With bullying being such a big deal now in schools, the last thing Goodell needs is to be seen as the ineffective principal of 32 rowdy classrooms whose lead teachers not only condone the abuse of their IEP students, but possibly encourage it.

The slightly more disturbing thing,All the Dolphins players to speak out on this thus far have been pro-Incognito and anti-Martin.

But is that really shocking Incognito is a pro-bowler Martin is considered one of the worest linemen in the league. (That is not to say the abuse was ok, just explains why they would be pro and con on the players)

The slightly more disturbing thing,

All the Dolphins players to speak out on this thus far have been pro-Incognito and anti-Martin.

See why I said they're both cuttable?  

Look, I know what the reality is.  Unless Incognito has some massive guns to defend himself with (figuratively), he's done.  Probably completely as an NFL player.  No one wants to deal with a 30 year old lineman who is a "bad teammate" and has already had surgically repaired injuries.  His claim that the two had "an amicable exchange of texts" along with "acting under orders" kind of help, but... yeah.  I see no way he's getting back in a Miami Dolphins uniform.

As far as Martin goes.  He's now forever acquired the label "soft".  Fair or not, this is going to massively affect his chances of future employment.  A soft, head-case (and frankly bad) offensive lineman isn't going to last long in a place where there are at least 10 Incognitos on every team. And also, anything Incognito did is going to be nothing compared to what's said and/or done to him on the field. 

And in terms of straight up personnel... I'll guarantee you this, NFL GM's are going to take an Incognito on their team 99.9% of the time over a Martin.  

All that said... Incognito's probably getting cut soon. Martin... eh. If I'm a betting man, I'm saying he's retiring. Because, well, there's no way in hell Serpico goes back on the job.  And in terms of coaches who encouraged this?  I'm guessing the O Line coach is fired.  And maybe OC Mike Sherman is too.  I doubt Philbin will lose his job though. 

Cris Carter on ESPN said in not so many words that Martin comes from a fairly wealthy background and thus doesn't know how to deal with adversity and is mentally weak and was looking for a way out of the league because he sucked anyway. He then went on to quote upstanding citizens men of great character Mike Pouncey and Mike Wallace and their opinion that they support Incognito.

Carter killed most of his brain during his drinking and drugging days. We can't depend on him to see things logically.  He honestly looks like he's a stroke survivor at times.  Bet a crack binge brought it on.

Mike Pouncey publicly acknowledged his friendship with Aaron Hernandez.  Enough said about his intelligence.

• Like 1

I felt uneasy watching the Chris Carter segment on ESPN.  Speaking about the brotherhood of the locker room and the use of the "N bomb" as a way to bring everyone together.  Now the Herm Edwards segment afterwards was much better.  As a Jay Mohr Sports fan,  I endorse the "put your name on it!" and take responsibility for it that Herm endorses.

Carter killed most of his brain during his drinking and drugging days. We can't depend on him to see things logically.  He honestly looks like he's a stroke survivor at times.  Bet a crack binge brought it on.

Mike Pouncey publicly acknowledged his friendship with Aaron Hernandez.  Enough said about his intelligence.

Plus being a WR in that era was a bit rough on the head as well. Listen as a whole athletes are  not candidates for Mensa anyway, and if you are used to that sort of thing, it would seem natural to be rougher on Martin, for "toughness" reasons as well publicizing locker room stuff. I am not defending Incognitio, as he seems like a piece of shit, but the players that are, seem to be insulated from public opinion on the issue.

My gawd why is everyone asking why Martin didn't just fight Incognito...lets see you have Martin a second year marginal player vs Incognito a pro-bowler even if Martin whooped Incognito and this all came out I'm putting money down its Martin giving his walking papers not Incognito.