DVDVR Message Board

MGFanJay

Here's the thing. Daniel Bryan is little. As his name would indicate, The Big Show is big. Therefore, Show is the better choice to push and he should be allowed to use Bryan's schtick. If you don't get that, then I don't know what part of "you don't understand the business" is unclear. Good day, sirs.

Report: Update On Daniel Bryan’s Decline, Why WWE Is Pushing The Big ShowDaniel Bryan's WWE future might not be what many fans were hoping for, if PWInsider's latest reports are true. Mike Johnson of PWInsider is reporting that Daniel Bryan's run as a top star and main eventer might be coming to an end as he's taking some of the blame for the low buyrates during his short run in that position. The feeling in WWE is that Daniel Bryan simply isn't a "larger than life" character fans are ultimately looking for, and that his best position is in the mid-card having great matches. To the contrary, however, The Big Show's recent push is reportedly a result of WWE wanting bigger guys back in the spotlight. It's the reason he has moved into the main event program with Randy Orton and the McMahons and why guys like Luke Harper and Great Khali have been given more TV time as of late.

The feeling in WWE is that Daniel Bryan simply isn't a "larger than life" character fans are ultimately looking for, and that his best position is in the mid-card having great matches.

I know it's not a popular opinion to have on-line but this is pretty much exactly how I feel. If Rick Rude wasn't good enough to be on top, then I don't see it in Daniel Bryan. I don't care how many people in the crowd chant "Yes!"

I loved Mr. Perfect. He did fine in the midcard. Is it really some big catastrophe if Daniel Bryan isn't WWE Champion & carrying the banner of the company? Ricky Steamboat was never WWE Champion. Jake Roberts wasn't either. Different times, different eras, I know...but there's a lot more to it than just workrate.

I mean, compared to like The Miz? Yeah, Daniel Bryan would be a good fit.

Daniel Bryan is a helluva worker. No one when they were watching him back in Ring of Honor in 2005ish thought that one day he'd be in the main event of a WWE Summerslam, wrestling for the WWE title in a Hell in a Cell match that featured both Shawn Michaels & Triple H. That's insane. Now people are complaining that he's not the top dog in the biggest wrestling company in the world when he's like 5'7", 180lbs? C'mon, man. He's more famous that he has ever been, he's making bank & he marrying a Bella twin. He's doing pretty fucking OK.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's early November and WWE is already working on a line-up for this year's WrestleMania. It appears (and card subject to change of course) that it's probably not going to be HHH vs. Steve Austin for control of the company with Austin representing Vince McMahon, as had been the working idea months back. If that's the case, it's double-top-secret right now because nobody we've talked to seriously believes that's on the books. They already have working plans for most of the top names, HHH, John Cena, Ryback, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, Undertaker, etc. From what we can gather, while I don't have a full card it appears they want to do Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar if that works out (this could change if WWE comes to an agreement with Sting for the show); Ryback vs. Goldberg if that works out; Cody vs. Dustin; Randy Orton vs. CM Punk (Punk at one point was going to win the Rumble for the title shot, but there was talk of having the winner be whoever challenges for the World title instead), which means Punk may achieve his final career goal of closing out WrestleMania; and more. Although Shawn has denied it to everyone, there are people within WWE who believe wholeheartedly that Shawn vs. Bryan is happening on that show. - F4W Newsletter

The feeling in WWE is that Daniel Bryan simply isn't a "larger than life" character fans are ultimately looking for, and that his best position is in the mid-card having great matches.

I know it's not a popular opinion to have on-line but this is pretty much exactly how I feel. If Rick Rude wasn't good enough to be on top, then I don't see it in Daniel Bryan. I don't care how many people in the crowd chant "Yes!"

I loved Mr. Perfect. He did fine in the midcard. Is it really some big catastrophe if Daniel Bryan isn't WWE Champion & carrying the banner of the company? Ricky Steamboat was never WWE Champion. Jake Roberts wasn't either. Different times, different eras, I know...but there's a lot more to it than just workrate.

Daniel Bryan is a helluva worker. No one when they were watching him back in Ring of Honor in 2005ish thought that one day he'd be in the main event of a WWE Summerslam, wrestling for the WWE title in a Hell in a Cell match that featured both Shawn Michaels & Triple H. That's insane. Now people are complaining that he's not the top dog in the biggest wrestling company in the world when he's like 5'7", 180lbs? C'mon, man. He's more famous that he has ever been, he's making bank & he marrying a Bella twin. He's doing pretty fucking OK.

We'll never really know if Bryan could have been that guy because they blew it so horribly. He was getting crowd reactions that over the last 15 years are rivaled by only Steve Austin and Jeff Hardy (who could have been THE GUY if he wasn't such a fuck up) but they booked him to look like a complete dumbshit week after week. And week after week this thread was filled with "just wait and see where it goes" posts. Well where it's gone is he's back in the mid-card "where he belongs" and you're now being asked to spend $50 for a BIG SHOW VS. RANDY ORTON main event.

Maybe everything the WWE reportedly believes is right and Bryan isn't big enough to be a top guy, but maybe they screwed the pooch with every single thing they did after Summerslam and shot themselves in the foot before they ever got to find out what star potential Bryan really has.

• Like 4

I think the "smart" thing with Bryan right now is to keep him in the upper mid-card, out of the title scene, for a couple months, and see how the crowds continue to react.  If he remains massively over, then maybe consider trying again with him at the top.

I like Big Show.  A lot.  But the dude's been around since 1995.  He's been a main eventer since 1995.  If he was a guy that could be a serious top draw, I think that would have happened by now.

Plus, it looks like Show's struggling to walk to and from the ring for his appearances. He's a guy they're using to bide time with, who they go to after him at the Rumble and into Wrestlemania is the big question. Punk's such an unsympathetic babyface, I hope it's not him.

Titus has huge potential as well but he's already 36 (same age as Cena), so best case scenario is a run similar to Batista (who was 36 when he won the World Title).

He's not 36 in Wrestling years, its not like he's been wrestling for 10 to 12 years, he is a genetic freak

What do people see in Titus O'Neil? The only thing that speaks for him is is his size, apart from that he's terrible all around.

He was by far the worst guy on NXT Season 2 and that's saying a lot, since that season also had Eli Cottonwood and Lucky Cannon.

Bo Dallas is WWE's replacement for John Cena in 5 years, let's all just admit that.

Because pushing him as the top face of the company has worked so well in NXT. Although I admit that won't stop WWE from trying.

There's still some hope for Richie Steamboat, if he ever comes back from that injury. He's been gone for over a year I believe.

We'll never really know if Bryan could have been that guy because they blew it so horribly. He was getting crowd reactions that over the last 15 years are rivaled by only Steve Austin and Jeff Hardy (who could have been THE GUY if he wasn't such a fuck up) but they booked him to look like a complete dumbshit week after week. And week after week this thread was filled with "just wait and see where it goes" posts. Well where it's gone is he's back in the mid-card "where he belongs" and you're now being asked to spend $50 for a BIG SHOW VS. RANDY ORTON main event.

Maybe everything the WWE reportedly believes is right and Bryan isn't big enough to be a top guy, but maybe they screwed the pooch with every single thing they did after Summerslam and shot themselves in the foot before they ever got to find out what star potential Bryan really has.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting how all the folks who kept insisting that the Bryan storyline wasn't going off the rails and WWE wouldn't fuck up his push have been conspicuously silent lately.

I was a "see how it goes" guy I guess. You know why I'm not upset? Because I haven't been holding on to unrealistic expectations for months.

Is it so bad that Punk and Bryan take a few months to help the Wyatt family get over? It's not really a downgrade when they are both clearly tentpoles of WWE programming at this point. It would be like calling Cena's current position a downgrade because he is mucking around with Del Rio and the Real Americans.

• Like 1

Titus has undeniable charisma, a strong personality and a huge look. He just needs to at least be carried to a good match. Whether that can happen or not is the $60,000 question. I like the PTPs but their way behind the Usos in terms of what they've done. He's a long ways away. I'm not counting him out yet.

The Wyatts are the breakout stars of the post-NXT era. I don't even think it's close. Bray's arguably the best mic-worker in the company already. He delivers the character perfectly. The stuff is really subversive and religious and intelligent. Luke Harper is an awesome worker and, as his one promo showed, can probably talk a little bit. I don't get why everyone craps on Rowan -- he's light-years better than The Great Khali who is his best physical comparison and looks like a total lunatic wearing his mask. Bray's in such a great spot, too  -- he's the rare manager/wrestler and the dude was so friggin' good in the ring in NXT. He was even really good as Husky.You want to talk about someone to break the streak? There's your guy right there.