DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think she was just wounded? I mean it was making noises. 

Just remembered this thought I had right at the end 

Spoiler

How Guillermo ended up getting their semen constantly was left a total mystery. Maybe it's even better that way hahaha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

What We Do in the Shadows Season 2 starts next Thursday in the UK, BBC 2 at 10pm. I was pleasantly surprised by how Season 1 turned out having to follow the movie of the same name and a spinoff from it. Season 1 was so funny. I'll watch that and Harley Quinn follows at 10:30pm on E4.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Cursed Films on Shudder has just pretty much been binged over here (I'm cutting back to Poltergeist. Watch them in order instead) and it's really good, though as expected it gets heavy at the end. I had no idea Michael Berryman was part of The Crow and he not only brings the hammer down on the production but has some really beautiful words in general. What a wonderful man. They explain the entire details of the shooting which actually was good to see from a technical POV; it makes total sense. 

Now the Twilight Zone ep at the very end is where I advise caution. They show the footage of the helicopter crash. You don't see anything, but at the same time you see everything, if that makes any sense. And it is upsetting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I had no idea Michael Berryman was part of The Crow and he not only brings the hammer down on the production but has some really beautiful words in general. 

Berryman played The Skull Cowboy.  In the graphic novel, the Skull Cowboy is a specter that guides the souls of the dead that are seeking vengeance.  

Contrary to popular belief, the Skull Cowboy scenes weren't cut from the movie due to time constraints.  A couple of the pivotal dialogue scenes between Eric & The Cowboy were never filmed before Brandon Lee's death, so the Cowboy was cut out of the movie entirely for sake of continuity and there were some minor re-writes and re-shoots done to give the crow the role Eric's guide.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Yeah, they detail the character in the episode (I've still yet to read the graphic novel so didn't know about it). The makeup is so extensive as to make Michael unrecognizable, which is quite an accomplishment for somebody who looks like him. It would have been really cool to see him in the film. 

On 6/4/2020 at 2:07 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Official trailer for Season 4 of F is for Family (RED BAND - Language, Drug Use, & Animated Nudity)

Premieres next Friday. 

I loved last season and think that it was their best. If this season is as half as good as that one was then it will be excellent.

I just started the first season of Ramy. This show is fantastic. I grew up not too far from Jersey City and Paterson, which are home to a lot of North Jersey’s Muslim communities. I think I maybe worked with one or two people who were Muslim during summer jobs in college but there was no crossover at all between “regular Americans” (re: white people) and people from the Middle East. I imagine it is like that everywhere. 

The show is such an awesome view into what at least the Egyptian-American and Islamic-American communities are like. 

Oddly, I find it relatable. Ramy is going through a spiritual crisis and I have gone through a few of those. I was going through a tough time in my early 20s with a lot of stuff and really dug into being Catholic. Then I went through a few other periods when I went through other stuff. Eventually, I became and Episcopalian when I felt another “Why am I here and how do my beliefs line up with my faith?” debate. 

But, yes, this is just a really great show that is somehow really specific and universal. A+ and I heard Season 2 is even better.

• Like 1

Billions sure is ramping up just how creepy Axe is. Ultimately that's probably the best direction to go in. Just establish this guy as the clear villain and Chuck as a flawed hero. Also, less Taylar please. I think you can easily chart my waning interest in Billions by how much Taylar is featured.

Coincidentally I've recently rewatched both Seven and The Usual Suspects with them being ran all the time so I don't think it'll be an issue. It's not like I'm a wrestling fan or anything and am used to seeing scumbags perform on a regular basis. 

His character also appears to be batshit crazy from the episode airing right now so that's fun.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently Wiseguy is airing on the ZLiving channel. Should I be DVRing it? It's got quite a rep.

think I can handle watching Kevin Spacey... maybe. 

First two seasons are very good-great.  The back half of season one gets most of the attention thanks to Kevin Spacey and Joan Severance chewing scenery, but i really liked the first half of the season which was a fairly straightforward "infiltrate the Mafia" storyline.

Season 2 had a so-so white supremacist storyline, but followed it up with two much better story arcs.  The guest cast was great.  The garment trade arc featured Ron Silver, Jerry Lewis, Stanley Tucci, and Anthony Denison (Crime Story).  The third arc of the season is the Dead Dog Records arc.  Tim Curry was the villain.  The writers really ran with the record angle.  Supposedly, some of the rockers who guested in the arc told the writers unsavory stories from their careers and the writers used some of that.  Glenn Frey was surprisingly good here.

The show was running out of steam by season 3.  The first arc had good guest stars, but the season is just sorta there.  Some of the plots were wacky.  The first arc had Vinnie unexpectedly becoming head of a local mafia family through fairly unlikely happenings.  Then he foiled a plot to devalue the yen, but it was really a plot to discredit him (?).  Then he wound up working as a sheriff in Washington state and met the Green River Killer.  Then he ends up with $42 million in cash so he rents a room in a flophouse and takes a job dumping toxic waste, because that's totally what you do when you have $42 million.

That's a lot for one season.  Season 3 is mostly skippable except for Robert Davi as the big bad of the first arc of the season.

Ken Wahl left the show after season 3.  There was a fourth season with Steven Bauer in the lead.  Avoid this like the plague.

But, yeah, watch/dvr the first two seasons.  They're a lot of fun.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

It looks like I've noticed it right at the beginning of the Spacey arc and there are at least seven episodes listed, all to record, during the next week so I think I'm in a good spot. Was kind of surprised to read about Jerry Lewis having a role in this. Also, it sucks to hear that Bauer got the shaft when Wahl walked for it getting too ridiculous, he's still a favorite of mine and deserved better. 

I wonder how close their Green River Killer looked to Gary Ridgway...

Edited by Curt McGirt