DVDVR Message Board

Black Friday deals

Neil Koch

Figured this might be handy as it will be a good time to get deals on current gen hardware/games with the new systems coming out.

Gamestop's ad linked here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699442

Highlights:

$200 250GB PS3 w/ The Last of Us and Batman: Arkham Origins

$200 250GB 360 w/ Tomb Raider and Halo 4

$30 Battlefield 4 (PS3/360)

$30 1 year of PS Plus

B2G1 on used games/accesories

I used to work retail, so I generally avoid Black Friday like the plague, but there is a Gamestop right by where I get off the bus and that $30 for a year of PS Plus looks pretty tempting.

My extremely long planning on waiting to get a PS3 would finally pay off.... if I didn't just have to drop another $1000 on my car yesterday

'

Well and if my family didn't plan on getting gifts for the holiday.

I think I might finally invest in a PS3. Always wanted a blu-ray player, too. And it comes with a critically acclaimed game and a new release? Sign me up.

The big question though, does this extend to online shopping? Because the nearest Gamestop is.. fuck, I don't even know.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Friday console bundles are usually pretty plentiful from a variety of different retailers, both online and B&M, including most major chains, plus NewEgg and Amazon.

BTW: For any Black Friday deal that doesn't have a unique SKU (meaning no Black Friday console bundles), Discover's price protection is valid. They're the only credit card company whose price protection covers doorbusters/limited quantity Black Friday deals (Chase and others will match non-doorbusters). Got two 50" TVs for $300 each that way last year.

• 2 weeks later...

But, you get time-and-a-half, bro!

Yippee. $12/hr to work one of the few days off Americans get each year. That basically amounts to an extra $30 if they work from 5pm-midnight. Why anyone would do that, if not forced, is beyond me.

In happier news, I am already getting Black Friday ads for everything from fitness equipment to clothes. I get all of my Christmas shopping done on Black Friday. It is my favorite holiday of the year. Although all of those PS3 bundles are really making me kick myself for pulling the trigger last year (inFamous 1&2 and Uncharted 1&2). The GTA5 bundle really hurt to see. I've yet to play any of the four games I got last year, and I'm probably going to end up buying GTA5, The Last of Us and the new Arkham game (all of which were or are current bundle offerings).

I just got a new (well, used) PS3 a couple of months ago because my old one died and I wanted to play GTAV right away (I had it pre-ordered).  I should have really just cancelled my pre-order and gotten the GTAV bundle, but the GTA games are my favorite and it was worth it for me to not have to wait to play it. 

I feel your pain, El Dragon.  I used to work warehouse at Target stores and I would have to go in at 6PM on Thanksgiving (nothing like unloading trucks on a belly full of turkey) and work until 10 AM on Black Friday because I would handle some of the crowd control.  How crazy people got (literally stampeding) to get some chintzy doorbuster freebie always amazed me.  I really couldn't see trying to get everything out to the floor with customers around like they do nowadays.  It was bad enough having them start to queue up around 3AM.

In 2010, I worked 9-5 on Thanksgiving at my lovely retail job at a tool store. I did it because...

A) My family wasn't going anywhere due to prior obligations, so I wasn't exactly missing a huge family gathering.

B) I missed about a month of work a couple of months earlier due to a health issue.

C) They were offering not just time and a half, but eight hours of holiday pay too - so essentially, 20 hours of pay for an eight hour shift.

The sad thing? We were actually moderately busy thanks to a 20% your whole order coupon we were forced to give out the week prior. The endeavor ended up biting the company in the ass, as costs > revenue on that day, and they didn't do it again the next year.

Last year was the first Black Friday I didn't work since 2002 thanks to my new job. I don't miss that shit at all, and I didn't even work in places that got smashed by the usual rush.

I saw some deals on 55" LEDs at Best Buy but I highly doubt they will have more than a few in stock. Does anyone know of any other TV deals going on? Maybe something on Amazon?

If you don't lose a piece of your soul every time you walk through the doors of Walmart (or don't care about not having a soul), they are listing a Vizio 60" smart LED 1080p television as guaranteed in-stock for the first hour. for $688. Sam's Club has a 55" Vizio LED TV for $548 with free online shipping. Target is listing a Samsung 55" for $697.99.Other brick & mortar places that sell TVs are probably going to be in a similar range.

Amazon's Black Friday starts on Saturday. New deals every ten minutes. Walmart has also stated that they're willing to price-match just about anything under the sun.

GTA V and Batman: Arkham Origins will be $34 at both retailers.

So close...

GZUKvFD.gif

Some of the Wal-Mart deals I've seen:

- 32" TV for $98

- 70" Vizio TV for $688

- AC4 for $34

- iPad Mini for $299 and you get a $100 GC

All of these are "guaranteed in-stock for an hour".

Damn, wish I would have not gotten a TV a month ago now.  I got a 55" Vizio and it's the one that Amazon is going to have on sale for $479 and I got it for $630.  I thought I got a great deal and turns out I could have a 70" for a little more. 

I still have a 42" TV, which is big enough. Sometimes though...sometimes I wonder what it would be like watching bullcrap TV like Food Network on a 70" screen TV.

Yep, as a society, we are screwed.

Damn, wish I would have not gotten a TV a month ago now.  I got a 55" Vizio and it's the one that Amazon is going to have on sale for $479 and I got it for $630.  I thought I got a great deal and turns out I could have a 70" for a little more. 

Seems like a good place to ask. What's really the difference between 60hz and 120? I see a lot of deals, I never really knew what the difference is.