DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019-20: PERIOD 2

Dolfan in NYC

Btw, I just want to say that I was spot on with my Sharks rule the Pacific prediction. I can start a Patreon if you want to follow my sagely advice on hockey matters.

Pacific division is a really weird shit show. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Alex Ovechkin has a very real chance of passing Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Mark Messier for career goals in the same week. I feel like the hockey press didn't give this nearly the buildup that it deserved because, I mean, it's just a completely wild thing to be able to type with a straight face.

• Like 2

Is it possible for a goalie to play great and still give up 5 goals?  if so, Jimmy Howard did that yesterday against Colorado.  Howard hasn't won a game since October.  During that times, he's been mostly terrible because he didn't want to stand out from the rest of his teammates, who also have been awful defensively.  The last 3 games, however, he's been great.  Lost 2-1 in OT to Pitt to start it off.  Then lost 6-3 to Colorado yesterday.  One great save after another.  

It is truly remarkable how bad this Detroit team is.  Defensively, they are CONSTANTLY out of position.  They are so bad fundamentally, it's actually shocking.  

But I still watch because I'm a glutton for punishment and I know brighter days are ahead and I also know I was spoiled as a fan for 3 decades.  Jeff Blashill will get canned after the year (I suspect Gerard Gallant will be making a return to Detroit).  Some of the dead weight veterans will get bought out.  Some young guys will get brought up.  And so on.  Lord knows, it's gotta get better than 12-34-4.  

15 hours ago, sabremike said:

Jesus fucking Christ just make it stop.

HAHAHAHAHA, that's hilarious.  And incredibly sad and disrespectful.  Good grief.  

• Like 1

ESPN article talking to Xavier Woods about his time at All Star Weekend

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28582928/wwe-star-xavier-woods-surreal-nhl-all-star-experience-bar-arcades-wrestling-hockey-crossover

When an Achilles tendon injury last October put WWE star Xavier Woods out of action, he had one request about his downtime.

"I told WWE when I got hurt that I'd do anything hockey. Please dear lord, help me go to hockey stuff," he said.

Three weeks ago, the WWE came to Woods with a proposal: As a part of NHL All-Star Weekend in St. Louis, EA Sports was holding its "Chel Gaming Challenge," where players and celebrities and pro gamers battled on NHL 20. Woods is a gamer, with close to 43,000 followers on Twitch.

"I said, 'Absolutely. I've been playing! I'll do well!'" said Woods, whose real name is Austin Watson -- not to be confused with the Nashville Predators forward of the same name.

The Sabres forced WGR to remove the tweet they sent out linking the Duane rant, because apparently this sad and stupid organization has never heard of The Streisand Effect.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Internet RUMBLINGS are that Seattle's expansion team will be called the Seattle Kraken.

So far the team is denying it, and there is still a vocal group around here that wants a more "Pacific Northwest" feel to it. Which is stupid because if you want a PNW name these would be your choices:

Seattle Hipsters

Seattle Vapers

Seattle Twitter Warriors

Seattle Meth-heads

Seattle Homeless

Seattle Micro Brewery Owners

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Internet RUMBLINGS are that Seattle's expansion team will be called the Seattle Kraken.

"Rum Night" poised to become the most ill-advised promotional stunt in sports history

20 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

seriously though reviving "Pilots" or "Rainiers" in a nod to the city's sports history (albeit from a different sport) would be pretty cool

Too bad Mets is already taken by that shithouse baseball team. It would be perfect for the same reason. They better at least bring back the jerseys as an alternate.

MniBksU.jpg

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1