DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

J D Drake and Baron Black had a chop battle that drew chest blood on Dark.

Actually kind of digging how they've separated the shows by having Elevation get taped in bright sunlight, whilst Dark happens after nightfall.

• Like 1

If that's done on purpose then that's pretty great.  Plus there's the added benefit of having it during the day where those ringside aren't as tired as they would likely be after Dynamite.  It's crazy to think that they'd tape this stuff until 2:30am.  Even for once every two weeks that's still rather insane to do a match that late.

I remember a bunch of people here saying how gassed Butcher looked in the Mox match or other things to that effect.

“I just came back from COVID. I got cleared the day before, so my lungs were still messed up,” Butcher admitted. “I shouldn’t have wrestled that match. I’ve never felt anything like that in my life. If it was a 10-minute match, oh, that’s awesome. It was a 20-minute match. I had no plane ticket. I was sitting at home.

“Mox had just wrestled Eddie [Kingston] on Dynamite. It was 2:00 in the morning. I wake up to take a piss, and there’s a text from Mox that says, ‘I think it’s you and I Friday,’ and this is Wednesday. Dynamite had just aired. ‘I think it’s us Friday,’ and I’m like, what? This dude’s gotta be drunk. That’s all I thought is, he’s got to be drunk, and he’s texting someone.

“He doesn’t know that he’s texting me, and then I wake up that morning. And [Chris] Harrington was like, ‘Hey, can you be in Jacksonville on Friday?’ And I was like, oh my God. ‘Am I clear?’ And then Doc Samson texts me, and he goes, ‘Yeah, you’re clear right now.’ I was like, okay. He’s like, ‘soon as you get here, you have to get tested.’ So I get there. I test negative. I had antibodies, but I still had COVID (the after-effects).”

Butcher continued and described the conditions that he wrestled in. He revealed The Young Bucks’ reaction after the match, and he revealed what his mindset was after the match.

“It was 98 degrees that night,” Butcher stated. “My two singles matches with AEW, one was against Mox. It was 98 degrees with a 100% humidity. Then my match with PAC, it was 27 degrees that night. Two different extremes but here’s the thing, I got frustrated in a whole other way with that Mox match because I really wanted it, and I know that me and Mox would have great chemistry. And it was so easy to call the match. I didn’t take anything into consideration. I didn’t take the heat into consideration. I didn’t take the fact that even though I didn’t have symptoms of COVID, it still affected me. I was still fatigued, and I’m not making excuses, but it was a rough one."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/04/aew-star-reveals-wrestling-world-title-match-right-after-recovering-from-covid/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That JD Drake/Baron Black match on Dark was really good. I’ve been quite impressed with Black the last few times I’ve seen him. His gear does nothing for him though.

So was the end game of Sky’s ladder match win and subsequent heel turn just a pivot into another team?

Feels underwhelming. I actually like the combo though, I’m preferring Sky’s heel work and tag guy feels like the right position for him. Plus, I think it’s a better slot to build Page from, as I don’t think he’s worth a featured solo slot yet.

Not a bad end result really but a bit of a strange way to get there, particularly as an SCU split and Kaz turn seems to be in the works, which is a logical story for Sky to fit into.

SCU (Daniels and Kaz) are going to split next time they lose a tag match. Scorpio Sky is now in a heel Tag Team. I reckon Sky is going to be the guy who retires Daniels.

• Like 3

Good call, that’d be a nice end to that angle. Although I don’t have much interest in SCU, it’d be nice to have them get a couple of higher profile wins on Dynamite to build the angle a bit more. It feels a bit dead having been tucked away on Dark, other than that one 8 man with The Bucks which feels ages ago.

Some of it certainly connects. Not sure I agree with all of it (he had grown in NJPW past the BC shit clearly, so this is more of a regression than anything). I enjoy the psychobabble Omega takes though.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, Kev said:

Feels underwhelming. I actually like the combo though, I’m preferring Sky’s heel work and tag guy feels like the right position for him. Plus, I think it’s a better slot to build Page from, as I don’t think he’s worth a featured solo slot yet.

What kills me is that they cut a promo together about AEW misusing them or something so now they're going to team up.

Page just debuted with the company.  Isn'it it too early for that?

Going back to some talk of Luchasaurus from a while back...I think that guy needs a heel turn in the worst way.  I think he’d benefit from having to learn to do something different in the ring.  I understand the temptation to leave him as a babyface (because when he’s on, it can be pretty exciting to see a big guy do that  stuff), but when when he’s off, like he was this week, it’s rough, and it becomes really apparent that he would benefit from changing it up more.  And I don’t think that’s gonna happen as long as he’s doing this face act.

EDIT:  Or am I in the wrong thread?  Either way, still an applicable discussion!

Edited by EVA

17 minutes ago, DEAN said:

This is fun.

I can't post Instagram posts for whatever reason, I guess since I don't have an account, but Sandra Gray has a fun little video of her getting measurements for Abadon. She doesn't break character in that, either.

• Like 1