DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

16 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Are you going to talk about his short shorts?

I am currently rocking short shorts for my brudda Hook, so yes. They feel like you're wearing nothing at all. 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I'm sorry but if AEW isn't signing talent like Joe and Sombra because of the Gunn Club, that is fucking dumb. There is some serious fat on the roster that could be trimmed if you want to get rid of the bloat. 

If TK doesn't have a "Vince McMahon pads his profit margins" slush fund of two or three mil to sign guys Vinnie Mac is just discarding with, he's not the genius Meltzer thinks he is. 

Also, someone on twitter just pitched "Billie Kay spends weeks on BTE giving her resume out & trying to join Dark Order" and now I can't not want it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The whole act is over-stuffed and over-seasoned. It doesn't need more stuffing or seasoning. 

They have a person named 99. They need to start working their way up from 11-99.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

They have a person named 99. They need to start working their way up from 11-99.

I realize you're having a laugh, but I love how a page ago we're making hypothetical cuts to a bloated roster and now you're adding more room meat to the most bloated faction on the roster. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuck it:

Hey! Tony!

TONY!

HEYYYYYY  UNCLE TOOOOOOOEEEE-KNEEEEEE!!!!!!

Bring in TUCKy as the third member of Bear Country, have them go over, let's ay, The Bucks & Kenny in the finals of a six-man tourney, and give them a dominant year-long run with the brand new six-man tag title belts.

Please & Thank You,

El Gran Gordi

EDIT: Oh, and as long as I'm fantasy booking like some cheese-eating high school boy:

Samoa Joe vs JD Drake in a long feud where Drake earns Joe's respect, followed by them teaming up against Butcher & Blade and against FTR.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Eventually you gotta start running a business like it's a business.

Nope.

Run it like a labour of love. 

To hell with putting out the best "product." Make AEW the best and happiest place o work in the whole world. Keep friends and family together, hire people you want to hang out with. AEW is already successful, doing what they are doing. Why fuck with that? 

Let the assholes run their businesses like assholes.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Nope.

To hell with putting out the best "product." Make AEW the best and happiest place o work in the whole world. Keep friends and family together, hire people you want to hang out with. AEW is already successful, doing what they are doing. Why fuck with that? 

BRING BACK THE CONFUSED REACTION

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Nope.

Co-signed. Let Tony Khan just continue to be the epitome of Free Pizza Dude running a fed on EWR. TK seems like a quality human being, and I hope that never changes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully he can be cleared to wrestle, but even if that is not the case, I still think AEW has to hire Samoa Joe. No slight to anyone on commentary currently, but Joe is better than at least 80% of them. Also, I know it is a stupid reason; but I am really hoping Royce and Kay get signed just from a BTE possibilities standpoint. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, punkenhead said:

Hopefully he can be cleared to wrestle, but even if that is not the case, I still think AEW has to hire Samoa Joe. No slight to anyone on commentary currently, but Joe is better than at least 80% of them. Also, I know it is a stupid reason; but I am really hoping Royce and Kay get signed just from a BTE possibilities standpoint. 

Joe was great on commentary but I wouldn't mind seeing him being a manager/sometimes wrestler for a stable to counter Team Taz.  The promos between the two would be insane and with the right crew could make for quality television.  As for Joe's stable it'd have to be Bear Country and maybe Cage since he's on his way out from Team Taz anyway.

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Is Janela going to be the first guy to ask for his release?

The first Wrestler to ask for their release was Kylie Rae.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, AxB said:

The first Wrestler to ask for their release was Kylie Rae.

True. So who is the second wrestler to ask for their release? 

This made me laugh. 

That promo was so incredible that I hope it convinced him to never, ever become an onscreen character beyond guy in gorilla position. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jiji said:

Whoa, I think Miro could be Joe-esque if he keeps on this current path. He's got that prime Joe intensity. If he can structure a match like Joe of that era, he's going to be a huge star for AEW because prime Joe wasn't much of a promo until later on.

Miro vs. Samoa Joe is the match I never knew I wanted to see until now.

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2FlNTY3

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

Putting Joe in a faction seems like the wrong move. He's a destroyer. Have him be a guy that wants to fuck up who he wants and when he wants.

I do hope that Joe does something pretty drastic over this time, like getting a health and nutrition coach and starting keto or something. Every pound lost is like 4 lbs. of weight off of your knees. Even if he could drop 40 to 50 lbs. it would be a massive improvement for mobility, his knees, and conditioning.

If anything, I think Joe being on his own but with a loose alliance and understanding with guys like Mox and Kingston would be a-okay. Three main event dudes with deep indie roots who can all talk mad shit on the mic. Actually that's not even fair ?

• Like 1

Since @Raziel challenged me to do so, and he is right about it....guys, WWE just laid people off just to shave a few bucks off the bottom line and maybe hire 5 more marketing people and some announcer who knows nothing about wrestling.  If we want AEW to be an alternative to that evil shit, let's not speculate over who TK can fire to make room for Joe, the IIconics, etc. 

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Putting Joe in a faction seems like the wrong move. He's a destroyer. Have him be a guy that wants to fuck up who he wants and when he wants.

I do hope that Joe does something pretty drastic over this time, like getting a health and nutrition coach and starting keto or something. Every pound lost is like 4 lbs. of weight off of your knees. Even if he could drop 40 to 50 lbs. it would be a massive improvement for mobility, his knees, and conditioning.

Good point.  I should have specified earlier but I was thinking at the time about his health and how much he would actually wrestle.  But faction or destroyer I think he'll be one helluva addition.

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Since @Raziel challenged me to do so, and he is right about it....guys, WWE just laid people off just to shave a few bucks off the bottom line and maybe hire 5 more marketing people and some announcer who knows nothing about wrestling.  If we want AEW to be an alternative to that evil shit, let's not speculate over who TK can fire to make room for Joe, the IIconics, etc. 

That did get a bit tense over there, didn't it?  But to your point aren't there still a fair amount of contracts that are short-term ones?  Might not need to speculate/wish for cuts when it may just come down to what happens when those contracts expire.

And I'm not sure if y'all are serious about Janela asking for his release or not.  Quick search didn't pull up anything.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And I'm not sure if y'all are serious about Janela asking for his release or not.  Quick search didn't pull up anything.

Nope, he just strikes me as unhappy with how things have gone in AEW. I remember last year, I believe, he made a rather snarky twitter post. It's pretty clear he's not going to be a featured guy beyond getting a match with a name guy once every few months. 

I think during the pandemic, Tony Khan has made a point of trying to get people that otherwise wouldn't be associated with AEW some work with indies not running at all or often. I don't want him to fire anybody with the state of the world but I just don't buy the "roster is too bloated, they shouldn't sign Joe/whomever" argument. Make room for people that would have a clear positive effect on your promotion and figure out the bloat issues later. James, Joe, and the IIConics should be obvious targets in my mind. 

I was talking to a friend about Mojo last night. I thought Rawley had some real potential with that heel turn and those phone promos but it never went anywhere. That stupid get hyped gimmick with the dumb white boy dancing pretty much was  death sentence for his push, but he could be a good reclamation project for somebody. 

• Like 1