DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

Naito vs. Ishii was every Naito vs. Ishii match ever but they have such a great dynamic that it will always be good.

Shingo vs. Moxley was really good too. It was a very psychologically sound match and Moxley in control is really fucking good. His leg work was awesome. Shingo did a good job selling too.

Watched Okada/Ospreay and Moxley/Shingo this morning. Okada/Ospreay was terrific, my worldwide MOTY now. Really enjoyed Moxley/Shingo, I like matches with limb targeting and this match was that. Such a contrast between Motivated Mox and Dean Ambrose shortly after he returned last August in WWE.

Need to see Tanahashi/KENTA and Okada/Tanahashi. Might do Archer/Ospreay also.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Custos said:

Moxley / Shingo was a logical build to the finish even if Red Shoes gave way too much leeway with the weapons. 

Objects that surround the ring are legal to use as weapons as long as you use them on the outside. This has been a thing in Japanese wrestling kayfabe for a long time(Heck in America wrestling kayfabe you can throw people into steps, posts, and tables as long as you aren’t swinging something). So at least this has been a consistent thing. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

A whip into the barrier or a quick shot with a chair is one thing, but when you can methodically dissect your opponent's limbs with weapon after weapon it tends towards the farcical and you wonder why everyone doesn't do it. But I appreciate your point that it is consistent in Japanese kayfabe. And if Moxley is fluent in the language of violence it makes sense that it would be an integral part of his game plan.

I do love Moxley's take on whether Shingo is a Junior: 'if he's a cruiserweight, I'm one of the Doobie brothers! He's a rhino!'  

Edited by Custos
Moxley is fluent not fluid...well he might be but anyway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Meltz' flakes in:

That's two 5.75 now this year with the BOSJ match with Shingo. What's it going to take Big Willy to reach the rarefied air of Omega and Okada?

• Like 1

I really liked Okada-Ospreay and maybe it was the best of the tournament so far, and I'm probably enjoying this tournament in a holistic sense in a way I never have before, but I haven't thought anything was as instantly AMAZING PERFECT BEST MATCH EVER as quite a few from previous years I could name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

I really liked Okada-Ospreay and maybe it was the best of the tournament so far, and I'm probably enjoying this tournament in a holistic sense in a way I never have before, but I haven't thought anything was as instantly AMAZING PERFECT BEST MATCH EVER as quite a few from previous years I could name.

I agree, but I don't think anybody needs a ******* match; what we need is some really good wrestling and G1 has delivered that. Partly it's me getting used to the product, but even the little bits like Chase Owens threatening to invade Area 51 and Kevin Kelly saying 'That's a terrible idea!!!' and Honma going for the Kokeshi make me laugh pretty hard. People have been using the word 'breezy' and I'd agree, but I'd also use the word 'charming'. It's great content and just fun to watch.

I look forward to ZSJ cutting a promo on Boris real soon lol.

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 3

Cobb makes me miss Elgin. Who might have gotten stale(plus controversial), but at least knew how to build a match the right way with his offense, and selling. Cobb looks like he’s doing his slow, and wandering ode to Gary Albright, but somehow not using Albright’s best spots.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I do consider Cobb to be a weakpoint in the G1, but I found Elgin's overuse of big power offence took away from the believability of his matches. Cobb doesn't look that good out there, but more in a way that reflects his relatively poor showing in the tournament. So it's more ok somehow for me.

My top five G1 Climax 29 matches so far:

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 7. 20th July. *****

2. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 5. 18th July.

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 1. 6th July.

4. Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 6. 19th July.

5. Jon Moxley vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 8. 24th July.

54 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I do consider Cobb to be a weakpoint in the G1, but I found Elgin's overuse of big power offence took away from the believability of his matches. Cobb doesn't look that good out there, but more in a way that reflects his relatively poor showing in the tournament. So it's more ok somehow for me.

With Elgin at least I could rationalize that he is good, but he just needs to tone down some of his shit. Kinda like Omega, just obviously of lower quality. WIth Cobb it is eh, feels like he needs some drastic changes for me start caring.

I am a huge Jeff Cobb fan but yes, this tournament has been a disappointing in-ring showing. It really does feel like - time in the Matanza mask excluded - he is physically incapable of projecting the killer instinct that needs to be on display in an environment such as this. 

I think he is awesome doing six-minute competitive squashes on ROH TV and "indie workrate" type matches, but he is getting super exposed in the tournament. 

• Like 2

He doesn't have an aura for a big power guy and the stuff between his impressive spots isn't good enough. Matanza, as you said, was able to mask those weaknesses due to the blank slate of the horror mask. I too think the world of him but it's been a weakness since I started watching him and he hasn't grown much to change my mind. Maybe being in a more structured environment like nxt would help him out but he'd probably get lost in the shuffle and isn't much of a promo. 

Edited by Oyaji

He looks like a sad greasy guy. I really didn't see it coming, especially with how gassed he's looked. Maybe he's working sick? I'm thinking Cobb's best-case scenario might be heading to WWE and doing a Matanza: Segunda Parte thing.

29 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

He looks like a sad greasy guy. I really didn't see it coming, especially with how gassed he's looked. Maybe he's working sick? 

I think the excruciating hot Japanese summer + being 37 year old big guy, and not getting younger doesn’t help. He still needs to learn how to work within his limitations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Cobb makes me miss Elgin. 

Man, I found myself having the exact same thought the other day.  That’s a scary thought.  Cobb has stunk the joint out.  

On top of all the valid criticism of his usual work, the dude has looked completely out of shape during this tournament.  I hope he’s hurt or something, otherwise he needs to get himself together.

Edited by EVA

At the time, he had the momentum of Lucha Underground and starring in some fantastic tag matches with Matt Riddle in PWG. Why wouldn't we have wanted him to replace move spamming misogynist who almost killed Ishii?

• Like 1

Definitely, and I don't think we can write him off because of a let-down of a tournament so far. He has stuff to offer and I'm surprised it isn't working out.

I think the Japanese heat, his age, and his size all play a part. I remember people ripping him for being gassed in the early showings in Reseda too and the legion hall was a sweat box of the highest order. In hindsight, his role in Lucha Underground was perfect for him. He had a helluva manager to serve as a mouthpiece (I miss Dario!) and his gimmick and mask had built in menacing aura that he lacks without it.