DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I like the Marlins are already trying to blame it on being in Atlanta

ESPN.com was doing that yesterday too. It’s like yeah let’s blame Atlanta when the outbreak in Florida is even worse. Idiots.

• Like 1

Bastards will leap at any excuse to pile on the Braves. However, GOD'S OWN TEAM will prevail, see you haters in the WS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My library won't touch shit you return for 72 hours but I am sure the Philly away clubhouse that had at least 14 positive people in it will be totally fine in less than 24 hours

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

How many cancelled games before they decide to just scrap the entire thing? All of them?

Based on the way some of the local Marlins reporters are talking - the season is already in serious jeopardy.

The tipping point clearly will be if Philly players start testing positive since MLB allowed yesterday's game to take place AFTER already knowing their were positive test on the Marlins side.

• Like 2

The NY Times' The Daily podcast on Friday did a very interesting show on the restart of baseball, with interviews with Manfred and Selig(!).  They even address the Soto situation. 

The specter of 1994 looms extremely large on everything Manfred does. 

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1kYWlseQ/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL2ZzLUtYVHlKci1wcnNmTGItcVBSeTY3UnZsc1EwNVA4ZEFwWGlISTMyVjA?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjesfDY3e3qAhVrU98KHUrIABkQieUEegQIAhAE&ep=6

Well worth the listen, even 3 days later. 

Here is the Time recap (assuming you have free stories left)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/25/sports/rob-manfred-mlb-season.html

Manfred knew there was one person who understood the perils of canceling a season: Selig. Manfred had been Selig’s top deputy until Selig retired as commissioner after the 2014 season. They had been very close, but had grown more distant as Manfred settled in as commissioner. Selig wanted to avoid looking as if he was still meddling; Manfred wanted to chart his own course.

But in June the two began speaking regularly again. Manfred said he looked to his old boss for guidance.

“I’m the only other guy on the face of the Earth who understands exactly what the pressure is and what the situation is,” Selig said.

During a phone call in June, Selig emphasized to Manfred that he had to narrow his focus to a singular idea: Finding a way to play.

“If you just keep thinking about that one phrase, you’re going to make really good decisions,” Selig said he told him.

Manfred acknowledged to Selig that there was one “sort of negative thought in my mind that I’m trying to avoid.”

“What do you mean by that?” Selig asked.

Manfred responded: “Look, I remember what happened to you in September of 1994,” referring to when Selig canceled that year’s World Series, the only time in M.L.B. history it has not been played.

Selig recalled the anguish he had felt after making that announcement. When Selig returned home that day, he went upstairs to his den, closed his eyes and recreated every World Series he could remember — starting with 1945 — in his head, as he mourned the season.

“I just sat there very quietly in deep thought, and I was heartsick,” he said. “It was one of the low moments of my career and in my life.”

Manfred was acutely aware that he could face a similar fate.

“He got hung with this,” Manfred said of Selig. “He canceled the World Series. That’s so unfair. You know, I mean, it’s really completely unfair. But I think that unfairness teaches you a lesson. And the lesson is our fans don’t ever want us to give up on the idea that we’re going to play.”

I can't believe "really wanting to play baseball" didn't turn out to be the cure for the Coronavirus. 

It's like the virus doesn't even know how much money the owners are losing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Again - it is really fucking amazing how quickly Rob Manfred became a worse commissioner than Bud Selig... and that is saying a lot

Manfred was a worse commissioner than Selig on probably day 1 of the job. Everything Manfred has done or said since then just makes me think the guy is dumb as fuck.

I've said it multiple times, but Manfred is Homer in the episode where he designs the bubble car.

• Like 4

Passan tweets that the updated tally is 11 of 33 players who’ve been traveling with the club (i.e. the 30-man roster and three-man taxi squad) and a pair of coaches have tested positive. Heyman hears that it’s nine players from the 30-man roster and five “others” (coaches, staff, taxi squad members etc.). Regardless, the Marlins are dealing with 13 to 14 positive cases. Mish adds that some of the team’s more notable players are among the positive group.

Mish noted that there isn't consent from the players yet to release names hence the lack of specifics

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I like the Marlins are already trying to blame it on being in America

FTFY

This is all so stupid, just fucking cancel it, no one really cares. Seems like most people are just paying attention out of morbid curiosity on how many people are going to get infected, rather than an actual interest in the games.

It's so easy for small outbreaks to become large, even with care. Manitoba went from 1 active case a week and a half ago to 68 as of today, after 13 days of no new infections.

Already seeing people on Twitter say that this is a good thing, because athletes are in the best position to recover and this will help general immunity...even though there is yet to be any strong proof that immunity is a thing with Covid and the fucking coaches, locker room attendants, team staff, etc. are certainly not "in the best position" to get it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Manfred was a worse commissioner than Selig on probably day 1 of the job. Everything Manfred has done or said since then just makes me think the guy is dumb as fuck.

I've said it multiple times, but Manfred is Homer in the episode where he designs the bubble car.

Manfred is the only commissioner who seems to actively dislike the sport he is in charge of. Even Bettman, with all his bad decisions, is apparently fun to watch a game with because he legit gets into them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elizium said:

Already seeing people on Twitter say that this is a good thing, because athletes are in the best position to recover and this will help general immunity...even though there is yet to be any strong proof that immunity is a thing with Covid and the fucking coaches, locker room attendants, team staff, etc. are certainly not "in the best position" to get it.

Putting aside the dumb as fuck immunity argument, which basically suggests that those people aren't keeping up with the news, Eduardo Rodriguez is dealing with myocarditis as a result of COVID. There are complications from this that can fuck with people for a good while. "But it's just a flu." 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, elizium said:

Manfred is the only commissioner who seems to actively dislike the sport he is in charge of. Even Bettman, with all his bad decisions, is apparently fun to watch a game with because he legit gets into them.

I don't think Manfred dislikes the sport of baseball. I just think his ideas for improving baseball are completely fucking dumb. There's plenty of things that could be done to improve the sport that both fans and players are in agreement on, and he's come through on maybe like 3 or 4 of those things. And they were all obvious improvements to begin with, like getting rid of the ASG determining WS home field advantage, or using replay in certain situations.

Everything else seems to be born out of shit he probably thought up while watching Rock n Jock Baseball on MTV in the 90s.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, elizium said:

Fucking what?

For the sake of clarity - it is all well and good that the Marlins are all "well we decided to play". They had to.

As pointed out at a lot of places - only Rob Manfred can cancel games (or to use the language in the MLB-MLBPA agreement "has final say".)

So either Manfred made the call that it was still safe to play OR he (Manfred) was purposeful left in the dark about how many positive tests there were

Basically I look at it like this whole situation with AJ Styles hating Paul Heyman now - the Marlins might have made the decision (Heyman) but Manfred (Vince) signed off on it. (Make whoever you want to be AJ in this scenario)

• Like 1