DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD

Mike and Maria would be perfect for ROH because they would likely agree to a reasonable deal the company could afford and there would be tons of storylines available because of their history with the promotion. 

• Like 1

One thing I haven't seen anybody talk about is the psychological impact all these cuts are having on indy guys who were hoping that they'd get signed by one of the big companies in the near future.

I can't remember her name off the top of my head, but about a month ago some female indy worker, who did a few shots for RoH years ago, had a meltdown on social media on how she was 36 and had never gotten a whiff from NXT or IMPACT or a full-time offer from RoH.  

For her and a bunch of indy workers, it has to be hitting them that they won't be getting tryout offers anytime soon, especially with all these guys about to flood the indy scene and drive down their pay.

• Like 3

Lio Rush would be great if he was a humble wrestler, but he’s too much of a dick behind the scenes to be a face, and too small as well as athletic to be a heel. Him playing heel with his style would be like when Rey was a heel. It just doesn’t work. If he had a contemporary then maybe. If he didn’t have those problems I would pick him up. Hell really if I was AEW I would still pick him up. Try out the headache, and see if you can take it. But as soon as it becomes a problem then dump it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I forgot about Mike and Maria yeah ROH would be great for them. Shit Kurt Could be ROH Matchmaker if he wanted to. 

@LoneWolf&Subs Rush in MLW against guys like Low-Ki and Aries would be tight he’s fucking crazy in the ring and would tear it up with either if those two. I do think Rush’s ceiling is Indies with TV like Impact and MLW. He didn’t like his time in ROH so I doubt he’d return there.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I won't try to cut and paste Web Conn's entire post, but to wit:

Gallows & Anderson: As has been noted elsewhere, they resigned with WWE because they didn't want to travel to Japan anymore.  Bullet Club has also changed dramatically since they left and is now primarily the Tongans and Jay White, not much room for Doc & Gallows.

Eric Young is "just a guy."

Ryder & Hawkins have been made to look like such geeks, I can't even picture the AEW hardcores getting all excited over them.

NWA is paying peanuts to their current crew, and Dave Lagana has said on WOR that if they can't get an eventual TV deal, Billy Corrigan intends to simply cancel the show.  I can't imagine a crew of jobber geeks like No Way Jose, Rockstar Spud, the Colons, English, Slater, etc. all boosting NWA's viewing numbers.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

Kurt Angle is basically crippled, and has said that he is in near constant pain from all the injuries he's suffered and really can't work anymore.

9 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Lio is entitled to be a bit of a shit - he's really, really good.

yeah but we really don’t know how much of a shit he was/is. like we didn’t realize how bad Sid was until we found out a lot of the stories about him turned out to be true. I haven’t heard why he’s so disliked backstage(Lio). The only thing that leaked was him doing it himself with his poor choice of tweets towards Emma.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

Ryder & Hawkins have been made to look like such geeks, I can't even picture the AEW hardcores getting all excited over them.

Can't speak for Hawkins but once the AEW Hardcores realize that Ryder is Cody's boy, they'll accept him with open arms so matter how much of a "geek" WWE portrayed him as.

4 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Is she a nepotism hire as well? Is she hella tight homies with Brandi? If she is one of the "give our boys a contract" signings, this is the first I am hearing of it.

I think what I was getting at was that, as a wrestler, is pretty useless at this point, and the money paid to her could have probably went to someone younger and less injured.  I know she has name value but IMO it's not worth giving her a full-time contract.

BTW, the fantasy booker in me really wants to see AEW try to do a PPV with Moxley/EC3 and draw a decent number with them, especially given how they were treated in Mox's farewell WWE program.

Edited by notoriusvig
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

like we didn’t realize how bad Sid was until we found out a lot of the stories about him turned out to be true. 

I wouldn't compare anyone to Sid. I saw a clip where Sid tells a story about how Dean Malenko wanted to do something in the ring with him and he basically told Malenko that no fuck that, what you're going to do is just take a powerbomb and that's it. Then, Sid laughs with the interviewer (I believe Hannibal) about how Malenko is a shitty worker.

That's Sid in a nutshell.

The Lio Rush thing IMO is something that got blown totally out of proportion and part of the reason why I don't really have any desire to watch WWE. He has one fuckup and fucking Kevin Owens is like "dude, you're not going make it in the locker room" like it's goddamn 1995 and we've got cliques and shit. God forbid no one want to be a part of the toxic ass WWE boys club where a bunch of spineless shits who will never ever unionize  go out there and read lines some failed TV writer gave em. 

If that's the only thing we know about, it's fair to say we should not impugn him for shit we don't know about. There is a bunch of other people in WWE who probably should be maligned for dumb shit that isn't on Twitter.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The thing with Lio isn’t so much about Lio himself but about the inexhaustible patience they’ve had historically for certain guys and their behaviors/baggage, and how it’s weird none of them looked like Lio in a few different ways. 

• Like 3

I think Brian Myers indie run from 14-16 I think has him in good graces with the AEW hardcore. Myers would get over with the fans almost as a DDP “peoples champ” type. DDP was a middle age biker in front of an audience of middle aged bikers, AEW is an audience of wrestling super fans.

Brian Myers is a super fan, he’s a big ECW mark, he has talked about going to Long Island ROH shows in 05-06. I think he’d be over with the AEW audience especially back East in the Tristate area. I don’t think he’s gonna be World Champ but he’s a good wrestler and he can get shit over because he’s entertaining.

48 minutes ago, Peck said:

Can't speak for Hawkins but once the AEW Hardcores realize that Ryder is Cody's boy, they'll accept him with open arms so matter how much of a "geek" WWE portrayed him as.

A large percentage of their audience would probably be jealous of his toy collection. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JonnyLaw said:

Aiden English is the guy I’m most excited to see more from.

I too am pretty interested to see what he does. Selfishly, I just want he and Rusev to hang out and whatever unfolds, then so be it. They were so much fun together.

But realistically, what is he? Still an in-ring guy? Commentator? Whatever the deal is, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

A large percentage of their audience would probably be jealous of his toy collection. 

THIS is a great indy heel gimmick no one has ever done. A variation on the "I am better than you (the opponent & audience) because I have more money than you" but "I am better because I have more dolls than all of you" - the Biggest Nerd Heel! He could bring in rare collectibles and not let people touch it, the babyface could de-mintify the packaging to get Ryder angry, skits where he sells counterfeits to orphans... Book it!

- dolls,

RAF

• Like 3

Sucks to lose Deonna and Sarah. I always dug the Riott Squad but it’s obvious that Sarah had been treading water since their split and creative wasn’t sure what to do with her. I’m more surprised about Deonna as she just seemed to be settling into things with a cool look and semblance of a persona. Luckily they’re both young and talented and should find a new home once we get back to some sort of normalcy. 

If there's going to be a psychological impact on indy wrestlers I imagine it was losing out on all their bookings wrestlemania weekend. No way to recoup any of those lost paydays, not anytime soon at least. and with how wrestlemania weekend makes up a nice chunk of their bookings in terms of exposure and more opportunities for future bookings, according to different tweets recently I think, I would guess that plays a bigger worry than a bunch of releases all at once. 

Not to mention theres no guarantee that out of everyone released they'd be looking to get hired elsewhere much less stay in the biz. Admittedly that's only an uneducated guess on my part but with most indies closed for now I can almost picture a handful of folks who just hang up the boots and call it a day. All blind guesswork on my part. 

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Mike and Maria would be perfect for ROH because they would likely agree to a reasonable deal the company could afford and there would be tons of storylines available because of their history with the promotion. 

A returning Mike Bennett would make for a good mystery partner for Matt Taven against Vincent & Bateman. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3