DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD

Isn't Double J a producer now as well? I imagine they might have MVP lined up for a producer role. In fact, I'm shocked MVP is having another match after the Rey match. 

I believe TJ Wilson (Tyson Kidd) and Jason Jordan are producers as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Of all the writers to fire you fire the Otis and Mandy writer? Man, that was the best written thing on a SD show that has otherwise been absolute hot garbage.

And not a great look to release one of the few women in that room.  I remember watching someone's shoot and they said there's not many women writers and that's why the writing for the women often sucks.. well, all the writing sucks but you get the point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And not a great look to release one of the few women in that room.  I remember watching someone's shoot and they said there's not many women writers and that's why the writing for the women often sucks.. well, all the writing sucks but you get the point. 

Most of these are layoffs for now.  A big shoe regarding the TV slots is going to drop soon.  If the shows get dumped or reduced the necessity for a gang of writers male or female are hardly required then the layoffs will be something else.  TV stations need content but ad sales at previous rates will be tough in the immediate time.  A lot of negotiating going on right now to lighten financial deals

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Talking about releases due to drugs reminds me of Big Vis getting dumped after Michaels caught him doing a big rail of coke off the roof of a limo and ratted him out to Vince. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. 

Stuff like that was worse than today.  You have 99% of the room altering their senses doing something and you turf certain guys for it and not others thats being douchey

42 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's ok. Dana Warrior is still there I think.

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Talking about releases due to drugs reminds me of Big Vis getting dumped after Michaels caught him doing a big rail of coke off the roof of a limo and ratted him out to Vince. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. 

Wasn't it Michaels that was doing the coke anyway, not Mabel? I thought the story always went, that Michaels said it was Mabel, so he could stay out of trouble.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

31 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I don't think most will because things will probably work better.  Don't know when Vince got the if 5 is good 20 must be better mentality behind the scenes.  

Vince is a cokehead. All addicts have that mentality. I can get a gram of coke? I'll take an 8-ball instead.

• Like 2

Stay with me for a moment because I think this will make sense. I bought tickets thru Ticketmaster to see Jason Isbell, the Motley Crue tour, the Rolling Stones and  Elton John this spring and summer. Obviously, none of this is happening. However, Ticketmaster has a policy now that you only get refunds if a show gets cancelled. So, a lot of these shows are postponed or rescheduled and my money is tied up. My buddy I was supposed to attend these shows with has repeatedly told me how this doesn't make sense, it's not fair, it's not logical etc. He really has just beaten the dead horse. "Dude, people need their money if it's rescheduled. What if they can't go? It's messed up to keep that money tied up."

And I have to point that while I get his points, the fact is that Ticketmaster/the artists aren't going to just give up that money if they can avoid it because they are assholes and, to be slightly more kind, I imagine there's a domino effect in place.

It' s not about what is logical, it's about what is. To wit, I have about $1,000 tied up on shows that will happen at some indeterminate moment in the future, hopefully or that will eventually refund me* 

Every time there is some economic disaster a lot of people get naive about what should be and not what is. And very quickly what was obviously going to happen ends up happening. 

Here's where it gets relevant, I think. 

1) People say "why would USA/Fox fuck with WWE if they can't produce live TV? They need WWE." That's putting an awful lot of optimism onto a TV network to not do an opt out that can save them money on a renegotiation or extricate themselves from what is now a financially undesirable contract. McMahon would be negligent to trust either network to do this. These networks have goals they need to hit and, to be honest, those insane wrestling contracts would be among the first I'd cut if the ship was sinking. 

2) People say "the WWE has plenty of money on reserve to ride out a shutdown and still pay everyone." Very rarely in the history of any business do companies just "ride things out" and burn through reserves, even if they can afford it. I know wonderful people who own small businesses who really don't want to kill people but are also telling me the clock is ticking so someone needs to figure some shit out that both gets revenue coming in while not killing  people. Why would anyone expect a publicly traded company to NOT cut employees when revenue starts getting cut. It's what happens basically 99.9 percent of the time.** NJPW received rightful praise for shutting down and not doing empty arena shows but even they and the rest of the puro scene petitioned today to be allowed to run. Did NJPW management wake up today and decide that it was time to kill some 3rd generation guys? No, but I imagine no revenue would also probably cost a lot of people their jobs. This is all why not having an economy is usually bad. 

To sum up point 2, of course WWE was gonna fire people. Why is anyone surprised? This is what companies do. It's not about what they should do, it's about what is. 

Note - none of this is a defense of anything. It's all shitty and scummy but it is what this was always going to be. WWE is gonna reduce their overhead due to lack of revenue. I am okay with condemning capitalism but that's what it is.  And, has anyone extrapolated what would happen if USA and/or Fox cancelled their contracts due to lack of live programming? I just find it quaint when journalists or pundits extrapolate ideas based on what they think should be based on what actually is or could be. 

*Isbell already rescheduled so I'm boned on that. I was able to get a pending refund on the Stones. Motley Crue and Elton STILL haven't cancelled their tours. Ticketmaster is possibly more corrupt than WWE.

** I understand that everyone will have some example of some business run by Santa Clause who is still paying their employees through this and baking them cookies and giving them hummers on Friday but obviously the vast majority of businesses are all looking at how to cut costs. It's why there's a 50% unemployment projection if strict quarantine measures are still in place in four months. 

So yeah, shitty day but just kind of amused by the "how could they" takes. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 3

We all know how things work IRL, but how things work and how things should work, at least in the opinion of some people, are entirely separate.

This will sound harsh, but I don't feel all that sorry for the locker room. If they wanted more protection financially in light of this situation (or situations like it in general, more accurately), they should have unionized. If it's about getting cut from what they see as their dream workplace, well, no amount of money will help that, and those guys, I'll metaphorically pour one out for because I'm not wasting good malt liquor on this shit. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

12 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Stay with me for a moment because I think this will make sense. I bought tickets thru Ticketmaster to see Jason Isbell, the Motley Crue tour, the Rolling Stones and  Elton John this spring and summer. Obviously, none of this is happening. However, Ticketmaster has a policy now that you only get refunds if a show gets cancelled.

I don't believe this is true.  Maybe it is under normal circumstances but I had tickets for a Monday Night RAW.  It's been rescheduled, however, I clicked on refund and the quote was something along the lines of "if your event has been impacted by Covid-19"  

They said it'd be about 30 days to process the refund. 

I don’t know who’s surprised. But people are within their rights to drag those who are being scummy or be outraged, even if the conduct in question is within the usual/acceptable parameters of scumminess. I don’t think anyone providing “capitalism is a rape palace” takes is caught off guard by any of this. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hagan said:

TicketMaster is in a tough situation.  Their parent company Live Nation took on so much long term debt refunding mass cancellations will torpedo them.  Some events will be refunded but they are going to drag out the postponement reschedules as long as they can as it is the concert business is going to be totally different when people feel safe to go to shows again

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Adam Pearce. Corino. Scott Taylor down in NXT.

Oh God, I hope none of the fired workers are dumb enough to ask Corino for advice:

"Yeah, so first thing you want to do is find a money mark and start your own indy promotion.

You're gonna wanna run it out of Braintree, MA and book yourself as lead heel, with Jack Victory and C.W. Anderson as your flunkies.

After that indy fails, you're gonna find another money mark and do the exact same thing all over again.

And if all that fails, than just steal your ex-girlfriend's credit cards and charge everything to her until the cops catch you."