DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

civilwar

113) CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

Director: Joe and Anthony Russo

213 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, BP, The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/89%) : METACRITIC (75/8.3)

There's part of a really good movie here: I like the opening stuff and the government stuff and, of course, the big massive superhero fight, but I think the last stretch of the movie is rather tedious.

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

first_reformed

112) FIRST REFORMED (2017)

Director: Paul Schrader

215 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Andy in Kansas - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/68%) : METACRITIC (85/7.5)

@Curt McGirt wrote

Great flick but this put me into quite a funk afterwards as it is super HEAVY. So, if you're just kinda barely rising above a 'the world is going to hell, everything is wrong, there's no hope' feeling, stay far away from this one.

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

interstellar

111) INTERSTELLAR (2014)

Director: Christopher Nolan

215 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (72%/86%) : METACRITIC (74/8.5)

I wonder what the diagram of 'People who love Interstellar vs. People who saw Interstellar in theaters' looks like. I loved it when I saw it in theater, so much that I ended up pre-ordering the Blu-Ray when it came out and I'm not sure I've watched it all the way through since. But, that theater view was so great: amazing special effects and that enormous, almost punishing soundtrack blasting through.

20 minutes ago, caley said:

There's part of a really good movie here: I like the opening stuff and the government stuff and, of course, the big massive superhero fight, but I think the last stretch of the movie is rather tedious.

Great flick but this put me into quite a funk afterwards as it is super HEAVY. So, if you're just kinda barely rising above a 'the world is going to hell, everything is wrong, there's no hope' feeling, stay far away from this one.

I wonder what the diagram of 'People who love Interstellar vs. People who saw Interstellar in theaters' looks like. I loved it when I saw it in theater, so much that I ended up pre-ordering the Blu-Ray when it came out and I'm not sure I've watched it all the way through since. But, that theater view was so great: amazing special effects and that enormous, almost punishing soundtrack blasting through.

I saw it in a theater and it can fuck right off.  Not sure if I posted this but when Big Brained Scientist Anne Hathaway cited "Love" as the scientific principle that was driving her choice of which planet to go to, I literally said "OH GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE" out loud in the theater.  The only time I have ever done that was at the twist of the last Twilight movie.  That's how bad it was.  Twilight-bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I also saw it in theatre and was not enamoured with it. I should mention that I have a degree in mathematics, have read scientific texts on general relativity and am pretty interested in astrophysics, so in theory this should have been my movie. But the story part was boring as fuck and not written very well (as mentioned above) and the science part was not much above Star Trek technobabble, much more fantasy than actual science.

Normally I wouldn't post "news" in here but since @jaedmc just told his story related to this movie

CJ Entertainment, Korea’s leading entertainment conglomerate has tapped award winning director, Deon Taylor (Black and Blue) to direct the gothic horror/thriller Grave Hill, the studio’s English-language remake of the popular Vietnamese horror film The Housemaid.

Released in 2016 to strong reviews from critics for its exploration of racial and social themes in a period/romance/horror setting, The Housemaid was written and directed by Derek Nguyen and produced by Timothy Linh Bui, which CJ Entertainment financed and produced. The remake, titled Grave Hill, will stay true to this concept, taking place in the American South during the Reconstruction Era.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I never realized how the official trailer (both the US and UK version) was all HERE IS THE ENTIRE MOVIE!

The marketing for 1917 is pretty bad for this too. While it doesn't give away the gimmick of the movie, it has all of the exciting bits. The climax (SPOILERS FOR 1917)

Spoiler

where he runs the length of the trench while everyone's going over the top

was in pretty much every TV spot. That it was still exciting when I saw it on the big screen is a testament to how well done it is, because I feel like I'd have enjoyed it way more had I not seen part of it two dozen times before I bought a ticket. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tangential (and related since it made the list) - I didn't really understand all the people who raced to watch Contagion the last few months

Because I'm a maniac, I re-watched Contagion the night when the NBA shut down, Tom Hanks announced he had it, and Trump gave his oval office speech all within the span of like an hour. It was definitely an "I'm not going to get my mind off of this so I might as well watch a decent movie about something similar" choice. 

Quick update - I hadn't been paying attention to the numbers till this afternoon.

No more today as I will catch up on updating the master list etc

I will do 10 tomorrow to get us to the Top 100.

I am gonna try really hard then to make sure we finish by next Friday

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, caley said:

Civil War does get bogged down in itself a bit towards the end, as it tries to redo Winter Solider but not as well. It's a better Avenger film than most films titled Avengers, but a bit of a let down as a Captain America movie from the previous one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

only_lovers_left_alive

114) ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE (2013)

Director: Jim Jarmusch

208 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, EVA, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/75%) : METACRITIC (79/7.5)

From the 2015 Halloween Havoc

Ugh, this is another one I've been meaning to watch (Vudu has it on sale to rent ALL THE TIME and I just haven't), considering it's got two of my favorite people to watch starring in it. Maybe I'll get to it by Halloween.

109) HAIL, CAESAR! (2016)

Director: Joel & Ethan Coen

219 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#39) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Execproducer - HONORABLE MENTION: Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/44%) : METACRITIC (72/6.0)