DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Love magic ever since I was a young boy.

Ohhh shiiiiiit! I didn't even notice that! That is awesome.

As for Wanda and Vision, I think even before this series they did enough to emphasize how in love those two were. That was a huge focus throughout Infinity War and when Vision bites it, Wanda is just totally emotionally crushed. It helps that Elizabeth Olson is a good actor.

And I loved Kat Dennings returning in this. I'd love for there to be some kind of MCU procedural series starring her and Randal Park. Make it X-Files or something set in the MCU. Disney+ could use the content.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, EVA said:

Something that occurred to me the other day and has fascinated me ever since, vis a vis how much someone has to know in order to care about or be invested in WANDAVISION:

Let’s say you’re an MCU fan, but not an avid comic reader (which I imagine accounts for the vast majority of the people who watch these movies)...how much do you *actually* care about the Wanda/Vision relationship?  I mean, just based on what was in the movies.

Because pretty much their entire relationship occurred off-screen, in between movies.  

I'd say I broadly fit this description, so I'll chip in my two cents.

I hardly care about their relationship at all. But the climax of Infinity War was sufficiently emotionally resonant that I'm keen to see where they go with Wanda from there. That's pretty much what I'm here for.

Returning to the discussion of Park and Dennings, I find the best use of their characters is to lightly season someone else's thing rather than to have their own thing in the MCU if they're going to be as funny as they were going for in the last episode. 

My overall impression of this as a whole has ranged from "This is fine, if a bit short" to "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory and have a proper headline Avenger show up? Where's Doctor Strange? Does Jimmy Woo still have Scott Lang's phone number?" The up-close look at the unsnappening was probably the most interesting bit thus far, and played way different than the brief glimpse we got in Far From Home. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, EVA said:

Something that occurred to me the other day and has fascinated me ever since, vis a vis how much someone has to know in order to care about or be invested in WANDAVISION:

Let’s say you’re an MCU fan, but not an avid comic reader (which I imagine accounts for the vast majority of the people who watch these movies)...how much do you *actually* care about the Wanda/Vision relationship?  I mean, just based on what was in the movies.

FWIW, I've read comics off and on since the 1980's and I've never cared about the relationship between Vision and Wanda as presented in the comic.  For that matter, I've never cared for either character.  Wanda's never resonated with me and I generally consider Vision to be a dull character who's hard to write.  But I'm really into the show right now.  At the moment, the relationships and whatever is going on is hooking me in, and that's all I really require from entertainment media.  As long as the project is good, I get invested in it and the characters.  By the same token, I'll jump out of a show or book in a minute if the writing is bad but I like the characters.

I also enjoyed Tom King's Vision comic series a few years ago.  I still found the character dull but the writer made the family dynamic and central conflict interesting.  

Also, on the "casual viewer" tip, while my wife has seen almost all the MCU flicks, she has never read a comic book. She LOVES Wandavision so far, even watching the latest episode a second time immediately after we were done. There's a lot to be said about good portrayals of women superheros that I'm not nearly eloquent enough to put out there, but it's legit as fuck. 

• Like 3

To reiterate what was said earlier, be careful with spoilers out there. I think they’re reaching the point where people are talking about them without actually spoiling them. I just saw something on Twitter that I wish I hadn’t, even though it didn’t actually spoil anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People also want to fantasy book the ending (as some have done here). Odds are that  a certain % of people will be right by trying to guess the "big surprise" they are teasing, whether it's 

Spoiler

Strange or Magneto or the other Pietro or Mephisto or someone else.

Edited by odessasteps

I still have so many questions for being un-snapped. Disney is leaving money on the table if they don't do some kind of a horror movie (PG-13 obviously) of people that suddenly returned.

And once again this just proves that Thanos was right and the Avengers fucked everything up. Yeah, half of everything in the universe disappeared, but that still leaves half living. When do world governments start falling into chaos and civil war when they suddenly have two leaders? How about all the people that obviously died horrific deaths falling 10,000+ feet to their death if they disappeared on a flight? I mean, people want to talk about all the people that died in Metropolis because Superman and Zod duked it out. The Avengers are responsible for more deaths than we can possibly imagine across the entire universe. 

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I still have so many questions for being un-snapped. Disney is leaving money on the table if they don't do some kind of a horror movie (PG-13 obviously) of people that suddenly returned.

And once again this just proves that Thanos was right and the Avengers fucked everything up. Yeah, half of everything in the universe disappeared, but that still leaves half living. When do world governments start falling into chaos and civil war when they suddenly have two leaders? How about all the people that obviously died horrific deaths falling 10,000+ feet to their death if they disappeared on a flight? I mean, people want to talk about all the people that died in Metropolis because Superman and Zod duked it out. The Avengers are responsible for more deaths than we can possibly imagine across the entire universe. 

At a certain point, we have to choose whether to suspend disbelief or not. These are super hero movies, and there are always going to be things that don’t sit right. There was the whole No-Prize thing that existed for when fans explained away plot holes from the comic.

I’m not saying anyone is wrong for thinking through these things or letting it bother them, but it’s kind of like the Death Star argument from Clerks.  Thanos’ snap would have killed a lot of more people than just those snapped, when you factor in stuff pilots and drivers disappearing mid-flight/drive like in the Fury post-credits scene. Did all those people who died as a consequence of Thanos’ snap get brought back by Hulk’s snap? What about all the countless orphans? Was there a system in place to care for them? Were they adopted by parents who lost children? What kind of emotional traumas would take place when lost parents and children came back? Or something basic, like what would have happened if someone else had been sitting in Monica’s chair when she came back?

At the end of the day, Thanos’ action was supposed to be horrible on a grand scale that should be largely incomprehensible to us. Assuming they took the time to flesh out an answer to what happened in some of these situations, it probably wouldn’t be worth the time (or that satisfying) to have some throw away line like having Hulk/Banner say “Oh, I made sure to think that no one would be hurt when they came back.”  If that stuff crosses a line for some people, that’s fine and understandable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I never see you in on many TV shows on here, so this is kinda fun. 

Cheers, mate. Yeah, I tend not to watch TV shows. It's usually just WWE, AEW, Marvel Studios, Parks and Recreation.

I've never seen an episode of The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Seinfeld, Mad Man, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, mate. Yeah, I tend not to watch TV shows. It's usually just WWE, AEW, Marvel Studios, Parks and Recreation.

I've never seen an episode of The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Seinfeld, Mad Man, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

No worries, we all have our own pop culture blind spots. I'm just excited to see you getting excited about TV, since I'm so used to seeing that happening for you with other mediums.

Also, if you could only pick one TV show, Parks and Rec is definitely in the upper-echelon on twenty-first century TV comedy. And one that established the bulk of its core cast as stars. You'd be hard-pressed to make a better pick if you were stuck on a desert island. Good choice. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

No worries, we all have our own pop culture blind spots. I'm just excited to see you getting excited about TV, since I'm so used to seeing that happening for you with other mediums.

Also, if you could only pick one TV show, Parks and Rec is definitely in the upper-echelon on twenty-first century TV comedy. And one that established the bulk of its core cast as stars. You'd be hard-pressed to make a better pick if you were stuck on a desert island. Good choice. 

Kind of you to say, @Andy in Kansas. Cheers. Started watching Parks and Recreation the last year and it's become one of my favourite TV shows I've watched. It's both funny and has a sweet spot. Ron Swanson's the standout. Here's what I said about it:

Spoiler

26th April 2020:

Hello all. I started watching Parks and Recreation for the first time this year as it airs on Sky Comedy. I've caught episodes from different seasons and it's turned into one of my favourite TV shows. Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson and April Ludgate are my favourite characters. Might have to watch Parks and Rec from the beginning even though I've seen some episodes already including season openers. Would you recommend watching from the start? Reading the whole thread as well? Cheers.

10th November 2020:

Meant to make the following post sooner. Thoughts on Parks and Recreation as they come to me...

It's something seeing the show halfway through and then going from Season One with how different characters are, Ron Swanson in particular.

Season One is bad but is thankfully short at six episodes so you can get through it quickly. What a turnaround in quality from said season to each one that followed.

It's telling that Mark Brendanawicz was never brought back in later seasons and reunions on stage or the 2020 A Parks and Recreation Special. Not ever referred to. Says it all.

S2 got a boost by ditching the aforementioned above and adding Chris Traeger and Ben Wyatt to the cast.

My favourite seasons are Season 3, 4 and 5. If I have to say the best season of Parks and Rec, I'd go with S3.

S6 dropped in quality when Ann Perkins and Chris Traeger left in the middle of it.

I liked S7 more second go round than I did the first time. Didn't feel right having Leslie and Ron fallout.

Standout episodes: Ron and Tammy (S2, Ep8). The Master Plan (S2, Ep23), Ron and Tammy: Part Two (S3, Ep4), Harvest Festival (S3, Ep7), Eagleton (S3, Ep12), The Fight (S3, Ep13), Li'l Sebastian (S3, Ep16), The Trial of Leslie Knope (S4, Ep9), Win, Lose or Draw (S4, Ep22), Ron and Diane (S5, Ep9),  Leslie and Ben (S5, Ep14),  Ann and Chris (S6, Ep13), The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show (S7, So10 and One Last Ride (S7, Ep 12 and Ep13).

My three favourite characters are Ron Swanson, Leslie Knope and April Ludgate. Swanson is my #1. Mark Brendanawicz sucked. Really didn't like Craig either.

I LOVED A Parks and Recreation Special, 2020 is an all time bad year and the special was a much needed chicken soup for the soul. So well done under the circumstances. Had to watch it online as Sky Comedy's never shown it here.

I don't watch much TV. I do know that Parks and Recreation has become one of my favourite ever shows.

Looking forward to reading through the thread now. Hope Dolfan doesn't close it as it was on page 2 and the last post prior to this was the 4th of May. As noted, I intended to do this post sooner. Better late than never!

Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Just watched episode five of WandaVision, first time I've watched it as it dropped, 8am UK time:

Spoiler

Sparky the Dog cameo!!! Eventful episode. One of the best, I'd say. Might be the best. Wanda Maximoff when Agnes started asking if she should do a scene again in the middle of a conversation. Vision picking up on that and Wanda doing magic acts in front of Agnes.

We see top secret SWORD footage of Wanda retrieving Vision's corpse. Wanda's 32 years old. A disturbing scene as Vision wakens Norm as to what's actually happening, "she's in my head". Wanda leaves Westview for the first time giving a first and only warning not to come at her or else. Intense sequence. Vision challenges Wanda about her unethical behaviour. Nice touch as the sitcom credits generated by Wanda run while they argue. Wanda claiming its not her doing. I think some of it is and some not. Cliffhanger with Fox Quicksilver showing up! Funny Darcy saying "she recast Pietro?"

Waiting till the next episode sucks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2