DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

That's one way to get a double main event.   Naito could defend the IC against Taichi (or Mox or White if they beat Naito)  night 1 then go for the IWGP Night 2.

To make it "fair"  Okada could also have a singles on Night 1, perhaps Minoru?  He could also be Liger's farewell bout?

I know this would never happen, but calling out Omega would be a huge swerve, esp if AEW and NJPW were in real talks and just pretending to be mad at each other. 

Edited by alstein

KENTA has definitely found his groove, and the way he was manhandling Okada around was impressive. I too thought it was going to end in a time limit, had little hope that KENTA would have gone over but still had my fingers crossed. And Archer stays on a roll, hopefully he stays healthy through to the end and has half a dozen standout performances by the conclusion of the tournament. 

And I would be remiss not to mention ZSJ's latest meltdown, I was wondering when Boris Johnson would send him over the edge. You're not the only one, bruv...

I thought Cobb looked slightly better against Taichi than he has done for the rest of the tournament. Shingo / Jay was tonnes of fun, the crowd was on fire when Shingo was bringing it, he's such a star (also helps that Jay is such a tool).

I think Naito's the first one to have a better out-of-the-ring game than Moxley, loved the run-up dropkick. And also Moxley's interesting interpretation of 'Tranquilo'. Wow are they putting Mox over strong, surely he'll have to be back a few times if he keeps up this string of wins.

Also, doesn't this all but eliminate Naito? I don't think he can come back now unless Mox loses all four, which seems unlikely. Although if that makes Ibushi the favourite, he'd be beating Okada on the way to earning a shot against Okada. Unless someone else beats Okada for the title first, or Okada wins it all and picks a challenger, or the G1 winner loses the briefcase... Fair play to NJPW, they've made what looked like a great but predictable G1 into a very tough one to call.

Finished up the show. Way better show today in Aichii, and the crowd reacted better too. I guess they needed more personality driven matches to get a reaction.

Mox Vs. Naito was a little sloppy. Moxley is getting a bunch of first time matches. Some matches mesh better than others. These meshed well in the character department perfectly. But the move execution was off at times during this. Like the Frankensteiner from the corner. The finishing stretch was perfect, though. Naito is one of those guys who can take awesome DDT bumps, and Moxley was the right guy, with the right finish, at the right time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So, what's the consensus?  Who's winning it all?

Okada winning to pick his challenger -- Kenny Omega? 

Kenta winning the rest and Okada drops two? 

Ibushi or Ospreay going on a run and Okada and Kenta losing? 

I don't think anyone's giving Moxley a chance to win it all, even if he runs through B Block.  If not Moxley, who?  How?

I went with Ibushi beating Moxley as my pre tournament prediction and I'll stick with it. One of Sanada or Evil can beat Okada and then Ibushi finally beats Okada last day of the block A matches. Only thing is does that kill the intensity and interest of the Tokyo Dome match between Ibushi and Okada if he's already beaten him in the G1? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I went with Ibushi beating Moxley as my pre tournament prediction and I'll stick with it. One of Sanada or Evil can beat Okada and then Ibushi finally beats Okada last day of the block A matches. Only thing is does that kill the intensity and interest of the Tokyo Dome match between Ibushi and Okada if he's already beaten him in the G1? 

Not really... The ultimate goal would now be to win the big one from Okada. Kobashi beat Misawa in tags, and Carnival’s prior to beating him for the GHC, and that didn’t diminish that major moment. Also for me there is a huge difference to the importance of a G1 match, and a title match, especially when the later takes place at the Dome.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I'll reserve my predictions until we reach the A and B block finals. I don't think Moxley is beating Yano or White though. Him beating Yano eliminates so many people from winning really early. 

Edited by Six String Orchestra

Ishii continues to be the MVP of the block if not the whole damn G1. Also you would think Juice has moved up the totem pole should be a sure fire contender for the IC Title.

Moxley vs. Naito was a damn good main event. I would love to see Yano pull off the upset of the millenium and be the one to stop Moxley from winning the B block, but I have a feeling he's running undefeated up to his rematch with Juice at the end.

God, I hope AEW/NJPW work something out. Moxley in Japan has been so fun and we haven't even gotten Mox/Suzuki yet.

• Like 1

I'm a big Kazuchika Okada fan.  I'd like to see Okada win G1 Climax 29 as the reigning IWGP Heavyweight Champion. Okada's nearly done it all, add another record to his tally. I'm imagining Okada picking Will Ospreay or Justin Thunder Liger as his Wrestle Kingdom challenger. Doubt it happens so fantasy booking it is!

• Like 1

After the last few days, I have this feeling that the finals is Tanahashi Vs. Moxley. What gave me this hint was Tana’s story with the High Fly Flow fucking up his knee after the Sanada match(Which I’m sure he legit did, but wrestling is a funny business, with kayfabe, and shoot injuries), and Moxley now using Tana’s cloverleaf. Moxley even suspiciously didn’t use it during the Naito match. Like he was trying to make us forget he used it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 hours ago, Control said:

So, has Moxley won anyone over with his performances? I know many of you were already onboard, but I’m wondering if he’s turned any haters.

Bumpy road for me. As earlier said, basically everything is first time matches for him so there is lots of sloppiness in the actual wrestling. But his character work is solid and he has decent ideas. Thou I wasn't a hater, I think his match against Juice was his second best after Mox/Ishii.

Well then, Mox beating Naito means that Naito is eliminated in the middle of the tournament unless... Mox loses to Yano, Goto, White and Juice. He can also get a draw against one of them (asides of White) and lose to others. I don't know, to me that sounds like perfect example of booking yourself into the corner. I remember I had same problem last year with Okada losing first two matches and then just winning everything else. And well, this year they also did that with White and Ibushi as well. Those early loses and winning streaks are surprising and cool, but they seriously mess up second half of the tournament for me. It is tolerable when one guy wins too much or loses to much early in the tournament, but White, Naito and Mox doing it in the same block is just too much for me.

• Like 2