DVDVR Message Board

Announcing the BEST OF THE 2010s POLL~!

RIPPA

Are we going to be doing pimping threads? Or just within this thread?  I’m okay with either, just didn’t want to start recommending stuff in the wrong thread!

i have a working Top 150 already with 30 on my to-watch list (Including one that probably doesn’t count and I won’t be able to find anyways).

• Like 1

I am going to do pimping threads

Didnt realize everyone was raring to go ?

I gotta couple things to do but I will get some created this afternoon 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

Are we going to tack on an honorable mention list like we did for the all-time poll?

I can if folks want them

I included them in the Greatest of All Time just because of the scope of the project.

At the moment, I am wondering if I can get to 100 without including crap

Yay! I tend to miss out on these polls and see them after the fact. So this will be a good project for me between bashing my head against a wall and drinking.

Im the type of nerd that has fun making lists. I have an on going Top 200 All Time List that I’ve been working on. With my friends I do each year, but the bit is I’m never ready to say I’m finished. Still perfecting 2010.

Like @Chaos and @Control I have a pretty set top 5. Anything could happen if I find a new winner though.

1. Turin Horse (Tarr, 2011)

2. Silence (Scorsese, 2016)

3. A Separation (Farhadi, 2011) 

4. Tree of Life (Malick, 2011)

5. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Plast Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010)

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OctopusCinema said:

So this will be a good project for me between bashing my head against a wall and drinking.

Reveal hidden contents

1. Turin Horse (Tarr, 2011)

2. Silence (Scorsese, 2016)

3. A Separation (Farhadi, 2011) 

4. Tree of Life (Malick, 2011)

5. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Plast Lives (Weerasethakul, 2010)

Bash your head against the wall after the drinking, it'll hurt less. I like that no ones top five looks anything like mine.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Thanks 1

So do we post thoughts on movies and how to rank here or in the Pimp threads? Does posting there make me a pimp? 

2 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Bash your head against the wall after the drinking, it'll hurt less. 

I’ve been doing this wrong for years!

This thread is more the general make folks aware that the project is happening and I will use it for updates and reminders.

The pimping threads are there for you to encourage folks to watch things - especially if it is something that might not be as known

Like for example - in the Top 5 you posted, I have never heard of Turin Horse or Uncle Boonmee so those would be things that if someone was pimping I might go "Oh I wanna watch that"

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This thread is more the general make folks aware that the project is happening and I will use it for updates and reminders.

The pimping threads are there for you to encourage folks to watch things - especially if it is something that might not be as known

Like for example - in the Top 5 you posted, I have never heard of Turin Horse or Uncle Boonmee so those would be things that if someone was pimping I might go "Oh I wanna watch that"

Are we considering OJ: Made in America a film for this thing? I guess we could say the same thing for Carlos since that was both a 2ish hour film and a 4 hour miniseries. 

OJ Made in America definitely is a movie for this. (I still love the Academy changed its rules AFTER it won)

Carlos is a mini-series as defined by IMDB

Also OJ had a theatrical run as where as far as I can tell Carlos was only shown in full one time at Cannes

Again - much like that Twin Peaks thing, I am not gonna argue too much if someone includes it (Carlos) but there is a strong chance it wouldn't end up in the final results

• Like 1

Actually gonna offer a correction on Carlos

It can count as a movie as I discovered it did get a limited theatrical release and has box office numbers

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Control said:

I was thinking we all get one veto just to make things interesting.

If I had that for the greatest of all time poll, I know which movie @jaedmc would have used it on

• 2 months later...

Okay - so as of now, I am not returning to the office until August so I pushing the deadline to August 1 for ballots (it will move around some still)

But I will actually start calling for ballots in July

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2020 at 12:31 PM, RIPPA said:

I really should institute a "no more than 3 Marvel movies" rule

So is this rule in effect? I made a rough draft (had 50 but made it to 100) and I’m at about 10 or so Marvels. I can kill off a few though.

On 6/10/2020 at 6:31 AM, RIPPA said:

Okay - so as of now, I am not returning to the office until August so I pushing the deadline to August 1 for ballots (it will move around some still)

But I will actually start calling for ballots in July

Deadline still August 1st or did it get moved back? If so I’ll probably ship out my Ballot soon

———

One thing I didn’t think to ask before: only features or are shorts included? 

If it’s 2009 in IMDB then it’s eligible

I will start accepting Aug 1 but who knows when I will close things

Vote for however many Marvel movies you want - just understand your ballot will be terrible if you vote for all of them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1