DVDVR Message Board

What are you reading in 2021

I was up for some true crime after watching Straight Time so I bought Street Players by Donald Goines, No Beast So Fierce by Eddie Bunker, and Savage Night by Jim Thompson. What do y'all think? (I'm new to all three, and yes I know the middle is autobiographical)

• 2 weeks later...

I also went on kind of a spree and bought books by Bakunin, Kropotkin, and Emma Goldman and a pair from Skipp & Spector. Anarchist theory and splatterpunk go together like chocolate and peanut butter I suppose. 

Eddie Bunker's No Beast So Fierce just got here today. Just reading the foreward got me laughing my ass off. The man convinced a bunch of psychiatrists he was crazy by claiming the Catholic church was trying to put a radio in his brain and that he was born in 1884 and warned Roosevelt about the attack on Pearl Harbor 🤣 One of his prison sentences ended up being undetermined but from a period between eighteen months and 14 years, so he never knew how long because they doled it out by the year. He served seven before they took their foot off his neck. Incredible. That would make me hang myself forthwith. And after THAT he spent time in Marion, where I spent 12 years outside the walls, and which is where John Gotti died and Manuel Noriega might still live. It's where they send the worst of the worst, needless to say. The whole time he wrote. RIP, Mr. Blue.

Also, I finished Street Players in round about two and a half hours. It was pretty cold but nowhere near as dark as his first one, Dopefiend, which I read a brief essay about later on. Bestiality, anyone? No? Yeah, me neither...

Edited by Curt McGirt

Now reading Velocities (Stories) by Kathe Koja, which is a short story collection. She has a very abstract writing style.

Before that, I read Orconomics by J Zachary Pike, which is very much D&D inspired, and is about (the evils of) capitalism in a heroic fantasy setting.

Jeez, the Skipp and Spector books got here and they are King-sized, one is 379 pages and the other is 420. So now I have the Jim Thompson, Mutual Aid by Kropotkin, a full Emma Goldman collection and both of those mothers to knock out. I don't think I've had a plate this full since I used to go hogwild at the library when I was a kid. (BTW, I haven't had a functioning library card in almost a decade due to where I live in the county. It's gonna be great moving back into town and able to freakin rent out books again)

(Okay maybe not King level. They aren't scratching 600-700)

Edited by Curt McGirt