DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

I enjoyed the first two episodes.  All the actors seems to be having a lot of fun, but it’s strange to me that Marvel wrote an homage to classic sitcoms but...didn’t actually bother to make it all that funny?  Seems like an oversight that they didn’t bring in some actual comedy writers to at least punch up the dialogue.  As it is, the show is more cute than funny.

Ultimately, though, it’s a mystery box show, and it’s going to live and die based on what’s revealed to be in the box at the end, more so than these early, premise-establishing episodes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

I enjoyed the first two episodes.  All the actors seems to be having a lot of fun, but it’s strange to me that Marvel wrote an homage to classic sitcoms but...didn’t actually bother to make it all that funny?  Seems like an oversight that they didn’t bring in some actual comedy writers to at least punch up the dialogue. 

Studio 60 Syndrome.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd like it if the episodes were actually funny. To me, they actually feel like the sitcoms they're spoofing, because I never found those funny anyway. I can't say I ever laughed watching Bewitched or anything when I was a kid.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I loved the first two episodes a lot.  Part of it was growing up on those old sitcoms so it was funny seeing them in that setting.  Especially once it was established that they need to find ways to hide their abilities from regular folk which led to funny deviations from the old sitcom tropes.  I will say as somebody that doesn't read the comics that having it start this way might be a good way to ease those unaware into things once everything gets to the standard Marvel stuff.  But between getting up to speed via the Legends episodes and this I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Am I the only one who picked up on the creepy "For the Children" thing in Episode 2?  

Nope, we noticed that too.  Very, very weird stuff going on.  Also liked the radio going into "Help me Wanda" and the glass breaking on that woman's hand.  Something is definitely amiss.

I also got a kick out of Vision acting like he was drunk but it was only because gum messed with his gears.  That is one example of the old sitcom tropes being turned on their head due to how the characters are.

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hey speak for yourselves...  I was cracking up at the talent show.  The physical comedy was off the charts.  ?

I feel there's something to be said about Wanda as the assistant but I'm trying to be above such comments (okay, just this time)  But I did love how she had to save his ass throughout it all.

Finally got round to watching the first two episodes of WandaVision. Really liked it even though I'm not familiar with sitcoms of the times it's paying homage to. I don't watch a lot of TV. Spoiler thoughts as they come to mind:

Spoiler

I see the following comic books as influences to this: Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Tom King/Gabriel Hernandez Walta Vision and Avengers Standoff with Pleasant Hill's memories manipulations. Of those, Avengers Disassembled I haven't read but know it's ending. Vision is fantastic. Tom King is a very hit and miss writer but when he's on, he's on. That's brilliant.

I propose one of the adverts be Thanos cereal with the os made up of the colours of the Infinity Stones! Thoughts?

I think we'll find Wanda's doing this for an ideal reality to her and not the reality that is life we know too well. It'll be an emotional reveal and I trust it'll be handled well based on Marvel Studios track record, addressing mental illness.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I think that's the best episode yet, we're slowly but surely getting to the point where things are revealing themselves to us. The last 5 minutes or so of this episode was DARK. Not in any type of overtly way, but just... something really sinister is beneath the surface, it feels like. Either she's being controlled, or Wanda has well and truly lost her goddamn mind and we're going to get a badass villain Scarlet Witch. I like that it could go either way.

Spoiler

Wanda presumably has taken over a small town, and the cast of characters we've met so far are trapped within her warped reality. Except for Geraldine, who we all know now to be Monica Rambeau, Agent of SWORD. It would appear that she infiltrated Wanda's bubble, but was either playing along with everything or is immediately overcome by the warped reality Wanda is casting over the town when she does enter Westview. It seems the citizens know they're being manipulated too, but are scared of Wanda. Maybe Agnes isn't Agatha Harkness? Or maybe she's playing along and blocking everyone from knowing who she really is?

Shit got heavy and semi-dark when Monica mentioned Pietro being killed by Ultron.

Speed & Wiccan are here, and probably here to stay as well. Young Avengers in the MCU is forming quite nicely. I read a theory on Reddit that her accelerated pregnancy wasn't her doing, but Tommy/Speed's powers doing it (and Billy/Wiccan being the cause of the stork and everything that happened during the final moments of the pregnancy).

I thought my internet fucked up for a minute during the part where Vision was first starting to notice something was odd about all of this. The sudden jump/rewind was jarring.

Other random things: The town slogan is "Home is where you make it". Vision quoting Shakespeare describes everything that's going on pretty perfectly. And the HYDRA bath commercial describes Wanda at this moment: "Escape to a world all your own", "Find the goddess within," "When you wanna get away but you don't want to go anywhere."

• Like 4

Spoiler

The thing I'm really digging about the show is that while it all seems like Wanda just up and snapped and is controlling all this while SWORD and/or the FBI keeps it isolated, it's entirely possible that it's being manipulated by someone else and SWORD is trying to break her out of it.

A low key great thing the show's done so far is be in 4:3 aspect to match the sitcoms, they have it transition to 11:9 for the ending once it broke out of controlled world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The thing I'm really digging about the show is that while it all seems like Wanda just up and snapped and is controlling all this while SWORD and/or the FBI keeps it isolated, it's entirely possible that it's being manipulated by someone else and SWORD is trying to break her out of it.

A low key great thing the show's done so far is be in 4:3 aspect to match the sitcoms, they have it transition to 11:9 for the ending once it broke out of controlled world.

Spoiler

I think they’ve done a good job setting up either possibility, between Wanda obviously having control over things and the “who’s doing this to you, Wanda?” from the second episode.

I don’t remember if it’s been mentioned here or not, but Herb is also the name of the High Evolutionary.  He and Agatha are both connected to Wundagore and Wanda, correct?

13 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:
  Hide contents

I don’t remember if it’s been mentioned here or not, but Herb is also the name of the High Evolutionary.  He and Agatha are both connected to Wundagore and Wanda, correct?

High Evolutionary is connected to both Wanda and Wundagore.  At one point fairly recently (Uncanny Avengers, I think), Wanda's origin was retconned.  Magneto is no longer her father.  Instead, she and Quicksilver ended up mutants due to genetic tampering by the High Evolutionary.

Agatha Harkness has no direct connection to High Revolutionary, but has been connected to Wanda at various times.  She was Wanda's mentor for awhile and taught her "true" magic.  In the comics, Harkness is an age-old witch from Salem.

Interestingly, Wanda killed Agatha Harkness in the comics.  I think Agatha has shown up in post-Secret Wars continuity to haunt Wanda.

I forgot until just now the deal with Wanda and Vision's comics twins.  At some point, they were revealed to be connected to Mephisto (soul fragments?  Or something like that?).  This was years before the Wiccan/Speed Young Avengers storyline.  IRRC, that was what led to Wanda snapping and killing Agatha Harkness.

Spoiler

I thought I recognized the name Master Pandemonium and found this on Wiki: 

Alongside the West Coast Avengers, he battled the Cat People in the Land Within, and regained one fragment of "his" soul.[4]

The only issue of West Coast Avengers I have (and one of the first comics I ever got) is this exact issue.

Edited by Curt McGirt

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It sounds like my joking speculation about both 

Reveal hidden contents

Bova and Master Pandemonium

May not be as silly as I thought.

Spoiler

If I made a list of 1000 characters I thought should be brought into the Marvel TV universe, Master Pandemonium would.... still not be on it.  It will be amusing if they bring him to tv and somehow manage to rehab him as a serious character.  

As someone who doesn’t read the comics - theoretically I would need to do homework to catch the subtle references (or Easter Eggs if you will)

The 3rd episode I enjoyed the most but a big part of that was because it got away from the Golden Age comedy stuff that I wasn’t a fan of 35 years ago and really am not a fan of now.

That constant feeling of dread that Matt mentions is definitely there and I kinda now wished I waited till the whole season was done before watching.

And the movie length credits each episode is irritating - mainly because I keep thinking “this will be the episode that there is an after credit clip”

Oh - I’m sure I’m wrong but I’m getting more a 

Spoiler

Truman Show 

vibe than anything else. 

• Like 4

Re: episode three’s commercial 

Spoiler

Was Hydra Soak a reference to anything other than the current situation?

The biggest unanswered question I have at the moment is why the TV motif, advancing through the decades.  It’s obviously a “real” thing as seen at the end of the first episode, but why?