DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Remember in January people including me thought that Omega not being involved with New Japan was going to hurt them, Don't get me wrong , he was killing it all the way up till end but, him leaving lead to other people stepping up. Also alot of his Elite buddies didn't really fit in New Japan. People felt like AEW would be the better company to partner with than current  ROH but other than Omega and maybe the Lucha Bros, I dont see anyone else would fit.

I think Marty showed in the BOSJ that he still fits in New Japan.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

But he is still in RoH and I think we don't have 100% confirmation that he is going to AEW after his contract ends?

I doubt at this point he’s staying in ROH. His stock is just too high to stay in that company.

But as Ziggy stated... New Japan is back. A combination of disgruntled WWE talent leaving, native talent stepping up, Will Ospreay blossoming, certain G1 veterans not being allowed in, Young Lions showing true superstar potential on the undercard, and also for me personally, Honma can still really go in those tags.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

everything from the Os-Cutter on the floor during Okada / Ospreay was some of the best wrestling I've ever seen.  Just gripping stuff.  Was absolutely convinced that it was Ospreay's time.  Need to watch it again.  Holy shit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This whole thing is hilarious. "And you... you really fucked those aliens."

Thank you for this.

From what I've seen of the G1 Climax 29, my favourite match so far was Tanhashi vs. Sabre Jr.

• Like 2

I've often gone on about how wrestling as an artform is most closely comparable to dance, so I was surprised while catching up this G1 (which I've enjoyed a bunch of) to realize that a lot of what I don't like about the NJPW finishing stretches is they too closely resemble actual country and swing dancing moves. For example:

Spoiler

PFTqJj.gif

XTzIxg.gif

c8f2afcd50dce4a06f2c700a5145a2d01e2ccb88

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Archibald said:

Its not like RoH and AEW are only options for Marty. He could go to WWE as well and I'd think he'd do rather well in NXT.

I'd say he would do well if they weren't hoarding talent. There's just too much talent and not enough spots and tv time in nxt. I'd be shocked if Marty ends up anywhere other than AEdub.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

They've been hunting at that to the point of him making guest appearances. Unless there's a big last minute change of heart he's going to be in AEW. 

Lagging way behind but I am so happy Archer is doing this well. That match with Kenta was really fun and the Ospreay match was one of the best of the tournament. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

They've been hunting at that to the point of him making guest appearances. Unless there's a big last minute change of heart he's going to be in AEW. 

Lagging way behind but I am so happy Archer is doing this well. That match with Kenta was really fun and the Ospreay match was one of the best of the tournament. 

Who knew all it would take was DBS, Jr. leaving to get this out of Archer?

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thank you for this.

From what I've seen of the G1 Climax 29, my favourite match so far was Tanhashi vs. Sabre Jr.

Good shout. I can't recall perfectly but I don't think they left the ring once, and barely ran the ropes at all. It was a nice refreshing change of pace from the flippity flops and strong-style exchanges.

Between this match , super dickhead Zack vs SANADA and the amusement of the sneaky win vs Fale, I don't think there are 3 matches featuring the same wrestler that I enjoyed more than those 3 as of night 7.

Edit after thinking about it: maybe Tana vs KENTA, Okada and ZSJ would just beat it out.  

Edited by Custos
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Custos said:

Good shout. I can't recall perfectly but I don't think they left the ring once, and barely ran the ropes at all. It was a nice refreshing change of pace from the flippity flops and strong-style exchanges.

Between this match , super dickhead Zack vs SANADA and the amusement of the sneaky win vs Fale, I don't think there are 3 matches featuring the same wrestler that I enjoyed more than those 3 as of night 7.

Edit after thinking about it: maybe Tana vs KENTA, Okada and ZSJ would just beat it out.  

Cheers matey. Spotted the avatar change!

Night 5 was all good stuff up and down the card. KENTA starting to kill it and Archer continuing to shine. Dug EVIL and Sanada, equals where either guy could come out on top. Liked Okada using the surprise pin to win again. Great stuff from Tanahashi/Sabre and Ospreay/Ibushi as expected.

Night 6; really dug Shingo/Taichi, both have been highlights for me thus far. Thought Cobb looked his best against Juice while Juice has continued to impress throughout the tournament. Moxley/Ishii was a real war and stole the show no doubt.

Just finishing night 7. Sabre/Fale was fun. Tanahashi/Archer was awesome, Lance busting out some impressive stuff and an out of nowhere finish. KENTA and EVIL both looked great, GTS looked good here. Ibushi/Sanada was great, loved the reversal sequence from the Kamigoye leading into Sanada hitting his own, that ruled.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, Lawful Metal said:

everything from the Os-Cutter on the floor during Okada / Ospreay was some of the best wrestling I've ever seen.  Just gripping stuff.  Was absolutely convinced that it was Ospreay's time.  Need to watch it again.  Holy shit.

Everything this^. Maybe my new favorite match of the G1 so far, absolutely loved it. Rainmaker vs Stormbreaker, definitely thought Ospreay was going over here. That chop above... killer. So many great sequences. Ospreay hitting everything except the Stormbreaker, but the one reversal where he almost hit was excellent. Loved the Rainmaker caught into Spanish Fly. Amazing match, felt like both had given their all by the end. Ospreay still feels elevated in defeat.

• Like 2