DVDVR Message Board

MGFanJay

I'll give you the HBK ones, I guess, but the Triple H ones were garbage. Definitely don't agree that the Hunter/UT matches were the very definition of the main event WWE style. At all. It was just power move after power move, then a lot of finishers. No thanks. Undertaker/Edge or Undertaker/Batista are still my favorite "challenge the streak" matches.

I love Punk, but yeah, I didn't really enjoy the 'Mania match all that much. Come to think about it, I didn't really enjoy WrestleMania at all this year...

Trips/Taker wasn't even better than Flair/Michaels, let alone Taker/Michaels. Either match. Trips went above and beyond to put himself on a bigger level than each of those guys without telling anywhere near as good a story. It was a humongous ego stroke to say the least. The fact that Trips hit a fucking Tombstone in the 27 match is ludicrous beyond compare.

• Like 2

I'll never forget the cartoonishness & goofiness of the set-up for The Undertaker against Triple H. They build up the return of The Undertaker on RAW, then he finally comes back, does his big grand entrance & as soon as he takes off his hat, Triple H's music hits. He did his big grand entrance. Fifteen minutes later, Triple H slowly looks at the Wrestlemania sign, then The Undertaker looks at the Wrestlemania sign. Then The Undertaker smirks, dismissively & goes to walk away. Then stops, comes back & does the throat slit taunt. Triple H responds by doing the D-X crotch chop.

...that was the entire segment. It was half an hour, no word was spoken, no physicality took place and the throat slit & crotch chop apparently meant the Wrestlemania match was on.

I laughed pretty damn hard at that shit.

• Like 6

I'll never forget the cartoonishness & goofiness of the set-up for The Undertaker against Triple H. They build up the return of The Undertaker on RAW, then he finally comes back, does his big grand entrance & as soon as he takes off his hat, Triple H's music hits. He did his big grand entrance. Fifteen minutes later, Triple H slowly looks at the Wrestlemania sign, then The Undertaker looks at the Wrestlemania sign. Then The Undertaker smirks, dismissively & goes to walk away. Then stops, comes back & does the throat slit taunt. Triple H responds by doing the D-X crotch chop.

...that was the entire segment. It was half an hour, no word was spoken, no physicality took place and the throat slit & crotch chop apparently meant the Wrestlemania match was on.

I laughed pretty damn hard at that shit.

"Silent Stare" #100 on WWE's 100 Greatest RAW Moments DVD!

I can't wait for the "100 Greatest WM Sign Points" DVD.You could build a drinking game around those signs being shown/looked at/pointed too from January to April each year.

Not enough alcohol in the world. The Royal Rumble would kill most of us and the severe alcoholics would drown by the next night's Raw.

Are we going to have to rank The Streak matches again in a few months? The Punk match was good not great and since the rest of Wrestlemania was putrid it gets kind of over-touted. The Flair match is fun, Anderson hitting the spinebuster is a great moment. The HiaC match was really bland to me. HBK as the guest referee is obnoxious with his "Oh please, don't fight" attitude. Kills the match for me every time.

I wouldn't expect Sting-Taker to be a classic match, it is just one of the last few match ups worth being called a dream match. We never got to see Sting in WWE and it would be nice for him to get one last run. It doesn't really need a grand story, just re-introduce Sting, have him hit his moves on 3MB or some jobber and have him explain he is here to do one thing no one has ever done, beat Taker. This need not be elaborate. I cannot imagine we see Sting and Undertaker for much longer and ever since that fake poster was created for WM27 I think the match up has always had some intrigue to it amongst fans. It's be nice to get Sting in the WWE so they could then make a bio on him too.

Lesnar-Taker would be a good match I'm sure but I don't find it interesting at this point. If they can't get HBK back, have Lesnar-Bryan, that'd be fun. Anything but versus Undertaker.

If people just accepted that Triple H is one of the biggest stars of the last twenty years and stopped making excuses.. they wouldn't think the matches with Taker were ridiculous. They would see them for what they were... two legends squaring off, one who threw everything he had at the other.. and it wasn't quite enough...

I don't think Punk has been in a top five of the last five match.

You have to be conflicted about that somewhat though as far as Punk Lesnar. I didn't like it either and it was ridiculous how much it took for Lesnar to finish off Punk. The worst of the WWE main event style. Which is why there has to be some conflict since I felt like I was watching Triple H vs Triple H in that match. You had to enjoy that on some level.

I don't think Punk has been in a top five of the last five match.

You have to be conflicted about that somewhat though as far as Punk Lesnar. I didn't like it either and it was ridiculous how much it took for Lesnar to finish off Punk. The worst of the WWE main event style. Which is why there has to be some conflict since I felt like I was watching Triple H vs Triple H in that match. You had to enjoy that on some level.

Hahaha the thing is, Triple H would have fit that match a thousand times better than Punk because Triple H looks like the kind of guy who could beat Brock up with the right set up. Punk had stopped working out by then. It was embarrassing as fuck.

That second HHH/Taker WM match was shit. It was worse than their WMX-7 bout. They spent 15 fucking minutes laying around outside the ring because, hell, I don't know why. We all thought that Undertaker hurt himself and couldn't continue while HHH tried to stall. Then, after that borefest of building drama, they go back into the ring, hit their big moves, and Undertaker wins. 

Austin vs Dude Love is still the best example ever of the WWE Main Event Style, followed closely by Austin vs The Rock. Hell, if you're looking for a more recent example to carry that torch, then Cena vs The Rock I followed that style very well.