DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Contentious C

Embiid with a monster game last night.

Guys just have no chance if they are driving into him.  His timing and range as a rim protector is legit special.  If he is knocking down 3s you can go ahead and call game.  That’s basically what happened last night.

Also, 

Sixers rolling with Point Ben in transition and Point Jimmy in the halfcourt is the ideal way to use both those guys. It apppears that Toronto does not have the firepower to match despite the incredibly efficient massive games from Kawhi.

Edited by Jrag

I didn't want to comment on Celts/Bucks too early. I like what they did in game 1 but the ugliness of their offense reared it's head in the 3rd quarter of game 2 and then the Bucks finally went on a tear.  I think Boston needs to win these two at home to take the series and I'm not sure I can see it happening.  Tatum has been a no show.  

McCollum apparently scored 44pts in 1 second of play last night. 

(There is some very confused programmer waking up today to extremely angry emails.) 

9 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

and yet somehow the Rockets are the heels in this

They really aren’t. Most NBA people are rooting for them. Who is out here clamoring for GS to win another ring? 

You are clearly a heel, yes, but I don’t let that cloud my judgement of the actual team.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 3

After they leaked that insane, whine ass "report"? The Rockets are clearly heels.

I'm not saying the Warriors are faces, not I've not heard a single person I know say they want the Rockets to win.

• Like 5

James Harden is the most dislikeable superstar in the association for me. Dude is always hunting to get fouled and the steps on his step back are absurd. The leg kickout on his jumpshot... I am so glad the league at least tried to cut down on fuckers looking for 4 point plays by jumping into defenders. It made last year's playoffs nigh unwatchable. I can understand how talented he is and that he has at least tried to improve his still pretty bad perimeter D and not like him in the slightest. He and CP3 are also endlessly working the refs. I get that everybody does this but it seems particularly true with these two. Not a fan of ISOball guys. It was actually refreshing to see Giannis lose when he tried too much hero ball in game 1. I'll forever have a soft spot for the totally revamped offense that Pop put into place with all of the movement on and off the ball that led to the Warriors perfecting it before Durant showed up and they went more iso heavy (understandably). 

Giannis gets to the line a lot but that's because he's a physical marvel that is almost impossible to stop from the basket without fouling, particularly when they allow him 3.5 or 4 steps. I wish they'd just change the rule to allow more steps but also call it strictly. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not saying the Warriors are faces, not I've not heard a single person I know say they want the Rockets to win.

I dunno. Maybe it’s just wanting to see a good series, but the general feeling around the NBA media types was disappointment when the Rockets went down 0-2.

I couldn’t imagine rooting for the Warriors over anyone at this point. That shit was old before KD even got there in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

James Harden is the most dislikeable superstar in the association for me. Dude is always hunting to get fouled and the steps on his step back are absurd. The leg kickout on his jumpshot... I am so glad the league at least tried to cut down on fuckers looking for 4 point plays by jumping into defenders. It made last year's playoffs nigh unwatchable. I can understand how talented he is and that he has at least tried to improve his still pretty bad perimeter D and not like him in the slightest. He and CP3 are also endlessly working the refs. I get that everybody does this but it seems particularly true with these two. Not a fan of ISOball guys. It was actually refreshing to see Giannis lose when he tried too much hero ball in game 1. I'll forever have a soft spot for the totally revamped offense that Pop put into place with all of the movement on and off the ball that led to the Warriors perfecting it before Durant showed up and they went more iso heavy (understandably). 

The Rockets, more than anything, have proved the worth of ISO ball in the right hands. The pass heavy teams, like GS and Philly, are more fun to watch I agree, but it’s no surprise those two teams turn the ball over at a crazy high rate.

Harden is obviously the best foul hunting guy ever.  It doesn’t annoy me anymore than, say, the endless series of moving screens the Warriors set to get Klay and Steph open.  In both situations, it’s the best guys in the league manipulating the game based on the way the refs are calling it.

For me, Harden’s vision and ability to control the game at his own pace will be fun to watch regardless of how many trips he takes to the line.  He continues to add stuff every year, too.  I always have mad respect for the stars who continuously improve.  This year he added that floater and oh boy is it a killer.

Edited by Jrag

I don't get it.  People are saying that Durant's numbers in this series are otherworldly and proof that he's the best player on the planet, and Harden is notorious playoff choker.

Harden and Durant have nearly identical stats. 

And playoff choker is dumb because Harden has been to two Western Conference Finals in the last three years, and made the playoffs every year.  I think the only first round exits were to the Blazers when Dame hit that shot over Chandler Parsons, and lost to Golden State as an 8 seed the year McHale got fired -- incidentally Harden hit a game winner to hit stave off a sweep.  Yeah, he had a bad game in an elimination game against San Antonio -- it happens. It happens to everybody.  Jordan, Kobe, everyone.  Nobody calls Steph Curry a choker for blowing a 3-1 lead to LeBron and the Cavs.  Curry was garbage in that series.  Hell, Golden State blew a 31 point lead to the Clippers THIS YEAR. 

Kevin Durant and Giannis each have 30+ more free throws in the playoffs than James Harden.  Giannis has played less games, too.  I think.  Harden's free throws per game are down in the playoffs vs. the regular season. 

You stick your arm out against Harden, you'll foul him.  You still hit his arm while shooting, and he'll still likely make it.  You back off, he'll step back without traveling and hit the three over him.  You play him close, arms in or up, he'll blow by you and get fouled by the help defense or he'll get a layup.  Yes, it is ISO heavy.  But that's how the team was constructed. 

He rarely hits the deck like Ginobli (or Giannis).  He may do a head snap or something like that, but no more than just about any other player.  His reputation as a flopper or manipulator of the rules is ridiculous.  This isn't Durant's rip move.  He is smart enough to hold his arms out where it looks like you can strip the ball from him, and if you take the bait, you're going to foul him.  And people always take the bait. 

Even more, his game is not predicated on elite athleticism, height or length.  He's intelligent and takes what the defense gives him.  And if they collapse on him he's unselfish and will rack the assists.  He's the ultimate pick your poison player. 

Harden has improved on defense.  He doesn't get targeted like Steph Curry or Enes Kanter.  His post defense this year was elite.  Kevin Durant's numbers when guarded by Harden are awful.  Also, he provides so much on the offensive side it doesn't really matter much.  Steph Curry is a much, much worse defender and gets a pass. 

Harden's rep as unlikeable is a total media narrative.  He doesn't get in trouble.  He doesn't create controversy.  He just hoops. 

Warriors/Rockets SHOULD feel like Wyatts/Shield at that Elimination Chamber. But I'm pretty over both teams. It's more like "Cesaro/Sheamus/KO vs. Finn/Uso's" for me. Talented dudes but nothing I really want to watch save for the duty of having to watch.  The collective whining (more politicking) for ref's calls in the early few games from both teams was ridiculous. KD is the lamest dude in the NBA. And, sorry, but Houston can be a chore to watch. I get what they're the worst part of 00s basketball -- super iso -- but instead of mid-range drives it's step-back threes with kicked out legs. 

Blazers/Nuggets has been just an absolute blast. I fell asleep before the end of regulation from the last game and woke up to see 4OTs. Jokic, Dame and CJ are three of the most fun players in the world to watch.